Missionaries at my door?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Markk
2nd Quorum of 70

Missionaries at my door?

Post by Markk »

I was just pondering and haven't had a missionary at my door in probably 3 years or more? I used to get them coming by 2 or 3 times a year.

I know they changed the program and are more online, but is tracking completely off the table these days?
msnobody
First Presidency

Re: Missionaries at my door?

Post by msnobody »

It has been several years for me too. I saw four here a couple of months ago. I lingered at the mailbox as I knew they would have to turn around and threw my hand up and waved and they stopped. I gave them my number, but never heard from them again.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Markk wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:50 am
I was just pondering and haven't had a missionary at my door in probably 3 years or more? I used to get them coming by 2 or 3 times a year.

I know they changed the program and are more online, but is tracking completely off the table these days?
Did you miss the pandemic? Missionary service is only just returning to anything resembling the pre pandemic activity. They’ve learned that online proselytising is equally as effective (ineffective) as cold calling people at home when they least expect it, and that young people are more likely to serve a mission in front of a computer screen than if they have to trudge around the world annoying people and having doors shut in their faces, and missions are about converting the missionary first and foremost. Converts are just a happy by-product.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I've gotten a couple of phone calls in the last several years. These young men are very eager, but lose interest in talking once they find that I am already a ward member.

On the NOM board, posters talk about the enjoyment they receive in treating these young people to a free meal. Not sure how it is with stateside missions, but I've heard that out in the field these missionaries are practically starving... well, maybe not those from Chateau Romney, but others from rural Idaho are unintentionally losing weight.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

There was a time when it was acceptable etiquette to knock unannounced at someone's door. Where a friend, relative, sales person, church member could still expect to be welcome. In the United States at least, and perhaps elsewhere, that has gradually become unacceptable. Door-to-door sales used to be a thing. Is it anymore? I suspect that like most things, it's taken and still taking the Church a bit longer to come up to speed with cultural norms. And I suspect this varies from among individuals and communities.

Missionaries last showed up at our door about a year ago. (After having gone years without seeing them.) I was in a bit of a pissy mood, perhaps having downed a few. Anyway, it went like this"

Missionaries: Is Brother Toon here? We'd like to share a message.
Me: No thanks. We don't believe in that crap anymore.
Missionaries: Ok, have a good day.
Me: Have a good day too.

And then the conversation with my 13-year-old daughter who heard it.

Daughter: That was rude. They have a mom. They're someones' kid.
Me: So was Hitler.
D: You can't compare them to Hitler.
M: Yes I can. I just did.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

The missionaries came by unannounced shortly after the November policy. I was upset and I'm sure they could hear it in my voice. I asked if they even knew about it, and apparently they did. Off they went, but the programming was strong and they still asked if I knew of anyone who might be interested. I can't blame them, those lines were so well trod in my head when I served. I considered going after them and giving them some cash for dinner, but hesitated to the point of I probably wouldn't be able to find them. I imagine though they didn't have high hopes, but it was a good way to kill an afternoon. The busses and walking to get to my door would have eaten up an hour each way.

Since the pandemic I've had some random friend requests from the missionaries serving in the ward. I do think some times if I am running errands in the town they live to see if they are home, or will be home for dinner/lunch and offer to drop off Pizza Hut (I imagine it would be welcomed, maybe especially if they are from the states).
Bond
Star B

Post by Bond »

The last time I had missionaries come to my door was around 2005 when I lived in WY. In Winter. Those poor bastards. I invited them in for a minute to warm up and then sent them on their way after a minute of chatting. I do occasionally see them in the wild in an eastern state where I live but it's always at Walmart or on their bikes going around. We did have to go and do a flu clinic for the men and women missionaries ~2018 at their church. One asked me to address him as Elder Jensen when I called his name and I said "nah bro I'm 15 years older than you. Sorry."
High Spy
Regional Representative

Post by High Spy »

Once upon a time I arrived home with a heavy snow thrower in the back of me car. That afternoon the missionary dudes showed up just in time to help lift it out of the car. Bednar mentioned timing three times in his 2005 GC address. Really it seems self evident, but that’s the best output from the fab 15 for the last long while.

Once upon a time I was deemed the timekeeper and it seems to have stuck. :lol:
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩