Shulem's first Book of Abraham PODCAST!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
toon
CTR B

Re: Shulem's first Book of Abraham PODCAST!

Post by toon »

Thanks for putting this together. It was really well done. I’ve read a lot what you’ve posting here on this. But your video really encapsulates it. It was kind of an “aha” moment for me.

And don’t worry about any mispronunciations. I do that all the time, often with a stutter.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I like the idea that in recompense for the grave robbing, the Church could build a small pyramid on the sands west of Delta Utah, with the remaining mummies and their breathing permits. Perhaps a plaque giving the true translations of the Facsimiles and a small visitor's center playing Shulem's podcast on demand.

Think of it as a modern religion honoring a very ancient one.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:06 pm
I like the idea that in recompense for the grave robbing, the Church could build a small pyramid on the sands west of Delta Utah, with the remaining mummies and their breathing permits. Perhaps a plaque giving the true translations of the Facsimiles and a small visitor's center playing Shulem's podcast on demand.

Think of it as a modern religion honoring a very ancient one.

The full text of the SAGA OF THE BOOK OF ABRAHAM (1969) by Jay M. Todd is available at this link. It gives some interesting details how the mummies were procured and brought to the United States in order to be sold. Michael Chandler is of course the person who ultimately sold the mummies and the artifacts to the Mormons in Kirtland. The whole business of selling mummies by traveling coach to the highest bidder and persons not associated with a museum or having special means to preserve and respect ancient remains is in my view a freak-show. It shouldn't have happened! There are just so many things wrong with this picture. The Mormons should not have involved themselves with purchasing mummies dug from ancient graves on the other side of the globe. It's spiritually disconcerting and very disrespectful! The handling of the mummies and chopping up papyri to showcase Smith's professed ability to translate the ancient language is nothing less than a circus freak-show. The whole affair is very disturbing to say the least. THAT, my friends, is not the spirit of anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy. It's desecration! It's sacrilege. Mormons today need to look back and see it for what it was and put things in better perspective. That of course will involve some serious criticism towards their founding prophet.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Shulem, I shared your video with a few acquaintences last night, and explained some of the issues, since they are unfamiliar with the Book of Abraham. It was a moving experience. They are all former Mormon. Just the simplicity of describing the beauty of the facsimile was enough for us all. Thanks again.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:31 pm
Paul knows his stuff - I keep hoping that they can do a Mormonism Live with him.
Paul Osborne and Hagoth from the NOM board. Does anyone know how to make this happen?

It's like if we spot a vein of gold, how do we make those gentlemen in the Sacramento Assay Office take notice? For Orthodox LDS it's like, "Quick, go call the alchemists so we can make our own", but for Bill and RFM it might take cloud-piercing technology.

Kudos to John Dehlin for having jfro18 from the NOM board on Mormon Stories this week.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:33 am
jfro18 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:31 pm
Paul knows his stuff - I keep hoping that they can do a Mormonism Live with him.
Paul Osborne and Hagoth from the NOM board. Does anyone know how to make this happen?

It's like if we spot a vein of gold, how do we make those gentlemen in the Sacramento Assay Office take notice? For Orthodox LDS it's like, "Quick, go call the alchemists so we can make our own", but for Bill and RFM it might take cloud-piercing technology.

Kudos to John Dehlin for having jfro18 from the NOM board on Mormon Stories this week.
Let me see what I can do for them... although I know Paul is more a private person and I can respect that. I really enjoy all his content he continues to pour into messages around here however. I wouldn't know how to let Dehlin or Gerardo contact either one, but they are sharp enough to figure it out...
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:18 pm
Let me see what I can do for them... although I know Paul is more a private person and I can respect that. I really enjoy all his content he continues to pour into messages around here however. I wouldn't know how to let Dehlin or Gerardo contact either one, but they are sharp enough to figure it out...

Well, now that I've released that little sound bite of a podcast, people are able to witness a mannerism in me that may have proven somewhat surprising. That's Shulem?! WTF?

This now changes everything in a way because my past methods of brutality and direct attacks clash with the mannerism and style of expression given in the real life podcast. I'm really one of the nicest and kindest persons you would ever meet. But I like to express myself in different ways in order to explore what works and what doesn't and test things.

I honestly don't know where to go from here. I still have the work of Anubis's snout and things to uncover with that but I don't feel the rush and people don't really care all that much. I don't see myself doing public podcasts anytime soon. It's just not my way. So, all that, if there is a *that*, is on hold. But I do appreciate the interest.

Frankly, I think my Book of Mormon geography (direct hits) is my greatest contribution to the cause. If people could see it for what it is and connect the dots, it will explode. The Delmarva geography explains everything from the critic's point of view and pretty much takes the Book of Mormon at task and shows by the text that Smith landed Lehi on Delmarva where the plates could easily find their way to New York. Bear in mind, this is all from a 1829 perspective. Anything after 1829 is really quite irrelevant. Simon Southerton mentioned that important point in my geography thread when he piped in and endorsed the theory.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:18 pm
Thanks, Kerry! Sometimes it is up to us to help toot the horns that should be tooted. Paul is here and Kellen is at the NOM board. If the message is sent up the flag pole, Gerardo seems like a sharp enough cookie to follow through. I mean, that is what producers do, they produce. Likewise, since these two are of an academic bent, why not put Maven on the scent of what could be some boffo episodes?
Shulem
God

A new leaf

Post by Shulem »

Anyway, my little podcast of Fax 3 changes everything because I don't see how I can continue producing Book of Abraham threads that have a vicious or mean slant to them. I think it's fair to say that I've vented and am satisfied. So, if I have anything else to add to the forum about the Book of Abraham it will very likely be mellow with a friendly disposition. I've done the mean and nasty! Time to move on.

Shulem? What happened to Shulem?

8-)
Philo Sofee
God

Re: A new leaf

Post by Philo Sofee »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:18 pm
Anyway, my little podcast of Fax 3 changes everything because I don't see how I can continue producing Book of Abraham threads that have a vicious or mean slant to them. I think it's fair to say that I've vented and am satisfied. So, if I have anything else to add to the forum about the Book of Abraham it will very likely be mellow with a friendly disposition. I've done the mean and nasty! Time to move on.

Shulem? What happened to Shulem?

8-)
Oh where oh where has our Shulem gone?
Oh where oh where can he beeeee?
He's studyin hard and he's studyin long,
To his is the victoreeeeeey!

You just keep on producing good reading evidences and analysis squirt - that's an order. :D