John Gee & "Interpreter" Deliver Yet Another Book of Abraham Embarrassment

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
consiglieri
Prophet

Re: John Gee & "Interpreter" Deliver Yet Another Book of Abraham Embarrassment

Post by consiglieri »

Why does all this talk of fire and wind pulling a chariot remind me of the argument as to how it was okay for a salamander to represent Moroni because the salamander is associated with fire?
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

consiglieri wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:31 pm
Why does all this talk of fire and wind pulling a chariot remind me of the argument as to how it was okay for a salamander to represent Moroni because the salamander is associated with fire?
Maybe you should watch chariots of fire. You can hear the music can't you?https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... JYDzM_aV65
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Abraham 2:7 wrote:For I am the Lord thy God; I dwell in heaven; the earth is my footstool; I stretch my hand over the sea, and it obeys my voice; I cause the wind and the fire to be my chariot; I say to the mountains—Depart hence—and behold, they are taken away by a whirlwind, in an instant, suddenly.

This verse is all about SPEED and QUICKNESS, "in an instance, suddenly."

The chariot envisioned is not the clumsy or heavy laden chariot (wagon) of Abraham's era and before. This chariot is the kind you read about in the Bible possessed by the Egyptians and they were fast and fearsome and pulled by strong horses as fast as lightning. THAT is the kind of chariot Joseph Smith said Jehovah is riding. Don't kid yourself into thinking God is speaking. It's not God, it's Joseph Smith who pulled his knowledge about chariots from the Bible.

So NOW we have a terrible anachronism compliments of Professor John Gee and his idiocy.

Folks, we can get a lot of milage out of this. It's bigger than you may think. Gee has given us a gift!

:twisted:
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:04 am
Abraham 2:7 wrote:For I am the Lord thy God; I dwell in heaven; the earth is my footstool; I stretch my hand over the sea, and it obeys my voice; I cause the wind and the fire to be my chariot; I say to the mountains—Depart hence—and behold, they are taken away by a whirlwind, in an instant, suddenly.

The chariot envisioned is not the clumsy or heavy laden chariot (wagon) of Abraham's era and before. This chariot is the kind you read about in the Bible possessed by the Egyptians and they were fast and fearsome and pulled by strong horses as fast as lightning. THAT is the kind of chariot Joseph Smith said Jehovah is riding. Don't kid yourself into thinking God is speaking. It's not God, it's Joseph Smith who pulled his knowledge about chariots from the Bible.

So NOW we have a terrible anachronism compliments of Professor John Gee and his idiocy.

Folks, we can get a lot of milage out of this. It's bigger than you may think. Gee has given us a gift!

WIND and FIRE are natural elements to describe God who is FAST as lightning! The Flames of light in this chariot travel at great speed. This chariot is not the clumsy Babylonian wagon. No way. This is the Egyptian war chariot described in the Bible!

Thank you for this wonderful gift, Mr. Gee, you dumb-ass. You just screwed your Church and provided us a wonderful anachronism.

:lol:
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:27 pm
John Gee & "Interpreter" Deliver Yet Another Book of Abraham Embarrassment
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:04 am

People rode chariots when in a hurry. Speedy Egyptian-like chariots could get you where you need to go very quickly. Even Joseph Smith knew that.

1 Kings 12:18 wrote:Then king Rehoboam sent Adoram, who was over the tribute; and all Israel stoned him with stones, that he died. Therefore king Rehoboam made speed to get him up to his chariot, to flee to Jerusalem.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Presumably Brother Gee had the courage of his convictions and sent his article to non LDS Egyptologists and non LDS Egyptological publications?
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:51 pm
Presumably Brother Gee had the courage of his convictions and sent his article to non LDS Egyptologists and non LDS Egyptological publications?

Egyptologists might have cautioned Gee that Smith's understanding of chariots was surely based on what he knew about them from the Bible. The story of Elijah being taken up into heaven as the prime example and how the Egyptian war chariot was the Camaro or Mustang of their day. The reference to "chariot" in the Book of Abraham alludes to the idea that Jehovah is riding a fast and swift chariot and going to war against his foes and overturning them in an instant. The Egyptian war chariot best describes this scene rather than the slow moving carts or wagons pulled in old Babylon.

Thus we see the Egyptian war chariot is what Smith alluded to and he got it from the Bible.

Exodus 14:25 wrote:And took off their chariot wheels, that they drave them heavily: so that the Egyptians said, Let us flee from the face of Israel; for the LORD fighteth for them against the Egyptians.
1 Kings 20:25 wrote:And number thee an army, like the army that thou hast lost, horse for horse, and chariot for chariot: and we will fight against them in the plain, and surely we shall be stronger than they. And he hearkened unto their voice, and did so.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

I mean seriously, the Book of Abraham would seem more authentic had it not mentioned the "chariot" and especially had it not mentioned "Pharaoh" for a king which does not belong in Abraham's era. But now we see that professor Gee has highlighted another anachronism by introducing a kind of chariot that seems very much out of place. It seems the more he opens his mouth the more information he gives us to point fingers at the Book of Abraham. He should retire early or just let his lap dog Muhlestein take over.

Dr. Gee, what's the King's name? I will never, ever, stop asking.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:27 pm
Boy, the editors at "Mormon Interpreter"

Doctor Scratch, are you still there, are u tuned in?

Has the Interpreter ever done a piece on the King's name in Facsimile No. 3? Have they ever said Jack about it?

If so, can you point me to it, please?