LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Re: LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Post by IHAQ »

Unknown to members of a southern Minnesota congregation until three years ago, one of its leaders was a lifetime registered sex offender from Utah, the headquarters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS).

(FOX 9) - A former Mormon congregation leader who went from convicted sex offender to being a church leader in Minnesota was convicted Friday of assaulting a 13-year-old boy in 2019.

Unknown to members of the Mormon congregation until three years ago, one of its leaders, Michael Adam Davis, 34, was a lifetime registered sex offender from Utah, the headquarters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS). FOX 9 previously detailed what led to the revelation.

A Dodge County Sheriff’s deputy traffic stop on Feb. 17, 2019 started the investigation into Davis after he was pulled over when a child was seen moving around the front seat while not wearing a seat belt.

When the deputy ran Davis drivers’ license and discovered he was a lifetime registered sex offender in Utah.

The boy would later admit Davis repeatedly sexually assaulted him and tried to rape him.

The congregation only learned of Davis’ background when he was charged in March 2019 with sexually assaulting the 13-year-old boy whose family were members of the church.

After a trial began Monday, the jury took less than four hours to reach a decision.
https://www.fox9.com/news/former-minnes ... al-assault

The Church still refuses to instigate background checks.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

IHAQ wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 5:26 am
I can think of two possible reasons for this:

1. The general CoJCoLDS principle that because the church is guided by living prophets, it is extremely dangerous to change any of its long-term practices as a result of criticism, since that might open the flood-gates for more of the same kind ...

That's the obvious reason. But reading this thread, I have just thought of:

2. The Brethren know that at the higher levels of the leadership (General Authorities upwards?) there are a significant number of men who have things in their past that would prevent them passing any normal kind of background check. And those people must be shielded at all costs.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Chap wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:30 am
IHAQ wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 5:26 am

1. The general CoJCoLDS principle that because the church is guided by living prophets, it is extremely dangerous to change any of its long-term practices as a result of criticism, since that might open the flood-gates for more of the same kind ...

2. The Brethren know that at the higher levels of the leadership (General Authorities upwards?) there are a significant number of men who have things in their past that would prevent them passing any normal kind of background check. And those people must be shielded at all costs.
I hadn't considered number 2 - that General Authorities themselves wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny of a background check. It's definitely worthy of consideration. It would explain the inexplicable lack of action on background checks.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

It emerged that the church leader was a registered sex offender.

A former leader of the Church of Latter-Day Saints has been convicted of multiple charges for sexually assaulting a 13-year-old congregation member.

Michael Adam Davis, 37, was found guilty of two counts of 1st-degree and two counts of 2nd-degree criminal sexual conduct, and one count of indecent exposure in front of a minor by a jury last week.

He was the Elders Quorum president at the Mormon church in Kasson, Minnesota, where the boy's parents were members.

A jury trial heard the victim, now 16, describe how on three occasions Davis sexually assaulted him at Davis' home over the Christmas period in 2018.

The suspicions of authorities were raised when police pulled Davis over in February 2019 with the boy in the car, and a background check revealed he was a lifetime registered sex offender in Utah, the home of the Church of Latter-Day Saints.

Giving evidence in court, the victim said Davis had bought him gifts including a phone and a pair of cowboy boots, with prosecutors arguing that Davis had groomed the boy under the auspices of being his mentor.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/fo ... ar-AAXkfts

This is an example of a number of things that we've been talking about:
1. The importance of the church running background checks for all callings.
2. The importance of the church being transparent about these things and, instead of covering them up, ensuring all members are fully informed when something like this happens, and of the risks posed when unrelated adults are allowed unfettered access to their kids.
3. How Mormon parents have been desensitised to the risks of predators amongst them by things like Bishops 1-2-1 worthiness interviews of minors.
4. Why the church needs to change it's policies and practices when it comes to access to minors.

How many more members kids need to be victims before the Church takes ALL the necessary actions?
Michael Benjamin, a witness for the prosecution in the case, gave this statement to ABC 6 News, "I am so happy that justice was served. I hope that this victim and all of Mr. Davis' previous victims can find peace in knowing that he will finally be held accountable for his actions. I also hope that the LDS Church can change their policies and practices to prevent cases like this from happening again."
https://www.kaaltv.com/rochester-minnes ... l/6470142/

I wouldn’t hold my breath Michael…
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:44 am
Chap wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:30 am

I hadn't considered number 2 - that General Authorities themselves wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny of a background check. It's definitely worthy of consideration. It would explain the inexplicable lack of action on background checks.
Perhaps - but the faithful church members would, I believe, be quite happy if the brethren announced that either background checks would be required going forward only, or that they themselves - the Lord's anointed - would be exempt, because they are Prophets, Seers, and Revelators, and so must be assumed to be beyond reproach.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:57 am
3. How Mormon parents have been desensitised to the risks of predators amongst them by things like Bishops 1-2-1 worthiness interviews of minors.
4. Why the church needs to change it's policies and practices when it comes to access to minors.
Ooh, so close.

The parents were not "desensitized." They knew about the extracurricular meet ups and strongly objected.
Even after the family ordered Davis to stay away from their son, the mother discovered the two of them in Davis’ car in the church parking lot, according to the harassment order.

https://www.fox9.com/news/from-register ... rch-leader
Other than them both being in the same ward, there is nothing the Church did to give him "access" to the boy. They weren't, for example, home teaching companions or doing some church-related function that required them to be alone together.

And the biggest question in all this is why the guy wasn't excommunicated back in Utah. That's the most glaring oversight in all this.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

cinepro wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:28 am
IHAQ wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:57 am
Ooh, so close.

The parents were not "desensitized." They knew about the extracurricular meet ups and strongly objected.
Even after the family ordered Davis to stay away from their son, the mother discovered the two of them in Davis’ car in the church parking lot, according to the harassment order.

Other than them both being in the same ward, there is nothing the Church did to give him "access" to the boy. They weren't, for example, home teaching companions or doing some church-related function that required them to be alone together.

And the biggest question in all this is why the guy wasn't excommunicated back in Utah. That's the most glaring oversight in all this.
This looks to me like some valid general criticisms hung on a poor example. I agree with you that failure to excommunicate was the biggest problem in this specific case. But that doesn't make the criticisms invalid. I'm guessing we agree that divine inspiration isn't a perfect tool for weeding out child molesters from becoming bishops or other leaders that have significant contact with the youth. One question I don't know the answer to is, if a background check had been performed on this guy, would it turn up the fact that he'd been a registered sex offender in Utah? In this particular case, the church got lucky that it hadn't called this individual to be in a position with easy access to young folks. I just don't see the argument against doing background checks on folks before they are called to positions that give them increased access to the youth. Do it before the calling is announced. If there's a problem, whew, the Bishop or whoever escaped the consequences of misinterpreting the spirit. I have a tough time grasping that part.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:03 am
cinepro wrote:

Ooh, so close.

This looks to me like some valid general criticisms hung on a poor example. I agree with you that failure to excommunicate was the biggest problem in this specific case. But that doesn't make the criticisms invalid. I'm guessing we agree that divine inspiration isn't a perfect tool for weeding out child molesters from becoming bishops or other leaders that have significant contact with the youth. One question I don't know the answer to is, if a background check had been performed on this guy, would it turn up the fact that he'd been a registered sex offender in Utah? In this particular case, the church got lucky that it hadn't called this individual to be in a position with easy access to young folks. I just don't see the argument against doing background checks on folks before they are called to positions that give them increased access to the youth. Do it before the calling is announced. If there's a problem, whew, the Bishop or whoever escaped the consequences of misinterpreting the spirit. I have a tough time grasping that part.
Perhaps requiring a secular background check would be an admission that the spiritual background check (priesthood discernment) simply doesn't work. Why waste police resources, database searches, fingerprinting, when the bishop can just pray for divine guidance - supposedly a superior method anyway.

OTOH, perhaps this is one of these things that God has to allow, so that the wicked get to prove their depravity.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

malkie wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:24 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:03 am

Perhaps requiring a secular background check would be an admission that the spiritual background check (priesthood discernment) simply doesn't work. Why waste police resources, database searches, fingerprinting, when the bishop can just pray for divine guidance - supposedly a superior method anyway.

OTOH, perhaps this is one of these things that God has to allow, so that the wicked get to prove their depravity.
I've seen folks make that last argument. It really highlights the problem of evil.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

cinepro wrote:
The boys ward members disagree with you.
In sworn affidavits, church leaders say Davis was a church leader, but was not in a position of authority over children.

The affidavits were signed by Kasson President Larson, and Rochester Stake President Randall Thomas, who is a medical director at Mayo Clinic.

Former members of the congregation tell the FOX 9 Investigators that’s not true.

A father provided emails from Davis, in which he was instructing young men on lessons from the Book of Mormon.

The father told the FOX 9 Investigators Davis was also grooming his son to be a victim.

Benjamin, the Rochester LDS member and former leader, said there was no doubt in his mind that the Elders Quorum President is a position of authority in the church.

The jurors disagree with you.
Olmsted County Assistant Attorney Geoffrey Hjerleid, representing the state, argued that the alleged victim was clearly abused by Davis, and that Davis further used his position in the Church of Latter-Day Saints to secure access to the boy, after which he used gifts and games to manipulate the witness into silence for a period of time during and after the assaults.
https://www.kaaltv.com/rochester-minnes ... l/6470142/
Former LDS leader Michael Adam Davis has been found guilty on all charges in the LDS church sex abuse trial

The jury deliberated less than four hours Friday before reaching its verdict.
Last edited by IHAQ on Fri May 20, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.