"Finger Lakes" Theory of Book of Mormon Geography

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: "Finger Lakes" Theory of Book of Mormon Geography

Post by MG 2.0 »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:34 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:34 pm

The volcanic/tectonic activity described in the Book of Mormon could not have occurred on the eastern seaboard. If Joseph used Delmarva geography to create his ‘fiction’ he sure blew it by inserting the cataclysmic narrative that doesn’t COME CLOSE to fitting in with reality. It’s funny, at times folks want to make Joseph out to be a genius (aware of and having read every book being published at his time) and at other times a country bumpkin who was fumbling around neither making heads or tails of reality.

The fact that these chapters/verses ARE in the Book of Mormon acts as another witness that Joseph wasn’t the author. It’s a red flag, of sorts. To say that he inserted these chapters/verses into the Book of Mormon “for effect” is just silly. If he had concocted a false Delmarva geography and then inserted such a wild and unrealistic narrative of earthquakes and volcanic activity he would be shooting himself in the foot.

You’re saying he was THAT dumb?

C’mon.

Regards,
MG
MG, I do not quite see why you are asking about volcanic activity. I read in the Book of Mormon about destruction from tempest storm lightning fires earthquakes, a city sinking into the sea and another being buried. I do not see volcanoes. As physics guy mentioned the darkness does not fit a Volcano. Believe me I was in the darkness created by Mt St Helens. It was very dark but did not prevent fire or sources of light.

I suppose you might project the idea of volcano because there are volcanoes in the area you prefer to see the books events taking place. I think the destruction described could have happened on the US eastern seaboard as likely or unlikely as most anyplace else.
It might be well to consider the time period in which the destruction is described in the Book of Mormon. Eastern seaboard doesn’t seem to fit very well. Here’s a good place to start:

https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/vie ... ntext=jbms

https://knowhy.bookofmormoncentral.org/ ... -34th-year

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

And if you really wanna get into it, here’s a long list of references:

https://knowhy.bookofmormoncentral.org/ ... e3_ljls0pw

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Here is a paper that describes instances of impenetrable darkness:

https://archive.bookofmormoncentral.org/node/111

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:31 pm

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with any of that apologetic rubbish.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:50 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:31 pm

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with any of that apologetic rubbish.
You gotta include volcanism and/or earthquakes on the scale described in the Book of Mormon into your Delmarva theory Shulem. If you have HALF the imagination Joseph Smith had you should be able to do it.

I challenge you. 🙂

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:56 pm
I challenge you. 🙂

I bear you my testimony that I know the Delmarva theory is true. This knowledge has been revealed via Joseph Smith through me.

I testify that America is the only land of promise in which Smith imagined for his novel.

Amen
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

MG, I suppose that some details of the destruction like unable to light a fire could be poetic expression not quite literal analysis. That would help make volcano a possible fit. Still I read earthquake, severe storm and supernatural darkness as better fitting the description.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:09 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:56 pm
I challenge you. 🙂

I bear you my testimony that I know the Delmarva theory is true. This knowledge has been revealed via Joseph Smith through me.

I testify that America is the only land of promise in which Smith imagined for his novel.

Amen
But as I mentioned earlier, it is interesting that Joseph was interested in current theories in regards to migrations from the Old World and how those might fit in with the Lehites and other Book of Mormon peoples. The fact that he himself was open to various geography theories seems to show that he didn’t have any firm opinion one way or the other, although he did express some of his views.

If the Book of Mormon is a revealed text you would expect that Joseph would be just as interested as anyone else in speculating about Book of Mormon geography. And at one time or another he seemed to be all over the place as he looked at one theory/opinion versus another.

Anyway, I appreciate the fact that you have your opinions in regards to Book of Mormon geography. If Joseph was around maybe he would look at yours too as a possibility. Although he might also question why your geography doesn’t show/result in a good match with the internal narrative of the Book of Mormon.

That is, if he had/has an expert knowledge on geology/tectonic plates. He probably does by now. 😉 But back then when he lived? What a risk to describe/include the destruction narrative in the Book of Mormon in such great deal detail and specificity.

Unless he was simply describing what was revealed.

Along with Chiasmus and multiple authors in the Book of Mormon, one would have to agree that Joseph was an absolute genius/savant as he was looking through his stone in a hat and coming up with all this stuff…that FITS the narrative. Granted, we’ve had to speculate as to where that narrative was located.

Fictional vs. real? The question that will be with us until…

And just as with so many other things we are left with flipping the coin, in a sense, and left to choose faith over complete skepticism and/or agnosticism in these matters. Interesting how that works.

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:47 pm
But as I mentioned earlier, it is interesting that Joseph was interested in current theories in regards to migrations from the Old World and how those might fit in with the Lehites and other Book of Mormon peoples. The fact that he himself was open to various geography theories seems to show that he didn’t have any firm opinion one way or the other, although he did express some of his views.

You've still NOT read the thread. Look, anything Smith said after he wrote the Book of Mormon does NOT matter other than the fact that he agreed with Oliver that the final battles were fought at Cumorah in New York State.

MG, if you don't read this thread, I'm gonna have to slap you. Now read it! All of it.

;)
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:47 pm
If the Book of Mormon is a revealed text you would expect that Joseph would be just as interested as anyone else in speculating about Book of Mormon geography. And at one time or another he seemed to be all over the place as he looked at one theory/opinion versus another.

If, if, if.

Look, all that matters is what's written in the Book of Mormon and what Smith said afterward makes no difference so long as his followers believed. He let it ride to whatever end it would go. He was fine with that. He was fine with the idea that Book of Mormon peoples expanded and covered the whole hemisphere so long as his followers believed the book and sustained him as the prophet. Smith kept a tight lip on Book of Mormon geography and for good reason. But his original landing for Lehi was at Delmarva, the southern tip.

Read the thread, MG.