LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Re: LDS Scout Leader charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Post by IHAQ »

cinepro wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:28 am
IHAQ wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:57 am
3. How Mormon parents have been desensitised to the risks of predators amongst them by things like Bishops 1-2-1 worthiness interviews of minors.
4. Why the church needs to change it's policies and practices when it comes to access to minors.
Ooh, so close.

The parents were not "desensitized." They knew about the extracurricular meet ups and strongly objected.
That’s not what the article says.
According to a harassment order taken out before the latest charges, Kasson Church President Brent Larson was concerned about Davis’ relationship with the victim and thought it was "inappropriate."

Davis had given the boy a cell phone, cowboy boots, and a key to his home.
https://www.fox9.com/news/from-register ... rch-leader

It notes that it was the Bishop who became concerned about the relationship between his Elders Quorum President and a young member of his ward.
Last edited by IHAQ on Fri May 20, 2022 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

malkie wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:17 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:44 am
I hadn't considered number 2 - that General Authorities themselves wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny of a background check. It's definitely worthy of consideration. It would explain the inexplicable lack of action on background checks.
Perhaps - but the faithful church members would, I believe, be quite happy if the brethren announced that either background checks would be required going forward only, or that they themselves - the Lord's anointed - would be exempt, because they are Prophets, Seers, and Revelators, and so must be assumed to be beyond reproach.
I think you’re right malkie in terms of a large number of the adult tithe-paying active membership. But the younger generations, the ones most at risk, are still capable of critical thinking. And that’s why the church doesn’t want transparency - because it knows it’s not faith promoting for younger people. If the safety of minors and vulnerable adults were the top priority the church claims it is, all these things we are talking about that would help to reduce risk would already be in place. That it isn’t shows church leaders think protecting the name of the church and avoiding transparency are more important to them than preventing the abuse of vulnerable children and adults. Their actions don’t support the words they come out with, their actions tell a different story.
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:09 am
It notes that it was the Bishop who became concerned about the relationship between his Elders Quorum President and a young member of his ward.
If you're saying the parents weren't aware and concerned, how are you understanding this part of the report?
Even after the family ordered Davis to stay away from their son, the mother discovered the two of them in Davis’ car in the church parking lot, according to the harassment order.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

cinepro wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:48 am
IHAQ wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:09 am
If you're saying the parents weren't aware and concerned
I’m not saying that. I was pointing out that you were making statements about the parents that weren’t substantiated by the report.
…how are you understanding this part of the report?
Even after the family ordered Davis to stay away from their son, the mother discovered the two of them in Davis’ car in the church parking lot, according to the harassment order.
I’m understanding it that the parents ordered David to stay away from their son AFTER the Bishop had become concerned about the relationship between him and their son. This fact suggests that the parents were less aware or less concerned than the Bishop up to that point in time. Certainly they weren’t concerned enough to take action on their own initiative.
A father provided emails from Davis, in which he was instructing young men on lessons from the Book of Mormon.
The father told the FOX 9 Investigators Davis was also grooming his son to be a victim.
https://www.fox9.com/news/from-register ... rch-leader

Clearly the parents of the ward were allowing David access to their children, despite the fact someone in his calling should not have been interacting with their children. Yet they didn’t stop him. I’d call that being desensitised. What would you call it?