Plea to support DCPs blog

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Plea to support DCPs blog

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:52 pm
Dan is tired of defending the faith. Decades of work and what to show for all the apologetic work? The biggest decline of the church since Kirtland.

Let’s just give him a break and let him copy and paste in peace.
I see what you did there...
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Louis Midgley gemli • 6 hours ago

This is just more rubbish that gemli has been peddling for years. In addition, he never addresses anyone's actual comment. His responses are most often mere snot blowing.
Louis Midgley gemli
6 hours ago

Still more stupid blabber from gemli
Maybe it’s Midgley who is giving Peterson’s blog a bad name.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:26 am
Louis Midgley gemli • 6 hours ago

This is just more rubbish that gemli has been peddling for years. In addition, he never addresses anyone's actual comment. His responses are most often mere snot blowing.
Louis Midgley gemli
6 hours ago

Still more stupid blabber from gemli
Maybe?..... MAYBE?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I'm still handing it to Midgley. Over 90 and he's still so obsessive about getting in his religious taunts. I mean, the man has to believe this crap. I hand to gemli too for sticking around and pointing out their foolish ideas and teachings. I lasted, what? 2 months last summer (or whenever it was)?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Paloma
Nursery

Post by Paloma »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:05 pm
I'm still handing it to Midgley. Over 90 and he's still so obsessive about getting in his religious taunts. I mean, the man has to believe this crap. I hand to gemli too for sticking around and pointing out their foolish ideas and teachings. I lasted, what? 2 months last summer (or whenever it was)?
This perpetual "sticking it" to the 'outside' critics and disaffected members seems to me a most remarkable characteristic of the trio of Daniel Peterson, Louis Midgley and Kiwi 57.

What a lifetime interest and enjoyment!

In general, I sense a commitment to wisdom, faith, beauty and generosity of spirit in DCP but then there's this! I suspect he'd put it down to fun - perhaps an ironic and puckish sense of humour - but it does come across as mean and petty. (Thus the criticism he sets himself up for, that he thinks is wholly undeserved.)

What's with the 'shadow banning' - that ended up biting him in the butt. I think he said he got a kick out of thinking of those guys typing away, not knowing their comments were all in vain.

I'm not on anyone's 'side' here - not defending one's behaviour against the other, as I expect there are folks who enjoy going after DCP. (And I 'own' my criticizing him here!) But I do expect 'more' from DCP as I would think he'd expect of himself - as a compassionate Christian. I know he and his friends don't like when someone plays the "but it's not Christlike!" card on them, as I'm doing here. But what if it's true?

I've noticed that over time - in my opinion - he and Midgley are influencing more and more of their group of like-minded friends in the blog's comment section to enter into the derision of 'unwanted' elements. Perhaps this is unintentional. But it seems to me like hanging millstones around the necks of those whose own gentility and compassion are being caught up in the aura of mockery and contempt.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Paloma wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:35 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
This perpetual "sticking it" to the 'outside' critics and disaffected members seems to me a most remarkable characteristic of the trio of Daniel Peterson, Louis Midgley and Kiwi 57.

What a lifetime interest and enjoyment!

In general, I sense a commitment to wisdom, faith, beauty and generosity of spirit in DCP but then there's this! I suspect he'd put it down to fun - perhaps an ironic and puckish sense of humour - but it does come across as mean and petty. (Thus the criticism he sets himself up for, that he thinks is wholly undeserved.)

What's with the 'shadow banning' - that ended up biting him in the butt. I think he said he got a kick out of thinking of those guys typing away, not knowing their comments were all in vain.

I'm not on anyone's 'side' here - not defending one's behaviour against the other, as I expect there are folks who enjoy going after DCP. (And I 'own' my criticizing him here!) But I do expect 'more' from DCP as I would think he'd expect of himself - as a compassionate Christian. I know he and his friends don't like when someone plays the "but it's not Christlike!" card on them, as I'm doing here. But what if it's true?

I've noticed that over time - in my opinion - he and Midgley are influencing more and more of their group of like-minded friends in the blog's comment section to enter into the derision of 'unwanted' elements. Perhaps this is unintentional. But it seems to me like hanging millstones around the necks of those whose own gentility and compassion are being caught up in the aura of mockery and contempt.
It seems to me not at all uncommon for defenders of the faith to shrug off accusations of not being Christlike, or claiming that critics deserve whatever nastiness they get.

I think it may be due to an all's-fair-in-love-and-war feeling, and that, for them, this is war.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

dastardly stem wrote:
This taunt is insinuating something pretty ugly…
Louis Midgley
Philip Leaning
3 days ago

… I wonder if our amusing Village Atheist has his own unique way of mumbling to himself his way of hiding, for very good reasons, his true rather odd identity from his former Roman Catholic employers.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 5822402026
And yet, Peterson allows such specific insinuations to stand. He is in no position to complain about comments when he allows Midgley to post like that. Luckily, no one believes Midgley’s libelous comments, but it’s still wrong of Peterson to leave them up. He is creating his own ugly place.
Last edited by Marcus on Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Paloma wrote:
But I do expect 'more' from DCP as I would think he'd expect of himself - as a compassionate Christian.
At SeN, they would laugh at you in parseltongue.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Paloma wrote:
I know he and his friends don't like when someone plays the "but it's not Christlike!" card on them, as I'm doing here. But what if it's true?
What if?..... WHAT IF?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:34 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:26 am

Maybe?..... MAYBE?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: He certainly does pull more than his own weight. Kiwi helps, too.