To Celebrate 500 Weeks in a Row, "Interpreter" Reviews the 1st (and Last) 10 Pages of a Book About God's Genitals

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

To Celebrate 500 Weeks in a Row, "Interpreter" Reviews the 1st (and Last) 10 Pages of a Book About God's Genitals

Post by Doctor Scratch »

It's Friday! And boy, oh, boy: "Mormon Interpreter" continues to limp along. If Gee's most recent Book of Abraham article was any indication of 'Interpreter's" general direction, this latest embarrassment from DCP is icing on the cake. The article is called "An Unexpected Case for an Anthropomorphic God" and it surely ranks among the silliest things that Dr. Peterson has ever published. In essence, the piece is a review of a nearly 600-page book by Francesca Stavrakopoulou entitled God: An Anatomy. I don't get the impression that Dr. Peterson bothered to read the entire book (more on this later), but this paragraph neatly summarizes what he's up to:
“I’ve never believed in God,” Dr. Stavrakopoulou says flatly, on her book’s very first page.2 Understandably in that light, the book is neither reverent nor awestruck in its approach to her vastly important subject. For her, what she’s discussing is merely a matter of ancient history, not a clue to the ultimate nature of reality or of any relevance to the heavens, human salvation, or an afterlife. After all, she believes in none of those things. And yet, her very lack of belief also frees her from any obligation to grind theological axes and permits her to go with her data. And that liberty, I think, has allowed her to create a book that offers rich material for believers in the Restoration and that can, in some important ways, support the teachings of Joseph Smith and his successors.
In other words: because she's a non-believer, and because her book has some things in it that square with LDS beliefs (esp. the idea that God has a physical body), it actually supports Mormonism! Because, you see: if even a *non-believer* supports LDS ideas, then those ideas *must* be true, right? That, at any rate, seems to be the totality of DCP's logic here.

But part of the fun of reading his article is looking at where all the citations come from. He writes:
Not surprisingly, so far as I can see, God: An Anatomy seems to have received far more enthusiastic reviews from secularists than from religious believers.
Okay, so he looked at the blurbs on the book jacket?
In the very first pages of God: An Anatomy, she supplies a bit of autobiographical information
Ah, so he read "the very first pages"! Later, he cites a quotation from page 4, and even lists off all the chapters from the Table of Contents:
She organizes her treatment anatomically, from the ground up. It is comprised of five sections (Part I, “Feet and Legs”; Part II, “Genitals”; Part III, “Torso”; Part IV, “Arms and Hands”; Part V, “Head”) and an epilogue. In turn, each part is made up of between three and five chapters. Thus, for example, Part V treats the divine ears, nose, and mouth in a quintet of separate pieces.
He also quotes several reviewers (likely whatever turns up first in a Google search). Gee, if this were a drinking game, and you had to take a shot every time you found evidence suggesting that DCP didn't read the whole book, you would be blacking out by now. In all fairness, though, he does also cite from page 415, though later we find out why that might be:
near the conclusion of God: An Anatomy, she herself describes the divine image that she has created: “This was a god more like the best of us and the worst of us. A god made in our own image” (423).
Ah, okay: so he flipped through the first ten pages, and the *last* ten pages! Hey, that's all you need to review a book for "Mormon Interpreter"! LOL!

At the end of the day, this is really quite an idiotic article: Stavrakopoulou seems to be mocking and making fun of an embodied God, and even DCP seems to realize this, as he quotes from a review from The Economist: "Ms. Stavrakopoulou has almost too much fun." But he presses on, insisting that this somehow functions as support for LDS theological claims.

"Interpreter" really seems to be running out of steam, and yet Peterson is crowing about how this is apparently the 500th week in a row that they've published something. Quite a pity that this is the article they used to mark the occasion.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Philo Sofee
God

Re: To Celebrate 500 Weeks in a Row, "Interpreter" Reviews the 1st (and Last) 10 Pages of a Book About God's Genitals

Post by Philo Sofee »

Well, perhaps being retired finally, Dr. Peterson is just "dinking" around now...
Moksha
God

Re: To Celebrate 500 Weeks in a Row, "Interpreter" Reviews the 1st (and Last) 10 Pages of a Book About God's Genitals

Post by Moksha »

“The God revealed in this book is the deity as his ancient worshippers saw him: a supersized, muscle-bound, good-looking god, with superhuman powers, earthly passions, and a penchant for the fantastic and the monstrous”
Does Dr. Peterson note that this description is akin to how both orthodox and apologetic Saints view Joseph Smith (except they would be hesitant to mention the earthly passions)? This similarity can be viewed in the recent movie Witnesses.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I'm going to make a bold prediction that the Mormon doctrine of a physical bodied God is not going to last another 200 years.

The push to turn the LDS inc into a generic bland evangelical megachurch is just too strong.
Tator
CTR B

Post by Tator »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:33 am
The push to turn the LDS inc into a generic bland evangelical megachurch is just too strong.
The LDS church is just the mega generic bland Community of Christ church now.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:36 pm
He also quotes several reviewers (likely whatever turns up first in a Google search).
Daniel’s intellectual habits are unequivocally in a decrepit state. Your timely observation here immediately brought to mind this comment Daniel made in a March 19th blogpost:
Daniel C. Peterson wrote:Incidentally, the notes I’ve been posting here are being cited by certain of my critics as proof of my lack of originality. And I must confess that I’m so very unoriginal that it had never so much as occurred to me that notes drawn from one’s reading ought to be original. They’re notes, after all.
He truly doesn’t understand the purpose of taking notes when it comes to research. Simply preserving another copy of what someone wrote constitutes research in the same way requesting a book through the interlibrary-loan system, a rote activity that requires only the barest amount of effort.

Notes are where creativity is born and where one’s analysis begins in earnest, it is your first contact with a text and recording your initial impressions and questions is a crucial first step in actually coming up with a thesis to write about or a programme to execute.

This review serves as a perfect example of the meretricious effects of skipping that stage of research/writing.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

How embarrassing.
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:03 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:36 pm
He also quotes several reviewers (likely whatever turns up first in a Google search).
Daniel’s intellectual habits are unequivocally in a decrepit state. Your timely observation here immediately brought to mind this comment Daniel made in a March 19th blogpost:
Daniel C. Peterson wrote:Incidentally, the notes I’ve been posting here are being cited by certain of my critics as proof of my lack of originality. And I must confess that I’m so very unoriginal that it had never so much as occurred to me that notes drawn from one’s reading ought to be original. They’re notes, after all.
He truly doesn’t understand the purpose of taking notes when it comes to research. Simply preserving another copy of what someone wrote constitutes research in the same way requesting a book through the interlibrary-loan system, a rote activity that requires only the barest amount of effort.

Notes are where creativity is born and where one’s analysis begins in earnest, it is your first contact with a text and recording your initial impressions and questions is a crucial first step in actually coming up with a thesis to write about or a programme to execute.

This review serves as a perfect example of the meretricious effects of skipping that stage of research/writing.
No, he clearly doesn’t understand, but I think Peterson is thrilled to talk about his use of documented notes for a different reason, so he can attempt to drown out his plagiarism of “notes” from multiple authors. His excuse then was something like ‘who documents every note they take? How can I possibly be responsible for quoting authors properly?’
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr. Scratch
In other words: because she's a non-believer, and because her book has some things in it that square with LDS beliefs (esp. the idea that God has a physical body), it actually supports Mormonism! Because, you see: if even a *non-believer* supports LDS ideas, then those ideas *must* be true, right? That, at any rate, seems to be the totality of DCP's logic here.
Definitely the underlying logic of all Mormon apologetics. I remember scouring hundreds and hundreds of books, articles, monographs on any unique Mormon issue, and if anyone else had something positive to say - "Oh! A hit for Joseph Smith!" Now I see it for the fundamental weirdness that it is...
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Is this anything that we didn't know before?

Did DCP expect that primitive humans would develop abstract logical thinking while spending most of their time running from wild animals?

The shame isn't that primitive humans believed in an anthropomorphic God, but that 21st century retired professors do.