Shulem Cracks Book of Mormon Geography

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: Shulem Cracks Book of Mormon Geography

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:48 pm
Shulem wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:56 pm

The problems with Delmarva are very easy to work out when considering Joseph Smith never saw the land for himself and relied on maps of his day to give him a general idea of what was there. I think the main reason he never exposed/declared Delmarva as the land of Nephi early on was because he was unsure about the exact specifics of the landform and what archeological ruins might exist down there. So he kept a tight lip.
You make it sound as though Delmarva is on the other side of the world. It wasn’t.

I think he would have known more than you might like to think about this area.

Regards,
MG

Smith had never been to Delmarva. It was south of new York and a coastal land in which Smith had never visited. That much we know. Anything he knew about the geography of Delmarva was based on what he read or from conservations with others. You are welcome to think or speculate he may have known more about the area but any knowledge on his part was not based on first hand experience. It would have been based on interpretation and projections from various sources.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:40 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:48 pm

You make it sound as though Delmarva is on the other side of the world. It wasn’t.

I think he would have known more than you might like to think about this area.

Regards,
MG

Smith had never been to Delmarva. It was south of new York and a coastal land in which Smith had never visited. That much we know. Anything he knew about the geography of Delmarva was based on what he read or from conservations with others. You are welcome to think or speculate he may have known more about the area but any knowledge on his part was not based on first hand experience. It would have been based on interpretation and projections from various sources.
Well, OK. I suppose we can leave it at that.

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:55 pm

It's good when we can agree on something.

I think we can also agree that Smith could have examined a map of Delmarva and determined how long it would take man to walk across the narrow neck, do you think?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:17 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:55 pm

I think we can also agree that Smith could have examined a map of Delmarva and determined how long it would take man to walk across the narrow neck, do you think?
It depends on what he thought the surface of the terrain was like. Of course, he wouldn’t have known, right? Did he get it right by simply guessing?

Swampy? Grass fields? Rocky terrain?

What WAS in his mind? Did he just take a crapshoot? Just how detailed were those maps he used?

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:51 pm
Shulem wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:17 pm

It depends on what he thought the surface of the terrain was like. Of course, he wouldn’t have known, right? Did he get it right by simply guessing?

What WAS in his mind? Did he just take a crapshoot? Just how detailed were those maps he used?

Nobody can say how much Joseph Smith knew about the terrain of the narrow neck. Pretty much everyone knew about the canal work being performed by the federal government at that time. Thousands of people worked on the canal. I think it's safe to say the Smith's were aware of the mighty undertaking because it was a much publicized project.

But, know this, Joseph could take his index finger and thumb and pinch them over the narrow neck on the map and then gently swing his hand over New York to compare that distance within his own homeland. Easy enough. A pinch of land takes about a day to cross. Many of the finer maps were equipped with a distance bar in scale of miles.

So, Smith could easily see how much area the narrow neck covered by visualizing it into New York and get a good idea of distance.

Right?

;)
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:36 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:51 pm

Nobody can say how much Joseph Smith knew about the terrain of the narrow neck. Pretty much everyone knew about the canal work being performed by the federal government at that time. Thousands of people worked on the canal. I think it's safe to say the Smith's were aware of the mighty undertaking because it was a much publicized project.

But, know this, Joseph could take his index finger and thumb and pinch them over the narrow neck on the map and then gently swing his hand over New York to compare that distance within his own homeland. Easy enough. A pinch of land takes about a day to cross. Many of the finer maps were equipped with a distance bar in scale of miles.

So, Smith could easily see how much area the narrow neck covered by visualizing it into New York and get a good idea of distance.

Right?

;)
What a con. All this preparation and then he sticks it all on sticky notes in the bottom of a hat. Genius.

Why did I never SEE this? 😉

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:59 am
What a con. All this preparation and then he sticks it all on sticky notes in the bottom of a hat. Genius.

Yes, it was a con. Exactly that! But these notes didn't have sticky on them. Just because Smith put the rock in the hat doesn't mean he put the rock in the hat every time. Sleight of hand could have easily hid the rock in a hand the entire time and the bottom of the hat left unencumbered. Eureka! That's it! Could it be the rock spent more time in Smith's hand than it ever did in the hat? That would solve the problems you brought up previously in the other thread, would it not?

RFM?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:59 am

Regards,
MG
You had not seen RFM's podcast on the magic hat trick. Joseph kept his crib notes in his semi-translucent white stove-pipe hat. The seer stone was just a distraction to explain why Joseph kept looking in his hat.
That would spoil the trick. Look, it really was magic, the rabbit was not concealed in the hat all along, honest. ;)
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:30 am
You had not seen RFM's podcast on the magic hat trick. Joseph kept his crib notes in his semi-translucent white stove-pipe hat. The seer stone was just a distraction to explain why Joseph kept looking in his hat.
I’ve commented on this. Listening to the first podcast that Shulem linked to brought some questions to my mind…which I’ve posed on another thread.

Crib notes in a hat. You REALLY want to stick with that? For the whole Book of Mormon? For the whole translation process?

Regards,
MG
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:17 am

I’ve commented on this. Listening to the first podcast that Shulem linked to brought some questions to my mind…which I’ve posed on another thread.

Crib notes in a hat. You REALLY want to stick with that? For the whole Book of Mormon? For the whole translation process?

Regards,
MG
"The Guinness Book of World Records reports that in 1981 Rajan Srinavasen Mahadevan (known as Rajan) recited the first 31,811 digits of pi from memory and that in 1987 Hideaki Tomoyori broke that record by reciting the first 40,000 digits. "

https://www.encyclopedia.com/psychology ... mnemonists

Of course, it was god.

"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll: