Trib’s Second Article on John Dehlin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
consiglieri
Prophet

Trib’s Second Article on John Dehlin

Post by consiglieri »

Looks like Patterson filed an IRS complaint against John Dehlin after all

Though I’m not sure it went very far

Having trouble seeing the point of this article unless it is a feeling by detractors that John makes too much money.

Newsworthy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ame=iossmf
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: Trib’s Second Article on John Dehlin

Post by Binger »

Firewall. No can do. Anyone got the goods?

ETA: I can see the reddit, can't read the original article.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

consiglieri wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:31 pm
Looks like Patterson filed an IRS complaint against John Dehlin after all

Though I’m not sure it went very far
Indeed I did, after consulting with three separate non-profit attorneys, but how far it went is actually something only John can answer. I was told by the IRS and the UT AG’s office that there would be no public results released, either way. The IRS and AG’s office could have fined John and Open Stories Foundation and we’d never know because they’re not nearly big enough to warrant any kind of public response.

It is, however, significant, that the AG’s office found enough in my complaint to open an audit against Open Stories Foundation. John and his board chair claim they were cleared of any wrongdoing, yet are suspiciously unwilling to release the letter they say cleared them.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I have no problem with John Dehlin or church leaders making money off their organizations. Bases off the good John Dehlin does, I think he deserves more. I can’t say the same about the church leaders.

Here is the article on msn:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mormo ... ar-AAUnfVf
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:20 pm
I have no problem with John Dehlin or church leaders making money off their organizations. Bases off the good John Dehlin does, I think he deserves more. I can’t say the same about the church leaders.
I have no problem with John making money. I do have a problem with John violating non-profit rules and personally profiting off tax-exempt donations.

He calls the accusations “baseless” but they weren’t baseless enough to keep the AG’s office from opening an investigation. And not baseless enough to refuse to release the letter he says clears him of any wrongdoing.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

From the msn version:
Natasha Helfer, a sex therapist and motivational speaker who works with Dehlin and is a former member of the Open Stories Foundation board, said Dehlin’s compensation has been based on market analysis and comparisons with other nonprofits.

“I’m comfortable,” Helfer said, “that the board has made decisions that are fair according to market value.”
Next paragraph:
Dehlin said the Open Stories board had “generously set my salary at a fixed level” — one matching what he earned when he left his job as a Microsoft executive 17 years ago.
If I recall correctly, based on discussions here, Dehlin's current salary was set about 4-5 years ago. Amazing how "market analysis and comparisons with other nonprofits" came up with exactly the salary that matched what Dehlin was earning "when he left his job as a Microsoft executive 17 years ago." :roll:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

jpatterson wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:34 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:20 pm
I have no problem with John making money. I do have a problem with John violating non-profit rules and personally profiting off tax-exempt donations.

He calls the accusations “baseless” but they weren’t baseless enough to keep the AG’s office from opening an investigation. And not baseless enough to refuse to release the letter he says clears him of any wrongdoing.

You and Rosebud both filed baseless claims due to personal grievances and that’s why they both went nowhere.

Kudos to John for not giving you two any more attention.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:50 pm
If I recall correctly, based on discussions here, Dehlin's current salary was set about 4-5 years ago. Amazing how "market analysis and comparisons with other nonprofits" came up with exactly the salary that matched what Dehlin was earning "when he left his job as a Microsoft executive 17 years ago." :roll:
Yes, this has long been a main argument of John as to why he’s entitled to personally gain from tax-exempt donations. I left my job at Microsoft to do this for you all, therefore you should pay my PhD. Therefore you should pay me what I used to make.

In its most recent filings, Dehlin’s total compensation is almost double the 90th percentile across the nation for organizations of Open Stories Foundation’s size ($236,000 vs $110,000).

The numbers are further concerning when consideration is taken for the fact that the “Religion-related and spiritual development category” of which the Open Stories Foundation classifies itself, has the lowest median CEO compensation of all non-profit program areas.

Open Stories Foundation should release their executive compensation justification.
jpatterson
Area Authority

Post by jpatterson »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:53 pm
You and Rosebud both filed baseless claims due to personal grievances and that’s why they both went nowhere.

Kudos to John for not giving you two any more attention.
My complaints did not go nowhere. The AG opened up an investigation, the results of which are unclear, because John conveniently refuses to share them. The IRS very well could have fined John/Open Stories Foundation and we would never know.
Dwight
Teacher

Post by Dwight »

Sean Reyes' office opening an investigation that hasn't resulted in anything is nowhere.

Sean Reyes' went and played cowboy white savior in Columbia with Tim Ballard, so we know he loves positive media attention that Mormons would eat up. James you conveniently leave out all sorts of things. For instance yes John Dehlin's salary is quite high for running a non-profit of the size in the religion category, but it's also mostly been a one man show producing podcasts and online content and the board looked at the compensation podcasters made which frankly for the size of Mormon Stories makes John Dehlin's compensation quite middle of the road at best. The board already released the information you are demanding, it's right there for anyone who isn't blinded by their hate of John Dehlin.