God the merciful

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: God the merciful

Post by huckelberry »

Rivendale wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:54 pm

The issue seems to be that the particles came from nothing. We don't know if nothing is possible. All we know is at some point fundamental particles were created out of energy released from the initial expansion of the universe. That isn't coming from nothing. And previous the Planck time we just have no way of knowing ,(as of now) what preceded it or if that is even a meaningful question. Something like what is North of the North Pole. Placing an intelligent creator just adds to the mystery rather than explains the mystery. And we may never know.
Rivendale, I can see the physical puzzle you are pointing to. I also agree that adding the idea of an intelligent creator does not help understand the question. However nobody believing in God is trying to answer that question just as absolutely nobody ever believed in Zeus in order to explain lightning. Lightning happens and people used it to illustrate something they believed about Zeus.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:42 am
Rivendale wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:54 pm

The issue seems to be that the particles came from nothing. We don't know if nothing is possible. All we know is at some point fundamental particles were created out of energy released from the initial expansion of the universe. That isn't coming from nothing. And previous the Planck time we just have no way of knowing ,(as of now) what preceded it or if that is even a meaningful question. Something like what is North of the North Pole. Placing an intelligent creator just adds to the mystery rather than explains the mystery. And we may never know.
Rivendale, I can see the physical puzzle you are pointing to. I also agree that adding the idea of an intelligent creator does not help understand the question. However nobody believing in God is trying to answer that question just as absolutely nobody ever believed in Zeus in order to explain lightning. Lightning happens and people used it to illustrate something they believed about Zeus.
Right. And we should pay those people respect for showing us that believing in things we don't understand is not the best pathway to truth. The time to believe something is when we have sufficient evidence to support it. What do you mean nobody believed in Zeus? How do you know that? If someone sees something in the natural world and attributes it to a deity they had to have a foundation for the belief previously. I agree it fits their preconceived notions regarding the pantheon. Beliefs do not form out of a vacuum. There is a pedagogy that forms the foundation despite its correspondence to reality.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Rivendale, I do not recall thinking or saying nobody believed in Zeus. People were interested in how to effect their destiny by correct observance or respect for Zeus. lightning was poetic window dressing.