Bob Crockett Has Passed Away

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
consiglieri
Prophet

Re: Bob Crockett Has Passed Away

Post by consiglieri »

……..that’s why we invited you……….
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:13 am
A similar announcement on our sister board has mustered only 14 comments.
That is most puzzling. I guess their interest moved on. I'm hoping Cinepro can add some more thoughts.
For whatever it’s worth.
What it means to me is what drew me to this board years ago.
A sincere and genuine care and concern for others.
Regardless of their beliefs or behavior.
Well said.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

consiglieri wrote:

For whatever it’s worth.

Well said, friend. We have a core community here that really does care about everyone. There is even caring to be found here for the Mopologists with whom we spar and whom we criticize. Bob was, for much of his time here, a very cutting critic of what we were doing on the board, and, frankly, at times he behaved like a real jerk, but we always welcomed him whenever he came, and we were always as aware of his virtues as we were of his weaknesses. In the end, we felt Bob was part of the family, and to lose him is a blow.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I agree. He was part of the family. He'll be missed.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Too bad the posters at MD&D aren't allowed to express any grief. Bob Crockett was a bigger part of their family and posted a lot over there. But showing grief publicly is akin to a lack of faith for the TBM.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Mrs. Atlanticmike

Post by Mrs. Atlanticmike »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:45 pm
consiglieri wrote:

For whatever it’s worth.

Well said, friend. We have a core community here that really does care about everyone. There is even caring to be found here for the Mopologists with whom we spar and whom we criticize. Bob was, for much of his time here, a very cutting critic of what we were doing on the board, and, frankly, at times he behaved like a real jerk, but we always welcomed him whenever he came, and we were always as aware of his virtues as we were of his weaknesses. In the end, we felt Bob was part of the family, and to lose him is a blow.
In light of the few comments at MDDB they don't care about Bob in the least, but Kishkumen calling him a "real jerk" after his death is complimentary since he was "welcomed" at DiscussMormonism?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Mrs. Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:01 pm
Kishkumen wrote:

In light of the few comments at MDDB they don't care about Bob in the least, but Kishkumen calling him a "real jerk" after his death is complimentary since he was "welcomed" at DiscussMormonism?
No. Please note the difference between “X is a real jerk” and “at times, X behaved like a real jerk.” For example, if I were to say “trolling in a memorial thread is behaving like a real jerk,” I would be clearly labeling behavior, not the person.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:28 pm
Mrs. Atlanticmike wrote:

No. Please note the difference between “X is a real jerk” and “at times, X behaved like a real jerk.” For example, if I were to say “trolling in a memorial thread is behaving like a real jerk,” I would be clearly labeling behavior, not the person.

Yeah, you nailed that, Ipsa-baby. The thing about Mikey is he likes to pull chains and push buttons.

Hey Mikey, did you ever pull the legs out spiders when you were a kid? Just wondering.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Mrs. Atlanticmike wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:

Just about everyone here (past discussion boards included) has acted like a jerk at some point. Religion is a hot button topic. When one has their faith shaken or being challenged, or tested, being a jerk is just one of many reactions. I’m not saying Bob fit into these categories necessarily.
Got to cut my post short as work calls.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
¥akaSteelhead
Deacon

Post by ¥akaSteelhead »

Pour a sip for Bob.