DCP: DiscussMormonism.com is “soul-destroying”

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

DCP: DiscussMormonism.com is “soul-destroying”

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Some provocative new remarks from Dr. Peterson over at SeN:
It is, I realize, a weird character flaw — or, probably more accurately said, a regrettable personality defect — but I’m quite interested in what critics of the Church have to say. For example, I look in every few days on two extremely unpleasant (and mostly atheist) online anti-Mormon message boards, so as to see what’s agitating or delighting people there.

I’m often astonished, to be frank, at the profound cynicism, the deep and hostile negativity, of some people on those sites. I don’t discount the fact that there are reasons for doubt and occasions for taking offense or feeling injured. But the attitude of some seems to me to go beyond that. Candidly, it often seems to me a spiritual illness. And a debilitating one.

I sincerely hope that these folks are happier and more pleasant in real life, away from those sites. If they were ever interested in my counsel, though, it would be to avoid such places like the plague. Not merely because they’re faith-destroying, but because the sneering, angry cynicism and the incessant fault-finding and defamation that flourishes on such sites seems to me soul-destroying.
Quite a strong condemnation, no? I wonder what it was that set him off?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Re: DCP: DiscussMormonism.com is “soul-destroying”

Post by drumdude »

He slipped up and admitted he still reads this forum. Usually he tries to convince us that "someone informed me that X happened at an unnamed forum" as if he's not here obsessively refreshing the page searching for mentions.

I also have to laugh at him using atheist as a derogatory adjective like it's still 1984. It's 2022, the civilized WORLD is mostly atheist now too.
SaturdaysVoyeur
CTR A

Post by SaturdaysVoyeur »

I totally agree with him! This place is the pits!! It's so mean! People were even calling gay kids "Korihor" right to their face---!

Oh. Wait. Never mind. That was BYU Professor Hank Smith.

Yeah....it sure is negative around here....
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:20 pm
It is, I realize, a weird character flaw — or, probably more accurately said, a regrettable personality defect — but I’m quite interested in what critics of the Church have to say. For example, I look in every few days on two extremely unpleasant (and mostly atheist) online anti-Mormon message boards, so as to see what’s agitating or delighting people there.

I’m often astonished, to be frank, at the profound cynicism, the deep and hostile negativity, of some people on those sites. I don’t discount the fact that there are reasons for doubt and occasions for taking offense or feeling injured. But the attitude of some seems to me to go beyond that. Candidly, it often seems to me a spiritual illness. And a debilitating one.

I sincerely hope that these folks are happier and more pleasant in real life, away from those sites. If they were ever interested in my counsel, though, it would be to avoid such places like the plague. Not merely because they’re faith-destroying, but because the sneering, angry cynicism and the incessant fault-finding and defamation that flourishes on such sites seems to me soul-destroying.
I think Gemli's ideologies are growing in a fractal pattern. He may feel some guilt that his mere interactions have provided a salvo of threads that are beyond his banning capability. PS. "Hi Dan, I would love to see you demonstrate dowsing with coat hangers". Or even better willow sticks.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Rivendale wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:49 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:

I think Gemli's ideologies are growing in a fractal pattern. He may feel some guilt that his mere interactions have provided a salvo of threads that are beyond his banning capability. PS. "Hi Dan, I would love to see you demonstrate dowsing with coat hangers". Or even better willow sticks.
I've got some land in Texas that I would absolutely donate for free to test Dan's dowsing abilities.

I'll have a 3rd party install the water lines and control the water flow in them. It'll all be videoed and uploaded without editing to youtube.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

If I were to apply my many years of studying Mopologetics to this latest outburst from Dr. Peterson, I would say that he’s quaking with rage over the thread about his recent “Interpreter” piece, in which it’s pretty clear that he didn’t actually read the entire book. Quite a bummer that this was the marquee offering for Mormon Interpreter’s 500th issue.

And re: the “incessant fault-finding”—has he *ever* had a single unqualified nice word to say about gemli, or Dr. Shades, or any other critic? I mean, this was the same guy who was spreading malicious gossip about Dan Vogel not all that long ago. Has he already forgotten about that?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:54 pm
Rivendale wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:49 pm

I've got some land in Texas that I would absolutely donate for free to test Dan's dowsing abilities.

I'll have a 3rd party install the water lines and control the water flow in them. It'll all be videoed and uploaded without editing to youtube.
In his interview about it he mentioned that he doesn't know how it works but it did. That right there is echo's of Holland's excuse for the creation of the Book of Abraham. There is this weird chasm in the belief system that glorifies this mystical "I don't know" but it sure validates angels, demons and the supernatural. I have seen some of the excuses from the James Randi foundation or the Australian skeptic society and they are bizarre.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:

That the majority of us just don't give a damn about what he says anymore and it's getting lonely for him and quite boring continually bearing his testimony to already believing TBM's. He needs his fix, and hasn't had it for like ever, so he's coming up with ways to drum up business...
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:56 pm
If I were to apply my many years of studying Mopologetics to this latest outburst from Dr. Peterson, I would say that he’s quaking with rage over the thread about his recent “Interpreter” piece, in which it’s pretty clear that he didn’t actually read the entire book. Quite a bummer that this was the marquee offering for Mormon Interpreter’s 500th issue.

And re: the “incessant fault-finding”—has he *ever* had a single unqualified nice word to say about gemli, or Dr. Shades, or any other critic? I mean, this was the same guy who was spreading malicious gossip about Dan Vogel not all that long ago. Has he already forgotten about that?
Don't forget Midgely and his disdain for Dehlin. And Dan's disdain for Quinn. But I will give him credit he did hold his own with Shermer.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:56 pm

And his heinous gossipy accusations and tongue wagging about Ritner being gay, a base accusation given since neither Peterson nor Gee has the capability of actually refuting what Ritner destroyed of LDS Book of Abraham apologetics, so they resort to childish gossiping. It took Ritner threatening Peterson of legal action for Peterson to man up and finally shut up and quit his boorish Mormon Melchizedek Priesthood totin antics. But Jesus surely smiled on him and the Holy Ghost comforted him that it was o.k. to lie, since his 2nd anointing is probably right around the corner. What a twit Peterson has become. So sad.

I can't wait til him and the Midget start gossiping about me because the Live sessions I am holding on the papyri and the Book of Abraham are irrefutable for them. I have some very interesting, deep personal information about him and Midgley from certain folks who know them and they have been generous in sharing some pretty damning stuff with me. Come and get me boys, I fight with nuclear fire, just to let you be aware of how ineffective you will be should you stupidly choose that route with me.