Mormon Homophobia

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Mormon Homophobia

Post by drumdude »

I was saddened today to see a prominent former BYU professor and lead church apologist express a subtle homophobic attack on a commenter to their blog that they disagree with.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (22.37 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Do you think the church is homophobic because its members are, or are its members homophobic because the church is? Or perhaps it is a mutually reinforcing symbiotic ecosystem of homophobia. Will casual homophobic slurs like this die out with the LDS boomer population, or will the church instill these hateful feelings in the next generation of Mormons?
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Mormon Homophobia

Post by Res Ipsa »

To the extent the comment is a slur, I'm not sure it has anything to do with the sex of Gemil or Lance. I mean, it's childish and petty. But to the extent it works as a "slur," it "works" regardless of whether the two are same or opposite sex.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I see it as the obvious love of Mormonism for God's children... :roll:
Anytime they can get a slur in, they do so. So typical.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:42 pm
Do you think the church is homophobic because its members are, or are its members homophobic because the church is?
I think the members are kind and gentle on their own, and collectively they act as a check and balance for some members' baser instincts.

The Church leadership has pushed them into vile homophobia and unfortunately is now forcing matters with their musket fire rhetoric. It will be incumbent on younger members of good conscience to leave the Church in ever greater numbers to avoid being drawn into this morass.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace