Gaslighting Planets

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Gaslighting Planets

Post by Kishkumen »

LittleNipper wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:01 pm
You see, real Christians do not specifically equate belonging to a denomination with their own salvation. They will see their salvation as a relationship with GOD the FATHER through GOD the SON and being baptized through the spiritual indwelling of GOD the SPIRIT.
You mean like true Scotsmen?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
LittleNipper
Nursery

Post by LittleNipper »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:28 pm
LittleNipper wrote:
You see, real Christians do not specifically equate belonging to a denomination with their own salvation. They will see their salvation as a relationship with GOD the FATHER through GOD the SON and being baptized through the spiritual indwelling of GOD the SPIRIT.
Nothing wrong with a good Presbyterian, except they allow baby christenings. I see nothing wrong with baby dedication, but the child should not be "baptized" until he/she has made a profession of faith (an outward sign of an inward change) testimonial. And this is yet another reason I do not approve of Mormonism. They actually believe the water immersion is necessary for salvation. I do not. It is an illustration that a believer can participate in, and helps to make one willing to be flexible to GOD wishes.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

LittleNipper wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:10 pm
Kishkumen wrote:

Nothing wrong with a good Presbyterian, except they allow baby christenings. I see nothing wrong with baby dedication, but the child should not be "baptized" until he/she has made a profession of faith (an outward sign of an inward change) testimonial. And this is yet another reason I do not approve of Mormonism. They actually believe the water immersion is necessary for salvation. I do not. It is an illustration that a believer can participate in, and helps to make one willing to be flexible to GOD wishes.
In the PCA church it is more of a dedication that the parents and church vow to help nurture and lead the child to Christ. There is nothing salvific about the sprinkling of babies in the PCA church. This is the same way I understood it when I was raised in the United Methodist Church.

The thing I struggled with when we joined the PCA church was the Lord’s supper and baptism as sacraments versus ordinances. Once I understood it better, I found that it being considered a sacrament brought much deeper meaning.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
LittleNipper
Nursery

Post by LittleNipper »

Thanks for the clarification. I know that CHRISTIANS sometime struggle with semantics and pre, mid, and post Tribulation. But we ALL hold to the TRINITY (meaning Jesus may have emptied HIMSELF while living on this earth but being GOD's SON meant HE was indeed GOD). We ALL hold to the VIRGIN BIRTH. We ALL hold to the sanctity of the Holy Scriptures. We ALL hold to the necessity of the DEATH, BURIAL. and RESURRESTION of JESUS CHRIST. We ALL believe Jesus is the heir to the throne of David and will return to reign for 1000 years. We ALL hold to repentance and faith in OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST as the ONLY means of Salvation.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

LittleNipper wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:02 pm
Thanks for the clarification. I know that CHRISTIANS sometime struggle with semantics and pre, mid, and post Tribulation. But we ALL hold to the TRINITY (meaning Jesus may have emptied HIMSELF while living on this earth but being GOD's SON meant HE was indeed GOD). We ALL hold to the VIRGIN BIRTH. We ALL hold to the sanctity of the Holy Scriptures. We ALL hold to the necessity of the DEATH, BURIAL. and RESURRESTION of JESUS CHRIST. We ALL believe Jesus is the heir to the throne of David and will return to reign for 1000 years. We ALL hold to repentance and faith in OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST as the ONLY means of Salvation.
You don't really need to capitalize words to add emphasis.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

msnobody wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:26 am
In the PCA church it is more of a dedication that the parents and church vow to help nurture and lead the child to Christ. There is nothing salvific about the sprinkling of babies in the PCA church. This is the same way I understood it when I was raised in the United Methodist Church.

The thing I struggled with when we joined the PCA church was the Lord’s supper and baptism as sacraments versus ordinances. Once I understood it better, I found that it being considered a sacrament brought much deeper meaning.
For Presbyterians, baptizing a child is for the purposes of bringing that child into the covenant the parents have with God. Since Presbyterians traditionally hold to a Calvinistic soteriology, the baptism doesn't confer any grace that wasn't already there. By contrast, Lutherans also baptize children, because they believe in baptismal regeneration, which just means that the act of baptism enables salvation (but doesn't guarantee it).

I'm fascinated by the debates between Credo and Paedo baptism within Christianity.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Infant versus believer baptism is a tricky question. Apart from whether or not the magic water—or the the magic profession of faith—will save your soul, the two kinds of ritual offer different advantages. Getting immersed in cold water as a teenager or adult, in front of a lot of people who know you, after or before making some kind of public and personal statement to all of them, is one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences that is bound to mean something. Confirmation isn't nearly as cool. On the other hand it means something to a community if it declares that even infants are in an important sense full members.

You gain something and lose something significant whichever way you decide. I'm for infant baptism because I feel that no matter how meaningful baptism may feel when you're old enough to experience it, those kinds of subjective feelings aren't ultimately all that important. I think the recognition that before God we are all basically infants is more important.

But I can see a good case for the other viewpoint as well. Precisely because we are really all more childlike, even animal-like, than we may like to think, perhaps we should accept that we need to mark important changes in life with emotional experiences like public speaking and immersion in water.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
LittleNipper
Nursery

Post by LittleNipper »

Physics Guy wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:49 pm
Infant versus believer baptism is a tricky question. Apart from whether or not the magic water—or the the magic profession of faith—will save your soul, the two kinds of ritual offer different advantages. Getting immersed in cold water as a teenager or adult, in front of a lot of people who know you, after or before making some kind of public and personal statement to all of them, is one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences that is bound to mean something. Confirmation isn't nearly as cool. On the other hand it means something to a community if it declares that even infants are in an important sense full members.

You gain something and lose something significant whichever way you decide. I'm for infant baptism because I feel that no matter how meaningful baptism may feel when you're old enough to experience it, those kinds of subjective feelings aren't ultimately all that important. I think the recognition that before God we are all basically infants is more important.

But I can see a good case for the other viewpoint as well. Precisely because we are really all more childlike, even animal-like, than we may like to think, perhaps we should accept that we need to mark important changes in life with emotional experiences like public speaking and immersion in water.
GOD gives one the faith. Water is just water. 1 Timothy 1:4
nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith.

Hebrews 12:2
fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 Corinthians 12:9
to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,

Ephesians 6:23
Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

LittleNipper wrote:
You see, real Christians do not specifically equate...
Kishkumen wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:10 pm
Nothing wrong with a good Presbyterian...
classic
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

For Presbyterians, baptizing a child is for the purposes of bringing that child into the covenant the parents have with God. Since Presbyterians traditionally hold to a Calvinistic soteriology, the baptism doesn't confer any grace that wasn't already there. By contrast, Lutherans also baptize children, because they believe in baptismal regeneration, which just means that the act of baptism enables salvation (but doesn't guarantee it).
PCA Church Book of Order
https://www.pcaac.org/wp-content/upload ... ebsite.pdf
The infant/child is initially a non-communing member.
I'm fascinated by the debates between Credo and Paedo baptism within Christianity.
Come let us reason together. ;)
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7