General Conference 2022

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: General Conference 2022

Post by Rivendale »

cinepro wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:41 pm
Moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:38 am
Cruise Lady Caribbean Temple - Ports of call from Bermuda to San Juan. Enjoy a Cruise Lady Temple vacation today!
Greg Prince's book on David O. Mckay actually mentions them considering making a "Temple ship" that could travel to different areas. It's actually not a bad idea, but I expect it would have looked a little too much like L. Ron Hubbard's boats with "Sea Org"-type zealots manning the helm.
Instead an NBC executive intercepted the idea and the Love Boat was created. Captain Stubing does have that Uchdorf vibe.
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:45 pm
cinepro wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:39 pm

That wasn't in conference.
And ironically it’s the most recent publicly admitted revelation from the brethren.

I suppose the days of disclosing revelation at the pulpit during conference is over, they’ll all now be quietly added to non-public church handbooks.
Are you sure about that? I suspect if you look at the last few years, there have been several things that were presented as revelation. The emphasis on the Church's name seems to have been presented that way, for example:
“The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for his church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-a ... ormon-1417
Reflexzero
Nursery

Post by Reflexzero »

cinepro wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:52 pm
drumdude wrote:

And ironically it’s the most recent publicly admitted revelation from the brethren.

I suppose the days of disclosing revelation at the pulpit during conference is over, they’ll all now be quietly added to non-public church handbooks.
Are you sure about that? I suspect if you look at the last few years, there have been several things that were presented as revelation. The emphasis on the Church's name seems to have been presented that way, for example:
“The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for his church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints”

I think that one in particular might have been indigestion, rather than revelation.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Reflexzero wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:45 pm
cinepro wrote:

I think that one in particular might have been indigestion, rather than revelation.
:lol:
Equality
CTR B

Post by Equality »

cinepro wrote:
drumdude wrote:

What's really amazing is that "the Lord" impressed upon Rusty's mind precisely the same position that Rusty held in an internal debate among the Brethren on a matter of bureaucratic minutia (and it was the exact opposite position to the one strongly held by "the Lord's" mouthpiece just two administrations prior). A miracle!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Did any one watch anything today of Saturday's session? Anyone going to watch tomorrow's? I might, just so I have something to say about it for my Sunday Night Fireside Live session before I continue disemboweling the apologists on the papyri and Book of Abraham facsimiles. I just fall asleep listening to them is my problem...
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

How does gaining entrance to GC work? Do you just go and walk in and sit down wherever you find an available seat?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:53 am
How does gaining entrance to GC work? Do you just go and walk in and sit down wherever you find an available seat?
You have to have a ticket. Usually stakes get some, and leaders can divvy them out to members of their congregations. My mother picked up a few and should be there this time.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I was expecting DCP to get a special award from the 12 today for Witnesses. Especially since Witnesses was completely snubbed by the Oscar’s.

I know DCP is very disappointed. He spent a lot of time rehearsing what he would say today during his acceptance speech.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:45 am
But here we are in 2022. The largest war is happening right now in Europe since WWII.
We have prophets on the earth for times like these.
You will be happy to know that 2nd Councilor David O. McKay acknowledged the war in the first paragraph of the opening Conference talk in April 1943. President Heber J. Grant also acknowledged that there was a war going on. All of this happened before stressing the importance of tithing! There is precedence for not being disconnected from current events. When those gentiles start menacing fair Deseret with their wagon trains, we will know!!!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace