DCP: DiscussMormonism.com is “soul-destroying”

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: DCP: DiscussMormonism.com is “soul-destroying”

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:24 am
That’s incredibly insulting and outrageous! Who does he think he is — claiming that I have a soul. :twisted:
I appreciate the smoking deal on it, by the way. Your box of Beemans Chewing Gum, and Quantum Leap themed Pogs should be there in a few days.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:56 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:24 am
That’s incredibly insulting and outrageous! Who does he think he is — claiming that I have a soul. :twisted:
I appreciate the smoking deal on it, by the way. Your box of Beemans Chewing Gum, and Quantum Leap themed Pogs should be there in a few days.
I thank you, sir!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:22 pm
Meh. I would be hard pressed to find another place right now where I felt so comfortable being myself and interacting with friends of many years. It is a place where a Christian and wonderful human being like msnobody can treat me in a Christlike way, and I can see it, appreciate it, and be humbled by it. It is a place where I can deeply disagree with aspects of what my dear friend Shulem is saying while appreciating its good points and loving him all the same.

Is that soul-destroying?

Not for me!
Very well said. Yes, the actual soul destroying occurs with a church claiming to be the only true and living church on our planet lying to us and gaslighting, and allowing their own scholars to do serious damage to credibility to truth through deliberate hiding and lying about evidence when it doesn't suit it's own cheatin (whitewashed) version of history. That is vastly more dangerous for souls than our little bit of heaven here on the message board.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MsJack wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:06 am
I don't know a better place to discuss Mormonism online.
I agree.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

he’s quaking with rage over the thread about his recent “Interpreter” piece, in which it’s pretty clear that he didn’t actually read the entire book
I'd say that's probably right.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Philo Sofee wrote:I have some very interesting, deep personal information about him and Midgley from certain folks who know them and they have been generous in sharing some pretty damning stuff with me.
Does that information involve Midgley, DCP, a giant bowl of jello, a tapir and a Liza Minelli greatest hits cd?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I too have heard some very interesting rumors about DCP from some of his friends that he's pissed off over the years. I'll just leave the insinuations here on this public space like DCP does to let your mind run with the possibilities.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:20 pm
Some provocative new remarks from Dr. Peterson over at SeN:
It is, I realize, a weird character flaw — or, probably more accurately said, a regrettable personality defect — but I’m quite interested in what critics of the Church have to say. For example, I look in every few days on two extremely unpleasant (and mostly atheist) online anti-Mormon message boards, so as to see what’s agitating or delighting people there.

I’m often astonished, to be frank, at the profound cynicism, the deep and hostile negativity, of some people on those sites. I don’t discount the fact that there are reasons for doubt and occasions for taking offense or feeling injured. But the attitude of some seems to me to go beyond that. Candidly, it often seems to me a spiritual illness. And a debilitating one.

I sincerely hope that these folks are happier and more pleasant in real life, away from those sites. If they were ever interested in my counsel, though, it would be to avoid such places like the plague. Not merely because they’re faith-destroying, but because the sneering, angry cynicism and the incessant fault-finding and defamation that flourishes on such sites seems to me soul-destroying.
Quite a strong condemnation, no? I wonder what it was that set him off?
He needs to feel important and still be part of the discussion, he wants exactly what you gave him, attention. Don’t over think it.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

If by "soul" he means, the soul of Mopologetics, then he is correct. That soul is destroyed when exposed to critical analysis, peer-reviewed scientific method, logical rigor and, always, the more fulsome set of facts.

Of course, cynicism should be rooted out of any dialogue and my counsel to the good Dr. Peterson on the accusation of cynicism would be, take a hard look in the family photo over there at Sic et Non. Kettle black much today, eh?

The soul of Mopologetics should be destroyed because it is soul-less from the perspective of academic integrity.

Thank God for resources available in this information age, where questioning people can gather in numbers to collectively expose the recurrent deception of Mopologetics.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Mopologetics has an impossible mission: to defend the faith without getting into the issues in an open and honest manner. The whole effort is rife with problems. Where to begin? What is LDS doctrine? Well, who knows? What is LDS theology? An even bigger problem. LDS scripture claims to be ancient but transparently is a product of the 19th century.

There are things that could conceivably be done to address these problems, but the "Brethren" are not interested in them. They view them to be anathema.

So Mopologists engage in all kinds of bad reasoning, sleight of hand, and other dubious methods in order to accomplish the impossible. The failure that results is inevitable, as is the anger people feel for coming to the conclusion that they have been duped or some such.

Have to say that being a Mopologist is tough. It is sad that the job is what it is, and that the people who are supposed to be helped by it are in fact harmed by it in the end.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow