D.Michael Quinn is still a target by DCP

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

D.Michael Quinn is still a target by DCP

Post by Rivendale »

In his list he gave the buzzt to a suggestion to include D. Michael Quinn's book Early Mormonism and the Magic World view as a candidate for the top 5 faith promoting books.. For his justification he pulled this 1988 review he did.https://disq.us/url?url=https%3A%2F%2Fs ... id=2318198
huckelberry
God

Re: D.Michael Quinn is still a target by DCP

Post by huckelberry »

one of the top five faith promoting books, is that a serious suggestion? I mean do you know Mormons who keep a copy close at hand for devotion? Or consider it an important faith promotion?

The book is interesting, and a valuable look at the time and culture. I realize it can be read as fitting with faith. I found it a background for possible consideration how the history might have proceeded without supernatural involvement.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

If the list was one of "faith promoting" works, then I don't think Early Mormonism and the Magic World View, despite being a very important book, fits on it. People generally do not look to have their preconceptions about their religion challenged, and when they are, they rarely look at the experience as faith promoting, except perhaps in the long run and in retrospect. I found EMMWV intellectually illuminating and liberating. For me it did nothing less than change my entire conception of early Mormonism.

If, however, you are LDS, and you just want to truck on comfortably as an LDS person who enjoys their LDS life, then I don't think EMMWV will be high on the list of recommended works to keep you comfortable on your journey.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think I see Dr. Peterson's point. Being able to scry ancient writings from your seer stone or being visited by the ghosts of Nephites past and keeping the Christmas in your heart the rest of your days, can be quite faith-affirming depending on your perspective.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

I liked the book and read it. But, not being peer reviewed I see the book for what it is, mainly.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

I see that Ben Park and Sam Houston State University are organizing a conference that looks at the life and legacy of D. Michael Quinn.

Event Sponsors:
  • Dialogue Foundation
  • Howard W. Hunter Chair of Mormon Studies, Claremont Graduate University
  • Leonard J. Arrington Chair of Mormon History and Culture, Utah State University
  • Mormon History Association
  • Mormon Studies Initiative, University of Utah
  • Smith-Pettit Foundation
  • Sunstone Foundation
But no BYU, and no Interpreter Foundation.

D. Michael Quinn: The Life and Times of a Mormon Historian
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

malkie wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:07 pm
I see that Ben Park and Sam Houston State University are organizing a conference that looks at the life and legacy of D. Michael Quinn.

Event Sponsors:
  • Dialogue Foundation
  • Howard W. Hunter Chair of Mormon Studies, Claremont Graduate University
  • Leonard J. Arrington Chair of Mormon History and Culture, Utah State University
  • Mormon History Association
  • Mormon Studies Initiative, University of Utah
  • Smith-Pettit Foundation
  • Sunstone Foundation
But no BYU, and no Interpreter Foundation.

D. Michael Quinn: The Life and Times of a Mormon Historian
I never understood why a single secular University would not have taken him on as faculty. And I think even Quinn pointed out that one patron was going to withhold his annual million dollar donation if they hired him.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Rivendale wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:18 pm
I never understood why a single secular University would not have taken him on as faculty. And I think even Quinn pointed out that one patron was going to withhold his annual million dollar donation if they hired him.
What good are deep pockets if you can't blackball inconvenient historians?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:56 pm
I liked the book and read it. But, not being peer reviewed I see the book for what it is, mainly.
It was literally peer reviewed by Peterson and Ricks. I really wish you weren’t what you are sometimes.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:34 am
Bought Yahoo wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:56 pm
It was literally peer reviewed by Peterson and Ricks. I really wish you weren’t what you are sometimes.

- Doc
This is straight up twilight zone stuff.