“Wither she did go” ??

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: “Wither she did go” ??

Post by Kishkumen »

Although it probably requires no repetition, I don’t find this all that significant.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:23 pm
Although it probably requires no repetition, I don’t find this all that significant.

Well, there are a lot of things you don't find significant. On the other hand, there are things you find significant in which I find to be insignificant. So, I guess we're even.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:46 pm
Well, there are a lot of things you don't find significant. On the other hand, there are things you find significant in which I find to be insignificant. So, I guess we're even.
Probably not, but oh well!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

The Book of Mormon tells us that it's Alma and Mormon doing the talking, not Joseph Smith who was supposed to be translating what THEY said, not reinterpreting what they said.
Every translation is an interpretation.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:30 pm
The Book of Mormon tells us that it's Alma and Mormon doing the talking, not Joseph Smith who was supposed to be translating what THEY said, not reinterpreting what they said.
Every translation is an interpretation.

Yes, every translator will give their own translation. Joseph Smith favored the KJV and wrote it into his own Book of Mormon script. I think we can all agree that the KJV is not the best biblical translation. Let' s look at a couple of examples that I'm pretty sure Joseph Smith would have thoroughly endorsed because they read the same, unchanged, in his New Translation of the Bible.

Acts 21:3 KJV & New Translation wrote:Now when we had discovered Cyprus, we left it on the left hand, and sailed into Syria, and landed at Tyre: for there the ship was to unlade her burden.
Acts 27:15 KJV & New Translation wrote:And when the ship was caught, and could not bear up into the wind, we let her drive.

Thus we see that the KJV and Joseph Smith's New Translation preferred a modern sailor talk translation for female ship gender. But is that right? Is that accurate? What did the author (Luke) originally pen? Something on the lines of this, perhaps:
  • ἀποφορτιζόμενον τὸν γόμον
    unloading the cargo
  • ἐφερόμεθα
    we were driven along
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Meh, I love the KJV, which is a gorgeous religious artifact in its own right. The Book of Mormon is also a remarkable work, and the sailor talk just makes it better. I guess that is where the two of us differ. You see these things as evidence that something is amiss. I see delightful quirkiness in it all. The more I learn about the Book of Μοrmon, the more fascinating it becomes. As was the case last time we disagreed on something like this, I can only reiterate my gratitude that you bring these things to my attention, as they generally make me more interested and enthused about the Book of Mormon. You are right, there is a lot to examine there. You are also right that it does not conform with people’s expectations. Οf course, those expectations are often just as problematic as the supposed problems themselves.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:33 am
Meh, I love the KJV, which is a gorgeous religious artifact in its own right.

You can say that because you born after 1611. Prior to that, no can do.

Kishkumen wrote:
The Book of Mormon is also a remarkable work, and the sailor talk just makes it better. I guess that is where the two of us differ.

It is a remarkable work, I agree. It's very comprehensive in many ways. But with that said, its workmanship bears a lot of plagiarism.

Kishkumen wrote:
You see these things as evidence that something is amiss. I see delightful quirkiness in it all.

I love to find fault where fault should be found.

Enos
More on the 179 years

Kishkumen wrote:
The more I learn about the Book of Μοrmon, the more fascinating it becomes. As was the case last time we disagreed on something like this, I can only reiterate my gratitude that you bring these things to my attention, as they generally make me more interested and enthused about the Book of Mormon. You are right, there is a lot to examine there. You are also right that it does not conform with people’s expectations. Οf course, those expectations are often just as problematic as the supposed problems themselves.

For me, I want to read what was originally penned. I want to read exactly what the originally author wrote. If it's a girl, then let it be female. If it's a boy, then let it be male. If it is neither, then let it be an it. But I want the RIGHT word!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:03 am
So? What’s your point? Does it need to be older for some reason? That’s very arbitrary.
It is a remarkable work, I agree. It's very comprehensive in many ways. But with that said, its workmanship bears a lot of plagiarism.
So? Lots of literature borrows heavily from other literature.
I love to find fault where fault should be found.
There is fault to be found everywhere, including your fault-finding.

For me, I want to read what was originally penned. I want to read exactly what the originally author wrote. If it's a girl, then let it be female. If it's a boy, then let it be male. If it is neither, then let it be an it. But I want the RIGHT word!
Meh. The writing process never ends. The text is never static. You will never have the text as it was. It’s an impossible goal.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:10 am
Shulem wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:03 am
So? What’s your point? Does it need to be older for some reason? That’s very arbitrary.

The older the better. The older the more accurate. If it's the original writing then the buck stops there. No need to blame anything on anyone downstream.

Kishkumen wrote:
Shulem wrote:It is a remarkable work, I agree. It's very comprehensive in many ways. But with that said, its workmanship bears a lot of plagiarism.
So? Lots of literature borrows heavily from other literature.

True that. It could be called "stealing" depending on the circumstances and the manner in which it borrows.

Kishkumen wrote:
Shulem wrote:I love to find fault where fault should be found.
There is fault to be found everywhere, including your fault-finding.

And there will be more fault finding. I consider myself a fault finding expert. How do you compare with me? :P

Kishkumen wrote:
Shulem wrote:For me, I want to read what was originally penned. I want to read exactly what the originally author wrote. If it's a girl, then let it be female. If it's a boy, then let it be male. If it is neither, then let it be an it. But I want the RIGHT word!
Meh. The writing process never ends. The text is never static. You will never have the text as it was. It’s an impossible goal.

Oh, the song says "you can't always get what you want" but if I try hard enough I just might. You'd be surprised what people can do. I don't believe it's impossible. I believe in miracles. If I want to be on the moon, I can. I want to visit a distant star, I can. Nothing is impossible when you set your mind to it!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

toon wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:36 pm
Was Moby Dick male or female?
I think the name gives it away, although the book should have handled it on a don't ask - don't tell basis.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace