DCP: DiscussMormonism.com is “soul-destroying”

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: DCP: DiscussMormonism.com is “soul-destroying”

Post by Res Ipsa »

That’s incredibly insulting and outrageous! Who does he think he is — claiming that I have a soul. :twisted:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Every time someone bashes this board or questions my participation here, I admit that this place isn't perfect, but I don't know a better place to discuss Mormonism online. I say that, if there's a better place, I'm open to suggestions.

I have yet to receive one.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:24 am
That’s incredibly insulting and outrageous! Who does he think he is — claiming that I have a soul. :twisted:
:lol: LUV IT!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Peterson wrote: If they were ever interested in my counsel, though, it would be to avoid such places like the plague. Not merely because they’re faith-destroying, but because the sneering, angry cynicism and the incessant fault-finding and defamation that flourishes on such sites seems to me soul-destroying.
These kinds of boards are not nearly as hostile to us as more orthodox blogs that ban us after first having their ravenous minions drive pain sticks in our sides.

ByTW, God loves both the misguided believer and the doubting seeker of truth. They are both invited to the infinitely recursive banquet. Although on separate conveyor pathways, we will funnel through the narrow gate like sands in a Teflon-coated hourglass.

Not to worry, even if Dr. Midgley and Pahoran make an ungodly food-fight mess at the banquet table, God will clean it up with a simple wax-off hand gesture. She has the power.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Meh. I would be hard pressed to find another place right now where I felt so comfortable being myself and interacting with friends of many years. It is a place where a Christian and wonderful human being like msnobody can treat me in a Christlike way, and I can see it, appreciate it, and be humbled by it. It is a place where I can deeply disagree with aspects of what my dear friend Shulem is saying while appreciating its good points and loving him all the same.

Is that soul-destroying?

Not for me!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

I think Dan does this from time to time over on Interpreter when he feels a craving for our attention.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:22 pm
Meh. I would be hard pressed to find another place right now where I felt so comfortable being myself and interacting with friends of many years. It is a place where a Christian and wonderful human being like msnobody can treat me in a Christlike way, and I can see it, appreciate it, and be humbled by it. It is a place where I can deeply disagree with aspects of what my dear friend Shulem is saying while appreciating its good points and loving him all the same.

Is that soul-destroying?

Not for me!

Indeed, love trumps all. It's not easy talking about religion. It's a subject that causes so much conflict and disagreement in the world among friends, family, and everyone. I will say, I find the golden rule in the Bible to be one of the best teachings ever -- do unto others as you would have them to unto you. It's a fabulous concept and it's the best way to live in my opinion. And it can take a lifetime to master that skill. lol
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

DCP wrote:
It is, I realize, a weird character flaw — or, probably more accurately said, a regrettable personality defect — but I’m quite interested in what critics of the Church have to say. For example, I look in every few days on two extremely unpleasant (and mostly atheist) online anti-Mormon message boards, so as to see what’s agitating or delighting people there.

I’m often astonished, to be frank, at the profound cynicism, the deep and hostile negativity, of some people on those sites. I don’t discount the fact that there are reasons for doubt and occasions for taking offense or feeling injured. But the attitude of some seems to me to go beyond that. Candidly, it often seems to me a spiritual illness. And a debilitating one.

I sincerely hope that these folks are happier and more pleasant in real life, away from those sites. If they were ever interested in my counsel, though, it would be to avoid such places like the plague. Not merely because they’re faith-destroying, but because the sneering, angry cynicism and the incessant fault-finding and defamation that flourishes on such sites seems to me soul-destroying.
Thanks for looking down on us from on high, DCP. Perhaps you should formulate a mission of mercy with Kiwi57 and the Midge, like the fictional Ammon did in the Book of Mormon, and come over here and save our souls?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MsJack wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:06 am
Every time someone bashes this board or questions my participation here, I admit that this place isn't perfect, but I don't know a better place to discuss Mormonism online. I say that, if there's a better place, I'm open to suggestions.

I have yet to receive one.

This board has been and still is a great place to get reliable answers and thought provoking ideas on a great many subjects dealing with Mormonism. This board is a destination in its own rite and a lot of good information is packed herein. There are a lot of good people here too of different backgrounds and stripes. The board is quite diverse.

The right of free speech and the Three Degrees is what allows it work and function the way it should.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

If Dan were seeking my advice, it would be for him to stop wasting time on the internet and start writing his book. Also to eat less and exercise more.

His nutritional choices have made his health questionable, especially as he ages. He doesn’t have much time left to accomplish the task he said is so important to him. Certainly not when he’s up at night thinking about what online message boards he despises are up to.