Mormon Studies and Kishkumen

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Mormon Studies and Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:44 pm
Well I can certainly vouch for that! You would have a blast Kish...I for one would absolutely love to see that episode!
YouTube sensation, Philo Sofee, is excited to hear me interviewed? Cool!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:12 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:44 pm
Well I can certainly vouch for that! You would have a blast Kish...I for one would absolutely love to see that episode!
YouTube sensation, Philo Sofee, is excited to hear me interviewed? Cool!
Nah, I'm just small meat n potatoes, but some people really like my materials, so I keep going. It is truly a delight to do so.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Well, I am a longtime fan, Philo. I have loved your work from the beginning.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Has this individual had any run-ins with the Old Guard?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:28 pm
Well, I am a longtime fan, Philo. I have loved your work from the beginning.
From the time when Kerry was a young and callow fellow filming the luminaries of the FAIR Conferences.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

You guys give me far too much credit, but I am trying to live up to it. I'll never change, a more boyish enthusiasm for knowledge and learning and never quite up to "scholarly" discourse standards, but it is so much fun to learn and get clear, I just can't help the enthusiasm is all. Sure, to some it makes it difficult to take me seriously, but I don't even take me seriously, so I plod on, and make good progress I think. There is just SO much, and I haven't even gotten yet to my all time favorite topics in esoterica yet!!! Kish and I have talked for hours on that, and it is a topic that will explode once I get into it on my live sessions. I have no idea how the reception will go, but good grief I have gained an enormous amount of understanding this last decade in it! right now it is the literal historical which I find the most problematic in Mormonism, and I have been saying so strongly in this Backyard Professor Live series I have entitled "Getting Clear on the Joseph Smith Papyri." That being said, amazingly enough, there is an esoteric component even within Mormonism that is amazing, especially when seen alongside with what the ancient Mysteries contained and were doing. And all kinds of symbolisms play a part, numerical, cosmological, human, animal, and mythological. It's the realm of crackpots, without question, so one must tread carefully, but it's there. Just because the crackpots goof things up doesn't mean the ancient mysteries are all awash in idiocy, it's more on the crackpots, not the subject. I have no way to explain it yet, but I'm gonna be doing so in later sessions, so stay tuned.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:13 pm
Has this individual had any run-ins with the Old Guard?
No he hasn’t, but I doubt he would be very impressed. He’s one of the sharpest students I have had the pleasure of working with.

Moreover, he thought Mormonism was boring until he started researching the very things the LDS Church has in the past de-emphasized and Mopologists have denied or attacked scholars for discussing. There is little that would make him interested in what the LDS Church or Mopologists have to say.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:26 am
You guys give me far too much credit, but I am trying to live up to it. I'll never change, a more boyish enthusiasm for knowledge and learning and never quite up to "scholarly" discourse standards, but it is so much fun to learn and get clear, I just can't help the enthusiasm is all. Sure, to some it makes it difficult to take me seriously, but I don't even take me seriously, so I plod on, and make good progress I think. There is just SO much, and I haven't even gotten yet to my all time favorite topics in esoterica yet!!! Kish and I have talked for hours on that, and it is a topic that will explode once I get into it on my live sessions. I have no idea how the reception will go, but good grief I have gained an enormous amount of understanding this last decade in it! right now it is the literal historical which I find the most problematic in Mormonism, and I have been saying so strongly in this Backyard Professor Live series I have entitled "Getting Clear on the Joseph Smith Papyri." That being said, amazingly enough, there is an esoteric component even within Mormonism that is amazing, especially when seen alongside with what the ancient Mysteries contained and were doing. And all kinds of symbolisms play a part, numerical, cosmological, human, animal, and mythological. It's the realm of crackpots, without question, so one must tread carefully, but it's there. Just because the crackpots goof things up doesn't mean the ancient mysteries are all awash in idiocy, it's more on the crackpots, not the subject. I have no way to explain it yet, but I'm gonna be doing so in later sessions, so stay tuned.
I am eager to continue to learn about these things from you, Philo. I find your enthusiasm infectious and inspiring. You find things that other people fail to see.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Kishkumen wrote:Moreover, he thought Mormonism was boring until he started researching the very things the LDS Church has in the past de-emphasized and Mopologists have denied or attacked scholars for discussing. There is little that would make him interested in what the LDS Church or Mopologists have to say.
Understood, however, should his ideas ever find their way to to the Internet, then he should prepare for the Mopologists to have a keen interest in his work. And by "work", I don't just mean his ideas about Mormonism, but his life story. Perhaps a former Bishop will sell him out? Maybe a sibling or a cousin?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:45 pm
Kishkumen wrote:Moreover, he thought Mormonism was boring until he started researching the very things the LDS Church has in the past de-emphasized and Mopologists have denied or attacked scholars for discussing. There is little that would make him interested in what the LDS Church or Mopologists have to say.
Understood, however, should his ideas ever find their way to to the Internet, then he should prepare for the Mopologists to have a keen interest in his work. And by "work", I don't just mean his ideas about Mormonism, but his life story. Perhaps a former Bishop will sell him out? Maybe a sibling or a cousin?
The flip side of Packer - Some truths are very useful (for those wishing to control)...