ONLY begotten Son

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tim
Star A

ONLY begotten Son

Post by Tim »

How do LDS handle the description as Jesus as the Father's ONLY begotten son in light of the idea that we are all literally the progeny of God?
malkie
God

Re: ONLY begotten Son

Post by malkie »

Tim wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:10 pm
How do LDS handle the description as Jesus as the Father's ONLY begotten son in light of the idea that we are all literally the progeny of God?
Perhaps it's that LDS don't believe that God had sex with every mother on earth for every child of that mother.
https://mormonquotes.com/God_had_sex_with_Mary
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

"We believe in the Bible in asmuch as it is translated correctly."
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

malkie wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:39 pm
Tim wrote:
Perhaps it's that LDS don't believe that God had sex with every mother on earth for every child of that mother.
https://mormonquotes.com/God_had_sex_with_Mary
That’s the way I recall it. It’s the interpretation of “begotten.”
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Tim wrote:
Hi Tim,

How I had it explained to me as a weee lad, is that God is the Father of all of our spirits (including that of Jesus).

Jesus is the only one who also has God as the Father of his physical body. We're all rolling around with XX or XY, but Jesus got XYAΩ. I never personally heard it advanced that God physically had sex with Mary though (it was always described as it was done "by the Holy Ghost," or "through the Holy Spirit."

Of course, this does make the case of Adam a little weird...
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:08 pm
Tim wrote:
Hi Tim,

How I had it explained to me as a weee lad, is that God is the Father of all of our spirits (including that of Jesus).

Jesus is the only one who also has God as the Father of his physical body. We're all rolling around with XX or XY, but Jesus got XYAΩ. I never personally heard it advanced that God physically had sex with Mary though (it was always described as it was done "by the Holy Ghost," or "through the Holy Spirit."

Of course, this does make the case of Adam a little weird...
For reference to "God physically had sex with Mary", check the link in my reply to Tim's OP.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Basically, God has only ever had real sex once (and with a married woman!). When you think about it, that explains why He was so angry in the Old Testament, and a bit more relaxed in the New.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

IHAQ wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:04 am
Basically, God has only ever had real sex once (and with a married woman!). When you think about it, that explains why He was so angry in the Old Testament, and a bit more relaxed in the New.
Maybe Noah's flood was a wet ______...after years of pent up frustration.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

malkie wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:10 am
For reference to "God physically had sex with Mary", check the link in my reply to Tim's OP.
Thank you Malkie. I'm aware of all of the leaders who have advanced the idea. I was just noting that I personally never heard it while I was a member.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Yes, Malkie got the LDS view. Its basically the same as the traditional view adding sex.

God says to the ladies of this earth:

Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.

I snuck into relief society one time and caught them using this verse to say they basically all were f-ing God. They then proceeded to tell each other their jobs as women was to make their men feel like God, Jesus says so. It was all very uplifting.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos