The Church Remains Silent On Ukraine

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

The Church Remains Silent On Ukraine

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

No statement of condemnation for the invasion. No day of prayer or fast.

As usual, the prophet/church will remain silent and stand on the sidelines, while other religions make a stand.

Reminds me of the church on slavery, civil rights, etc.

The church leaders will make hundreds of statements and spring into action at the drop of a gay hat. Prop 8 anyone?

Sorry, I’ll get off my soapbox now. I’m just disgusted.

Gay = Bad

War = Meh
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: The Church Remains Silent On Ukraine

Post by Dr Moore »

Evacuate the missionaries from Russia first. Speak out, they disappear.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:19 pm
No LDS missionaries have been allowed in Russia since 2016. Two LDS 'volunteers'' supposedly giving social service to existing congregations were deported in 2019.

Russia to deport LDS church volunteers found guilty of violating immigration laws

There is really nothing stopping the CoJCoLDS leadership at least making some kind of general expression of a wish for the invasion to stop. I suppose they are waiting for Jesus to turn up in Temple Square with a placard saying 'Blessed are the peacemakers - yes, I really meant it'.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

They pulled the missionaries from Ukraine last month. https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... es-ukraine
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:57 pm
They pulled the missionaries from Ukraine last month. https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... es-ukraine
Thankfully. If I had been a parent of a missionary there I would have lost my mind.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:57 pm
We pray for a peaceful resolution to the tensions in Ukraine and look forward to when the missionaries may return.
Of course the bolded bit is what really matters.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

501c3.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

Chap wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:01 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
No LDS missionaries have been allowed in Russia since 2016. Two LDS 'volunteers'' supposedly giving social service to existing congregations were deported in 2019.

Russia to deport LDS church volunteers found guilty of violating immigration laws

There is really nothing stopping the CoJCoLDS leadership at least making some kind of general expression of a wish for the invasion to stop. I suppose they are waiting for Jesus to turn up in Temple Square with a placard saying 'Blessed are the peacemakers - yes, I really meant it'.
It's probably equal odds that Jesus would turn up in Red Square as Temple Square.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Chap wrote:
Dr Moore wrote:

Ah, thanks! I did not know this.
moinmoin
Nursery

Post by moinmoin »

Chap wrote:

I ran into a man and woman who used to be in my ward at the store last week. Their son had been called to Russia, but had been in Seattle for a year. I asked if he had ever gotten to Russia (not believing that he had), and they said he had been there for about six months, but that they had all been sent home, so he's finishing his mission back in the Seattle mission.

I'm not sure how soon after Covid restrictions lifted that American volunteers nee missionaries have been back in Russia before the invasion, but it was at least six months ago.