Is a "Shake-Up" on the Horizon for the 'New' Maxwell Institute?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Is a "Shake-Up" on the Horizon for the 'New' Maxwell Institute?

Post by Moksha »

The BYU administration demands concerted musket fire and they must root out all liberal professors for the coming of the DezNat Nation.

This extra layer will ensure that happens. Leave no loose rocks or Saints unturned in solidifying both compliance and obedience of students and faculty!

Those traitorous scholars will rue the day they ever applied to BYU or failed to rise up in protest over the treatment of beloved Professor Peterson, defender of both the faith and all things bright and beautiful.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:21 am
my prediction -- what they'll end up doing if they get some Midgley-approved hardliner in, is shutting down LDS scholarship altogether at BYU.

Sure, there are going to be a handful of hyperactive bootlicks willing to do Mopologetics, or invent archaeological evidence, but they won't have inroads with other institutions. Nobody wants to hear TBM fundamentalists present the fake scholarship that can only get approved at Mormon Interpreter. And they really don't want to hear about trans-oceanic assaults against unorthodox members.

Does Holland really think that Claremont is going to want to listen to any of the rubbish of the last few years that counts as traditional apologetics?

Nobody who is interested in becoming a real scholar will have the slightest interest in doing a bunch of shoddy work that won't be looked at by anybody anyway.
Some good points, Dr. Robbers, though take a look at these comments from DCP:
I think it not impossible that the BYU administration, perhaps at the urging of the BYU board of trustees, is trying to take firmer control of the Maxwell Institute, BYU Studies, and the Religious Studies Center -- only the first of which has actually drawn expressions of concern from Salt Lake City.
But who knows?

Frankly, I no longer pay much attention to the Maxwell Institute. I've been obliged to move on. And I don't expect it to ever return to the purposes for which it was established and (at the risk of sounding maudlin) for which many of us made considerable sacrifices. Those days are past and gone. They won't come back.
First, I think he's flat-out lying when he says that he "no longer pay(s) much attention to the Maxwell Institute." Sure: maybe he deliberately avoids their publications, but you can 100% guarantee that he cares about gossip, or personnel changes, or anything that might signal that the Mormon Studies folks are being "punished" in some way. Further, his tidbit about being on a cruise with Neilson confirms my long-standing suspicions about the "coziness" between Cruise Lady and the Interpreter Foundation. It comes as absolutely no surprise whatsoever that Dr. Peterson would have used these cruises to deliberately undermine the "New" Maxwell Institute. I mean, in his sign-off letter to Bradford, he basically announced that that was what he was planning to do.

Meanwhile, I notice his remarks that "only the first...has actually drawn expressions of concern from Salt Lake City"--meaning, I suppose, the so-called "spanking" that Holland delivered to the MI, though that speech has been interpreted in different ways. Stakeholders at the actual current MI certainly didn't view this in the same light as the Mopologists. And I daresay that the Interpreter Foundation has been subject to much greater "expressions of concern" from the Brethren than the "new" MI. Recall the DCP and Gee were "called on the carpet" over their attacks on the Joseph Smith Papers Project. I certainly never heard about something like this happening with the MI folks, nor were the MI people forced to change their publications in the wake of such "expressions of concern." If change is afoot, and the 'new" MI may be in for a "realignment," then mightn't we expect something similar--and perhaps more extensive--with Interpreter? Or does Interpreter's "independence" (and I put that in scare quotes due to Midgley's admission that the Interpreter Foundation gets funding from the Church) essentially shield it from this sort of "realignment"? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, just as I predicted, the Mopologists are rubbing their hands together in gleeful anticipation of the new MI getting "punished" somehow. The extent of their resentment and lust for revenge really is remarkable.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Whoever becomes the hand of SLC there on campus; I'm thinking about writing a letter to that person and letting my opinion be heard.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:21 am
Whoever becomes the hand of SLC there on campus; I'm thinking about writing a letter to that person and letting my opinion be heard.
We all ought to... and yes, I would join you in doing so. Perhaps we can get 500-1,000 signatures on it.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:32 pm
Perhaps we can get 500-1,000 signatures on it.
This is a Mantleist you're talking about, not a persuadable intellect! Mantleists live for the sizzle and smell of burning apostates, liberals, and LQBTQ at the stake. Offer up some BYU sacrifices and he will listen.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace