God the merciful

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: God the merciful

Post by huckelberry »

dantana wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:48 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:09 pm

Some Christians comment that it appears Mormons are working their way to heaven. They have to complete enough necessary works. The contrasting view is , Mercy means ALL of your sins are forgiven . No adding up involved.
I left the church and also belief in Christianity just a few years after my mission, so I just really don't have much knowledge or memory of ecclesiastical studies. - Saved by grace, not by works - is a phrase we are all familiar with. Falling back on my mission days thinking when hearing that phrase - yes, we are saved by grace, but you still gotta do the work. You still have to be a decent human.

I do get it though, when someone excepts Jesus into their heart and is born again, they automatically are compelled to do good things. I still want to challenge though that every one of these people that become born again, do so at different levels of faith, or conviction. Everyone, and I do mean everyone is going to have some level of doubt, since no one actually knows for scientific certainty what happens to the consciousness when we die.

And so, someone, god, is going to have to make some tough calls as to what level of born again conviction makes the cut.
dantana, some years back I spent some time studying theological views on this question. I think I did it enough to get some understanding of what people have said. I also was left with a belief that none of the theological systems really cover all of the question. Uncertainty remains beyond what peoples logic have covered.

I think Physics guy has good points. It is also pleasantly free of some of those old arguments instead allowing God to be able to use some wisdom.

For me it is important to exchange the idea of testing folks for the idea of enabling a creation where people are enabled to fulfill the best possibilities instead of the worse. In an important sense this is not just an individual thing but a group project for the human family. There are fundamental differences between attitudes of wanting to contribute in a positive way and attitudes of preferring selfish resentment and its destructive qualities.

I am put off by some born again talk. I think hope and love being helped to life by a spiritual experience happens to people. I doubt that is the same as a certain level of belief in some religious doctrine. People may crank up a bunch of belief and involve little spiritual renewal. I am put off by the phrase automatically compelled to do good things. I think instead people spiritually see the value in hope and love. They in using their own minds start looking for more constructive choices.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:54 am

I think Physics guy has good points. It is also pleasantly free of some of those old arguments instead allowing God to be able to use some wisdom.

PG wrote:I imagine that whatever is required to be saved is something like a phase transition. Am I solid or liquid, burning or not? It’s not quite a sharp distinction, and I don’t know what God might do about the thin transition zone, but it’s not an arbitrary threshold. Dramatic things really change pretty suddenly.

Huck, PG., I'm not sure that this is what PG. is saying, and you are endorsing, but, if the entity phasing/transitioning is less about a god action - but a more personal action. An action that is even somewhat mechanical and physics related due to the entity acquiring the goods. (pun intended) Then I could be onboard.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
dantana
2nd Counselor

Post by dantana »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:35 am

"Mercy" in Mormonism is sort of like a well-designed User Interface (UI) the hides all the dirty mechanics, but the dirty mechanics are still there. Ultimately, some complex representation in fuzzy set theory will place everyone in exactly the kingdom that they earned "according to their works" per DCP -- assuming he promotes the views of the Book of Mormon.
I bet Dean Robbers could clean this up for me if he were so inclined with a better computer - human analogy.

Axioms for this thought experiment: Entities exist. Abrahamic religions require they be rated and sorted.

If entities must be rated and sorted to permanent disposition, then obviously they must have something about their base component, or their hard wiring that cannot be fixed. Ever. If entities can move through existence gaining knowledge and experiences. If Intelligence can be added to entities, then it can be taken away. It is all then superficial to some sort of blank slate hard drive. How can an entity be personally responsible for having a bad hard drive it couldn't possibly have itself created?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

You're all attacking the logic of Mormonism because you want to drink, steal, murder, and masturbate.

Just look at the health benefits of being religious, read some Interpreter articles every week, and get ready to be the next Jesus Christ on your brand new planet. It's not that hard people.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I've heard that Mormonism once had a universalist component of an all-loving God. Not sure if this accidentally fell off the wagon in that hasty move to Missouri, but had it not, it would certainly have affected LDS history.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
dantana
2nd Counselor

Post by dantana »

My understanding of the Great Gods Pyramid Program, (GGPP) is: There exists an infinite set of universes. The one we find ourselves in belongs to Mormon God. He was awarded it for good behavior during his mortal probation. As the program goes, god sets about to populate his newly acquired kingdom with spirit babies. Wiki says, to date, 100 billion people have existed on the earth so far. Add in the 1/3 cast out of heaven early on,(1) that makes for 150 billion babies god has to make. To think that he does that by actual intercourse is concerning. Me thinks there is prob. a more efficient way. I'm sure he can still have sex anytime he wants, but prob. more just at his leisure. Somewhere between an Incel and Hugh Hef.

So, with his flock all assembled, the rules call for some bureaucratic business. (yea or nay on free agency) That dispensed with, god then picks some favorites, like, Adam, Eve, Jesus, J. Smith, Rush, Hillary, to hold in reserve for important events. The rest of us get sent off to mortal-land for testing, rating and sorting.

All pretty straightforward. The more interesting part though, I think, is the pre, pre land. The relevant Scripture is D&C 93, 29. "Man was also in the beginning with God, intelligence, or the light of truth was not created or made, neither indeed can be."

This realm is a little fuzzy. It's the place where life forms existed before being put into spirit bodies. This is fuzzy because there has been debate among the pundits as to whether life forms existed fully formed and intelligent, or just that their - even more fine, finer matter parts existed there.

My thought experiments say, for it to work it prob. needs to be 'parts', as this would provide for some type of replenishment loop. Because if fully formed intelligences existed in this realm - every one that will ever exist to satisfy product for all of the infinite sets of GGPP universes, some will never come down to be put in spirt bodies lest the system run out.

(1) It's been rumored (by me) that the 1/3 culling was actually a false flag operation coordinated by Hillary, and that it was 99 % men, as any system controlled by polygamists, or Hillary have a finely tuned men/women carburetor.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

dantana wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:09 am
In my estimation, the only way it can work is if every act, non-act, thought, whatever - of every millisecond of a persons entire life is recorded and rated and assigned a value. An extremely complex algorithm is written by god. It is so complex the machine to run it takes up an entire spirit-land stake center gymnasium. The last part though is the easy part. A machine spits out a number for every conceivable thing it thinks needs a value assigned, then anyone with a calculator does the tally.
I mean, how else could this work? And beyond that you’d need a god-machine to read and measure your thoughts and emotions too, no? A celestial brain pattern recorder, EKG, pulse monitor, and karmic balance tracker. Otherwise you risk a capricious and unfair judgement.

That’s why Christians are big on ‘god knows your heart❤️🔥’. So this way every drug addled piece of trash who’s been shot to death or died on ventilator because they spent the previous year being a raging asshole on Facebook will apparently be in heaven and ‘the fam’ will see them again. A baby rapist and murderer who gut prostitutes are going to heaven because Jesus gave them a wink and a nod after they accepted Him into their hearts, while little Johnny candy stealer is getting rocked by Satan for eternity because why not. The absurdity and larping Christians do to make this work in their brains is an endless loop of Biblical cherry picking and mental gymnastics. It’s tiresome, and yet, them Christians have an endless reservoir for denial because, I dunno, annihilation is too fearsome a prospect for their tummies. Best to believe lil’ Johnny the Candy Stealer is Satan’s pleasure serf from now on.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

dantana wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:27 am
Physics Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:50 pm
I imagine that whatever is required to be saved is something like a phase transition. Am I solid or liquid, burning or not? It’s not quite a sharp distinction, and I don’t know what God might do about the thin transition zone, but it’s not an arbitrary threshold. Dramatic things really change pretty suddenly.

My guess is that divine mercy means something like God peering carefully into us for even small saveable grains, little sparks of fire. A smoldering wick he will not put out.
Saying that brings up another aspect, or subset of this topic. That is, what the holy heck even is a soul, where did it come from and why does it need sorted.

When, where and how did souls acquire the undesirable personality traits that require they be tested, rated and sorted. If god is making souls from scratch, putting them in bodies and sending them off to trials, wouldn't he make them all identical and perfect? Why would he then need to examine them by putting them through such un-equal, cluttered up, low quality trials? It appears to me it's more like he is just testing bodies.

The Mormons, with their pre-land and pre-pre-land have just simply added a couple of steps to the game. There is simply no way, place or function for a blank slate soul to self serve itself bad habits.
Johnjoe McFadden and Michael Shermer had an interesting podcast found here.https://youtu.be/c6wD7RVeFoE. Johnjoe explains his theory of consciousness. He explains the "feeling" of being conscious is nothing more than experiencing the electromagnetic field of the brain. The neurons act as receiver and transmitter of the field. This feedback loop of the actually overarching field in connection with different parts of the brain give the sensation of free will. So really if this is true, god would just have to have a map of the electromagnetic field for an entire person's life with a "no-no" template to compare it with.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:20 pm

That’s why Christians are big on ‘god knows your heart❤️🔥’. So this way every drug addled piece of trash who’s been shot to death or died on ventilator because they spent the previous year being a raging asshole on Facebook will apparently be in heaven and ‘the fam’ will see them again. A baby rapist and murderer who gut prostitutes are going to heaven because Jesus gave them a wink and a nod after they accepted Him into their hearts, while little Johnny candy stealer is getting rocked by Satan for eternity because why not. The absurdity and larping Christians do to make this work in their brains is an endless loop of Biblical cherry picking and mental gymnastics. It’s tiresome, and yet, them Christians have an endless reservoir for denial because, I dunno, annihilation is too fearsome a prospect for their tummies. Best to believe lil’ Johnny the Candy Stealer is Satan’s pleasure serf from now on.

- Doc
Doc that is a pretty weird picture. I find it is not something I believe. I find it alien to what I believe.Perhaps some people adopt the formula behind that image because it simplifies things in a way which might satisfy somebody with a real need to feel like they know it all.

I think it is possible that some people are more troubled by being surrounded with unknowns and uncertainties
than they are afraid of annihilation. But of course that could vary with individuals.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:20 pm
Christians have an endless reservoir for denial because, I dunno, annihilation is too fearsome a prospect for their tummies.
Your post demonstrates a very black and white view of things.

I’m willing to leave things in the hands of God.

Regards,
MG