ONLY begotten Son

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: ONLY begotten Son

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:25 am
I can’t answer for Kish, but rest assured, he is loved by the Lord, it will be exactly where the Lord has planned, and that from before the foundation of the world, and to His glory alone.

I’m not sure how one would expect an answer to this question when the person may or may not have a belief in heaven versus hell. Again, I can’t speak for the one of whom you’ve asked this question.

I tend to think of my fellow posters as living testimonies of the Lord working in their lives. We are all on a spiritual journey and each in his or her own place, and pace in that journey. In my participation on the board(s) over the past 20 years, God has revealed a lot to me about myself, Himself, and others. At times, many times, He has disciplined me severely, and changed my way of thinking. It is freeing LN, to trust the Lord to work in the hearts of people, as only He can do. He is always at work drawing men to Himself.

I’ve got to do a weather check.

Thank you. I appreciate your lovely and kind words.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

LN
Well, I definitely take the Bible from an exegesis point of view and allow the Bible to explain itself.
This is an eisegetical method LN... The Bible has never explained itself, otherwise there would have been no millenia of war of words and swords over its meaning.
LittleNipper
Nursery

Post by LittleNipper »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:40 am
LN
Well, I definitely take the Bible from an exegesis point of view and allow the Bible to explain itself.
This is an eisegetical method LN... The Bible has never explained itself, otherwise there would have been no millenia of war of words and swords over its meaning.
What I mean is that a verse in the Bible cannot be explained apart from the rest of the Bible. If a verse sounds contrary, it must be studied in comparison with the rest of the "story". The reason that people fight wars over "religion" is because either side wishes to be in control ------ GOD is usually left out of the picture. The Bible reveals itself. "In the beginning GOD created," is so very simple that a child may understand it. It's the ones who wish to explain GOD in their image rather than the other way around that cause the trouble.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

LittleNipper wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:41 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:40 am

What I mean is that a verse in the Bible cannot be explained apart from the rest of the Bible. If a verse sounds contrary, it must be studied in comparison with the rest of the "story". The reason that people fight wars over "religion" is because either side wishes to be in control ------ GOD is usually left out of the picture. The Bible reveals itself. "In the beginning GOD created," is so very simple that a child may understand it. It's the ones who wish to explain GOD in their image rather than the other way around that cause the trouble.
God has always only ever been explained in someone's image, it has never been otherwise, nor can it be. What I suspect you are missing is it is all eisegesis, including that of the original author of the biblical concepts...
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

LN
What I mean is that a verse in the Bible cannot be explained apart from the rest of the Bible.
Not in your own eisegetical method, no. That hardly stops others from doing so however...
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:52 pm
LN
What I mean is that a verse in the Bible cannot be explained apart from the rest of the Bible.
Not in your own eisegetical method, no. That hardly stops others from doing so however...
Ironically, LN uses the same proof-texting method to explain the Bible that most Mormons do.
LittleNipper
Nursery

Post by LittleNipper »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:18 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:52 pm

Ironically, LN uses the same proof-texting method to explain the Bible that most Mormons do.
But that would also mean that the LDS Book of Mormon should in no way be contrary to the Bible.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

msnobody wrote:
I can’t answer for Kish, but rest assured, he is loved by the Lord, it will be exactly where the Lord has planned, and that from before the foundation of the world, and to His glory alone.

I’m not sure how one would expect an answer to this question when the person may or may not have a belief in heaven versus hell. Again, I can’t speak for the one of whom you’ve asked this question.

I tend to think of my fellow posters as living testimonies of the Lord working in their lives. We are all on a spiritual journey and each in his or her own place, and pace in that journey. In my participation on the board(s) over the past 20 years, God has revealed a lot to me about myself, Himself, and others. At times, many times, He has disciplined me severely, and changed my way of thinking. It is freeing LN, to trust the Lord to work in the hearts of people, as only He can do. He is always at work drawing men to Himself.

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing this.

As I read this, it made me think of something my grandfather once said to me. I'm paraphrasing because I was a teen when he said it to me, and don't remember it exactly (and there's a good chance it changes slightly each time I recall it from memory).

We were out at "the ranch" (80 acres of sage brush, and a spring, that he had homesteaded upon getting back from the war). He was leaning on his shovel, looking across a small pasture being irrigated by one of the ponds, and I was doing what I always did when I was helping him -- trying to catch my breath. He didn't really speak much, but when he did it was usually either something deep, or something (sometimes unintentionally) hilarious.

He said, "I hope that heaven feels this way... infinitely vast, and peaceful. Where you can always find yourself in a spot where there is nothing else but you and love."

Then with a wry grin, he looked at me from the corner of his eye: "If it doesn't feel infinitely vast, hopefully most of the people who tell me they are going to heaven aren't actually going to make it there."

If there's a heaven, and I by chance find myself there, I hope it is populated by those who are like you.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

LittleNipper wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:31 pm
Fence Sitter wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:18 pm

But that would also mean that the LDS Book of Mormon should in no way be contrary to the Bible.
As if the Bible is not contrary to the Bible... :D We are all human LN, there is no perfect consistency anywhere, nor should we expect it.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:49 pm
msnobody wrote:

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing this.

As I read this, it made me think of something my grandfather once said to me. I'm paraphrasing because I was a teen when he said it to me, and don't remember it exactly (and there's a good chance it changes slightly each time I recall it from memory).

We were out at "the ranch" (80 acres of sage brush, and a spring, that he had homesteaded upon getting back from the war). He was leaning on his shovel, looking across a small pasture being irrigated by one of the ponds, and I was doing what I always did when I was helping him -- trying to catch my breath. He didn't really speak much, but when he did it was usually either something deep, or something (sometimes unintentionally) hilarious.

He said, "I hope that heaven feels this way... infinitely vast, and peaceful. Where you can always find yourself in a spot where there is nothing else but you and love."

Then with a wry grin, he looked at me from the corner of his eye: "If it doesn't feel infinitely vast, hopefully most of the people who tell me they are going to heaven aren't actually going to make it there."

If there's a heaven, and I by chance find myself there, I hope it is populated by those who are like you.
BOTH of you gave us beautiful posts, THANK YOU.