Mormon leaks exposes vast real estate wealth

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: Mormon leaks exposes vast real estate wealth

Post by malkie »

Even Cory Doctorow is taking notice:
https://pluralistic.net/2022/04/06/foia-be-damned/
Doctorow wrote:More than five years ago, the MormonLeaks organization was founded to investigate and reveal corruption within the Latter Day Saints Church, from gender bias to financial transparency. After weathering baseless legal attacks from the church, the organization redoubled its efforts, changing its name to Truth and Transparency and expanding its remit to all organized religion.

In its latest report, Truth and Transparency chip away at the LDS Church's financial opacity, revealing 15,963 parcels (1,754,633 acres)of property holdings across the USA, with a minimum value of $15.7 billion.

https://www.truthandtransparency.org/ne ... -suggests/

Truth and Transparency was able to do this sleuthing thanks to a failure in the Church's secrecy methods. While examining the records of known Church holdings, researchers noticed that each one of these properties was tied to a common address, no matter which holding company or other entity nominally owned it.

By feeding this address into Reonomy's database of commercial US properties, they were able to pull up a massive data-set of suspected LDS properties. They hand-verified all properties valued at more than $20m, and another 1,000 randomly selected lower-value properties, confirming that they were all owned by the Church.

This makes the Church property portfolio the most valuable land-holdings in the USA, and they've only scratched the surface. The Reonomy database does not include residential properties, and it's possible that the Church has properties that aren't linked to the common address the researchers used to compile their data.

Truth and Transparency's report includes an interactive map that lets you explore the Church's properties. As they say the experience "can be jarring." They have also published their full data-set:

https://bit.io/egd/lds-landholdings
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Tacenda wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:45 pm
Well, when you have billions of dollars, and need to find something to spend money on....
Temples!

And other stuff. I agree with Jana Riess. The Brethren aren’t out for the money.

I think they do look back at early Utah history, however, and don’t want do go near that with a ten foot pole. Those were HARD times.

Regards,
MG
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:14 am
Tacenda wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:45 pm
Well, when you have billions of dollars, and need to find something to spend money on....
Temples!

And other stuff. I agree with Jana Riess. The Brethren aren’t out for the money.

I think they do look back at early Utah history, however, and don’t want do go near that with a ten foot pole. Those were HARD times.

Regards,
MG
Temples... that's all we need, more temples so members can pony up 10% of their income to practice Freemasonry. :oops: :lol: At this point, let's just call tithing what it really is... membership/club dues!