Backyard Professor Live Discussion on the Kevin Barney Semitic Adaptation Theory of the Book of Abraham

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Backyard Professor Live Discussion on the Kevin Barney Semitic Adaptation Theory of the Book of Abraham

Post by Philo Sofee »

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5n_8_ ... ju0hu2CFXQ

I will be sharing the ingenious theory of Kevin Barney, The Semitic Adaptation of the Facsimiles and the Book of Abraham concerning the J-Red redactor. Many Mormons apparently feel it is the go to theory in order to demonstrate the Book of Abraham and Joseph Smith are still in the ball game. It will be instructive as well as entertaining for one and all. I am going all out with the evidence in order to assess properly whether it is a valid theory or not. I look forward to see any and all of you there ... Tonight (Sunday), 6 p.m. Mountain, 7 p.m. (Texas), 5 p.m. Pacific, 8 p.m. Eastern time in the United States.
Moksha
God

Re: Backyard Professor Live Discussion on the Kevin Barney Semitic Adaptation Theory of the Book of Abraham

Post by Moksha »

For listeners in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia it will be 9:00 AM Monday.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Re: Backyard Professor Live Discussion on the Kevin Barney Semitic Adaptation Theory of the Book of Abraham

Post by Shulem »

The single most important point to note about Barney's "ingenious theory" in which you will dissect and explain is that it has nothing to do with Joseph Smith's original claims insomuch as the theory would have been directly opposed and rejected by the prophet himself. Indeed, Smith would have chastised Barney's false ideas. Smith would reemphasize his claim of a literal translation of Egyptian into English and affirm the papyrus are literal autographs of Abraham & Joseph, written by their own hands and preserved in tombs by a royal family friendly to the patriarchs. The prophet was on record for officially stating that the records were some 3,500 years old and were literally preserved and remained untouched by God's divine providence.

Kevin Barney's ideas are apostate from what Smith originally taught and claimed. Barney is doing Smith no favors by throwing him under the bus and trampling on his words. On the contrary, I believe it is important to preserve the original ideas and statements made by the prophet in order to keep things in proper perspective. I suppose that is the key difference between Barney and I. With that perspective we allow the chips to fall where they may and in this case we clearly see that Smith is a false prophet. Barney is simply trying to devise a theory to undo Smith's original errors. Two wrongs still don't make a right.
Last edited by Shulem on Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

It has been years since I went though his theory but several problematic issues with it jumped out at me. Here is just a few.

We know Smith used the Hor scroll to produce our current Book of Abraham and we also know that he thought the other scroll he conned other people into buying for him , the Ta-sherit-Min scroll, contained the writings of Joseph. We know that neither of these two scrolls actually say anything about Abraham or Joseph. We know that these two scrolls were written about two hundred year apart and buried with different mummies in different tombs and we know both scrolls ended up in the Lebolo collection which Michael Chandler sold to Smith for $2800.00 of other people's money.

So Barney is proposing a Jewish redactor who is hiding the Book of Abraham in the Hor scroll with some sort of code or double meaning. Hor like scrolls were produced over a period of a few centuries by multiple scribes and had a consistent content. This is one of the ways we know exactly how long the original Hor scroll would have been because we know what the content would have been in this type of scroll so we know what was missing from this type of scroll and how much papyri it would take to write the missing portions. Last I checked there were about 30 of them known to exist, all having the same content. (The Facsimiles that might be attached to this type of scroll did differ.) So Barney is proposing that this particular scroll with the Book of Abraham hiding inside it made its way 2000ish years later into the hands of Smith who could see the hidden message and translate it. On its own that idea is problematic by itself but given that all the other Hor scrolls were written with the same text, over hundreds of years, is he suggesting that each and every one contain a hidden Book of Abraham and that each and everyone was written by a subversive Jewish scribe? That would be hard to imagine but wait it gets worse.

Smith also stated that the other scroll had the writings of Joseph on them. So now are we looking at two instances where one of a kind scrolls, written hundreds of years apart by Jewish redactors hiding Biblical stories in them somehow made their way into Smith's possession 2000 years later?

Yeah it could happen.
Shulem
God

DOA

Post by Shulem »

Nonmembers of the church or all unbelievers of the world have absolutely no reason to consider Barney's ideas over what Joseph Smith originally claimed. Who is Kevin Barney? He's a modern day apologist that is trying to save Smith's work which has thoroughly been proven as false and incorrect on every level and at every facet of examination.

Barney, it's over. It's over. Smith was wrong. You are wrong. You're both wrong. That's the end conclusion of this whole affair and your apostate theory was DOA. I'm sure you're a nice guy and mean well. But you're wrong and it's time to face up and come clean.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

About 3 hours in counting and with everything going on, I need to watch the clock. What if I'm taking a nap and forget to wake up?

Hmmm. Philo, are you up to this task? You're not over your head are you, my little friend?

:lol:

Oh my.
dan vogel
CTR A

Post by dan vogel »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:08 pm
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5n_8_ ... ju0hu2CFXQ

I will be sharing the ingenious theory of Kevin Barney, The Semitic Adaptation of the Facsimiles and the Book of Abraham concerning the J-Red redactor. Many Mormons apparently feel it is the go to theory in order to demonstrate the Book of Abraham and Joseph Smith are still in the ball game. It will be instructive as well as entertaining for one and all. I am going all out with the evidence in order to assess properly whether it is a valid theory or not. I look forward to see any and all of you there ... Tonight (Sunday), 6 p.m. Mountain, 7 p.m. (Texas), 5 p.m. Pacific, 8 p.m. Eastern time in the United States.
I can't find it
dan vogel
CTR A

Post by dan vogel »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:44 pm
About 3 hours in counting and with everything going on, I need to watch the clock. What if I'm taking a nap and forget to wake up?

Hmmm. Philo, are you up to this task? You're not over your head are you, my little friend?

:lol:

Oh my.
I can't find it
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

dan vogel wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:43 am
I can't find it
OMG it's time.

:?

Is there another “F” up?