Oaks makes sure the women know the men are still in charge…

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Oaks makes sure the women know the men are still in charge…

Post by IHAQ »

The introductory remarks of the womens session of conference went like this…
My dear sisters, as we begin this unique women’s session of general conference, I am pleased to deliver this introductory message from the First Presidency.

Our Saturday sessions have a history of different purposes and different audiences. This evening we add to that history as we embark upon a new purpose and procedure for the foreseeable future. The gospel of Jesus Christ does not change. Gospel doctrine does not change. Our personal covenants do not change. But over the years, the meetings we hold to communicate our messages do change and very likely will continue to change over the years.

For now, this Saturday evening meeting is a session of general conference, not a session of any organization. Like all sessions of general conference, the planning, speakers, and music are designated by the First Presidency.

We have asked President Jean B. Bingham, General President of the Relief Society, to conduct this session. Future Saturday evening sessions may be conducted by one of the other General Officers of the Church, such as members of the General Presidencies of Relief Society, Young Women, and Primary, designated by the First Presidency.

Tonight this Saturday evening session of general conference will concentrate on the concerns of Latter-day Saint women. This will include the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the policies of the Church that relate specially to women, and the general responsibilities and work of the organizations that include the women and girls of the Church. Though this session is deliberately broadcast to a worldwide audience like all sessions of general conference, the audience invited to be present in the Conference Center for this session is women and girls age 12 and older. We have included some priesthood leaders who preside over the participating organizations.
https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

Quite a heavy handed reminder to the women folk that it’s the men folk really calling the shots at the womens session of conference.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Oaks makes sure the women know the men are still in charge…

Post by Philo Sofee »

Oh it is sure good to know someone can help the women do it correctly. We wouldn't want the Lord to get angry over a goof up...
Spectator80
Nursery

Post by Spectator80 »

I'm not sure that even Apostle Oaks understands the extent to which he came across as stromg-handed. Indeed, I think he may have
simply been relying on well-established "conducting language" with no ulterior motive, Even granting that, however, there is a pressing
need for greater sensitivity. Every priesthood holder should ask himself, prior to giving a speech, "How is this going to sound to the
sisters in my audience?"

this going to sound to the
sisters in my audience?"
High Spy
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Some people will be assured by that, even most women.
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩