Is a "Shake-Up" on the Horizon for the 'New' Maxwell Institute?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Is a "Shake-Up" on the Horizon for the 'New' Maxwell Institute?

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I noticed over at SeN that Dr. Midgley is practically drooling with anticipation, presumably hopeful that all manner of revenge will be inflicted upon the so-called "New" Maxwell Institute:
Midgley wrote:I can assure anyone who cares to know my opinion that I hope that this position will very much help solve some lingering issues with the Maxwell Institute and also perhaps do something similar for the other two entities mentioned in the news release. I have for years often included the Maxwell Institute in my private prayers.
What is he referring to, you might wonder? It turns out that a new position has been created at BYU in order to oversee the MI, along with some other "entities" at the Lord's University:
BYU Academic Vice President Shane Reese appointed Dr. Reid L. Neilson as the assistant academic vice president for religious scholarly publications. This newly created position at the university will oversee three organizations on campus: the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, the Religious Studies Center, and BYU Studies.
Very interesting! I assume that Midgley and the other Mopologists are hoping that the newly-appointed Neilson will "order" the MI to publish apologetics and hit-pieces, or, at least, that he'll upbraid the MI leadership for having too much of a focus on worldly "Mormon Studies." In the meantime, as everyone holds their breath to see what will happen, I predict that the Mopologists will be exultant over the prospect of getting to see the "new" MI taken to task.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: Is a "Shake-Up" on the Horizon for the 'New' Maxwell Institute?

Post by Dr Moore »

"Lingering issues" :roll:

Midgley loves to remind visitors at SeN about Holland's "scolding" and I'm sure there is a connection, as you suggest.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Hate and retaliation seems to be what keeps Midgley alive. I love that he has revenge prayers for the M.I. It's like the evil eye or a cursing or shaking the dust off of his feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtTBLMqAPo0
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:36 am
Hate and retaliation seems to be what keeps Midgley alive. I love that he has revenge prayers for the M.I. It's like the evil eye or a cursing or shaking the dust off of his feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtTBLMqAPo0
Given how he posts, can you imagine how passive aggressive his prayers must be? Dear god, they must be monumental.
midgley, the saint wrote: I have for years often included the Maxwell Institute in my private prayers….
:twisted:
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

The plot thickens:
“DCP” wrote: Still, I think the Maxwell Institute would benefit from some realignment. And perhaps Reid Neilson, whom I know and like -- he and his family even came on a tour of Israel that I led some years ago -- will be able to help with that. We shall see.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:09 am
The plot thickens:
“DCP” wrote: Still, I think the Maxwell Institute would benefit from some realignment. And perhaps Reid Neilson, whom I know and like -- he and his family even came on a tour of Israel that I led some years ago -- will be able to help with that. We shall see.
Ah the return of apologetic classics perhaps! Oh dear God let it be! This shall give us mountains of materials to podcast about... My prayers also are that the Maxwell Institute is "encouraged" to bring back the old FARMS folk... what a treat that would be to get "Review of Books" Round #2!!!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

my prediction -- what they'll end up doing if they get some Midgley-approved hardliner in, is shutting down LDS scholarship altogether at BYU.

Sure, there are going to be a handful of hyperactive bootlicks willing to do Mopologetics, or invent archaeological evidence, but they won't have inroads with other institutions. Nobody wants to hear TBM fundamentalists present the fake scholarship that can only get approved at Mormon Interpreter. And they really don't want to hear about trans-oceanic assaults against unorthodox members.

Does Holland really think that Claremont is going to want to listen to any of the rubbish of the last few years that counts as traditional apologetics?

Nobody who is interested in becoming a real scholar will have the slightest interest in doing a bunch of shoddy work that won't be looked at by anybody anyway.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

If the scholarship can be removed from the so-called "Maxwell Institute" and combat reinstated, then they can get back to their intended mission of targeted musket fire. Rain holy apologetic fire down on those who disobey!!!

midgley, the saint wrote: I have for years often included the Maxwell Institute in my private prayers….

"Smite them O' Lord who hath stolen my soapbox and replaceth it with a measly blog, by the power of Grayskull, amen."
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Just what the Lord’s divine bureaucracy needs, another layer. Ugh.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:57 pm
Just what the Lord’s divine bureaucracy needs, another layer. Ugh.
:lol:
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats