God the merciful

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: God the merciful

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:23 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:20 pm

That’s why Christians are big on ‘god knows your heart❤️🔥’. So this way every drug addled piece of trash who’s been shot to death or died on ventilator because they spent the previous year being a raging asshole on Facebook will apparently be in heaven and ‘the fam’ will see them again. A baby rapist and murderer who gut prostitutes are going to heaven because Jesus gave them a wink and a nod after they accepted Him into their hearts, while little Johnny candy stealer is getting rocked by Satan for eternity because why not. The absurdity and larping Christians do to make this work in their brains is an endless loop of Biblical cherry picking and mental gymnastics. It’s tiresome, and yet, them Christians have an endless reservoir for denial because, I dunno, annihilation is too fearsome a prospect for their tummies. Best to believe lil’ Johnny the Candy Stealer is Satan’s pleasure serf from now on.

- Doc
Doc that is a pretty weird picture. I find it is not something I believe. I find it alien to what I believe.Perhaps some people adopt the formula behind that image because it simplifies things in a way which might satisfy somebody with a real need to feel like they know it all.

I think it is possible that some people are more troubled by being surrounded with unknowns and uncertainties
than they are afraid of annihilation. But of course that could vary with individuals.
k

eta: Yeah it is weird. There’s no moral nor ideological consistency to Christianity.
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
[...] A baby rapist and murderer who gut prostitutes are going to heaven because Jesus gave them a wink and a nod after they accepted Him into their hearts, while little Johnny candy stealer is getting rocked by Satan for eternity because why not. The absurdity and larping Christians do to make this work in their brains is an endless loop of Biblical cherry picking and mental gymnastics. It’s tiresome, and yet, them Christians have an endless reservoir for denial [...]

- Doc
I stopped being a Christian in part because the mental strain of actually believing in the religion (as opposed to some kind of sanitised diluted form of it) simply became too much for me. A lot of people deal with that problem ... well, let us say 'differently'.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Christianity isn’t really a thing. It’s too broad. You can certainly recognize some strong common themes, but it sounds weirdly sectarian to me to declare that some versions are only “sanitised and diluted versions” of “the religion” itself.

I’m pretty sure that in the 1920s there were physicists who felt that the late 19th century classical version of physics was the only real physics and that if the only way to square physics with reality was going to be all this crazy quantum mumbo-jumbo then the truth was that physics had failed and was wrong, and they’d rather just admit that and do something else instead.

There’s a kind of consistency to that, all right. But there’s another point of view also. You can make big changes and still recognize enough continuity to say that we’re still doing the same thing even though we’re now doing it differently. Especially if what you have in mind by “physics”—or “Christianity”—includes a commitment to searching for truth.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Chap wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:15 pm

I stopped being a Christian in part because the mental strain of actually believing in the religion (as opposed to some kind of sanitised diluted form of it) simply became too much for me. A lot of people deal with that problem ... well, let us say 'differently'.
Perhaps this means Christianity must be full on Westboro Baptist or its just sanitized and diluted. Well there are other possibilities for the full on undiluted real deal. Chick comic, say this prayer or go to hell might be another form of undilute.I think that Doc is referencing the Chic comic religion.

Or perhaps both of those are corruptive additions diluting something else.

Chap, what do you see as the essential(and beyond belief or acceptance) elements not to be lost by sanitisation and dilution? Perhaps some sense of crisis pointing to a need for repentance? Perhaps belief in real walls of Jericho falling down? Perhaps with my question I could admit I am not completely sure that you are wrong.

As so many conservative American Christians sit Trump on a throne near Jesus I do find myself asking if this is revealing the true central nature of Christianity or does it mean that the true hope is being dangerously lost to diluting and corrupting versions.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:55 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:15 pm

Perhaps this means Christianity must be full on Westboro Baptist or its just sanitized and diluted. Well there are other possibilities for the full on undiluted real deal. Chick comic, say this prayer or go to hell might be another form of undilute.I think that Doc is referencing the Chic comic religion.

Or perhaps both of those are corruptive additions diluting something else.

Chap, what do you see as the essential(and beyond belief or acceptance) elements not to be lost by sanitisation and dilution? Perhaps some sense of crisis pointing to a need for repentance? Perhaps belief in real walls of Jericho falling down? Perhaps with my question I could admit I am not completely sure that you are wrong.

As so many conservative American Christians sit Trump on a throne near Jesus I do find myself asking if this is revealing the true central nature of Christianity or does it mean that the true hope is being dangerously lost to diluting and corrupting versions.
Welp. That’s the great thing about religion, you get to make it whatever you want it to be. There’s the No True Christian Escape Clause when it comes to reading the Bible and devising a belief system that works for you. This way when someone states a commonly held Christian belief or dogma, you can easy peasy reference the No True Christian Escape Clause and belief is maintained. There are, after all, a million churches with a billion different hot takes on True Christianity. Obviously I’m referencing the commonly held belief regarding sin and redemption, but Huck, you gots you a No True Christian Escape Clause, brother. Keep your eye on the ball and it’ll all be good.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doc, I realize that the image you presented is a reflection of some understandings of Christianity. I do not claim my own understanding is the only true Christian view but I will not forfeit my responsibility and right to think and have my views move towards what I believe makes sense. I think I have some responsibility to avoid self contradictory views and with Christianity relate my thoughts to those of other Christians.

//////////////////////////////

I think perhaps I should add a bit of what I understand to be explanation. I do not think Christianity started with a book of dogmas about who gets salvation. Christianity started with hope about human values and a sense of a new start for people. It had various conceptual formations that resulted from people thinking about it. That process has continued through the centuries. There are a number of ideas which have become pretty settled. At the same time there is reason to think some christian ideas are more reflections of certain times and cultures and could grow in different directions in relation to new situations. Imperial Rome may have left some shaping that is not valuable to continue. In truth I believe that the best hopes started by Christianity are still looking to be given form in the future. New possibilities for Christianity would be based upon the initial inspiration but not limited to each and every past interpretation of that start.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
dantana wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:09 am
In my estimation, the only way it can work is if every act, non-act, thought, whatever - of every millisecond of a persons entire life is recorded and rated and assigned a value. An extremely complex algorithm is written by god. It is so complex the machine to run it takes up an entire spirit-land stake center gymnasium. The last part though is the easy part. A machine spits out a number for every conceivable thing it thinks needs a value assigned, then anyone with a calculator does the tally.
I mean, how else could this work? And beyond that you’d need a god-machine to read and measure your thoughts and emotions too, no? A celestial brain pattern recorder, EKG, pulse monitor, and karmic balance tracker. Otherwise you risk a capricious and unfair judgement.

- Doc
That's where I'm at also Cam. Consciousness/spirit/soul/intelligence can't actually be made of hard particles. It can't be because then it would just be a product of that. So it isn't anything that can just be looked at with god glasses.

Which brings up another point I have trouble with. How does god control something with no substance? How does he put it in spirit prison like CP does with Binger. There are no purchase points.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Rivendale wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:30 pm

So really if this is true, god would just have to have a map of the electromagnetic field for an entire person's life with a "no-no" template to compare it with.
And that would work well especially with Mormon god, since Mormon god isn't really into woo, and is more akin to being in an advanced alien race than a celestial being.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

What if the question isn’t whether you are saved, but how much of you is saved?
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Physics Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:55 pm
What if the question isn’t whether you are saved, but how much of you is saved?
That encapsulated some Mormon theology accompanied with Christian theodicy. " How can mom be happy knowing her son is in hell?" Answer? That part of mom is gone.