Spending Easter With the Mopologists

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Spending Easter With the Mopologists

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:26 am
I noticed that, now that Easter has passed, the attacks on gemli have pretty much come to a complete standstill.
Perhaps they felt they stood in the place of Jesus on Easter, but now they would only be speaking as men, now that Easter has passed?
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Tom wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:16 pm
Marcus wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:53 pm
Lachlan Mackay still does oversee the Temple and surrounding historical properties, If I recall correctly, it would be interesting to see if he recalls anything similar to this story.
I agree.

There are a few LDS sources indicating that Karl Anderson told a similar story in April 2002 (they seem to be from the same source, Alyn Andrus):

https://archive.org/stream/historyofbyu ... r_djvu.txt (pp. 121-22)
https://www.byui.edu/a/69215 (p. 8 in the PDF)

Also, see here: https://www2.byui.edu/Presentations/Tra ... offord.htm (see fourth paragraph).
So Peterson's claim to have heard it first hand from someone who passed the sacrament at the meeting is likely spurious.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
I noticed that, now that Easter has passed, the attacks on gemli have pretty much come to a complete standstill.
Does this have any theological significance? Does Gemli take the place of a sacrificial animal as it was in old testament times?
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:28 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Does this have any theological significance? Does Gemli take the place of a sacrificial animal as it was in old testament times?
Probably something like that. In any case, it's clear that the Mopologists lack restraint. Even on Easter Sunday, the idea of "turning the other cheek" is impossible for them.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:25 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:28 am

Probably something like that. In any case, it's clear that the Mopologists lack restraint. Even on Easter Sunday, the idea of "turning the other cheek" is impossible for them.
Well, they aren't actual Christians anyway, more like Josephians...
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:09 pm

Well, they aren't actual Christians anyway
That's true. What the episode is reminiscent of those young kids at Church who struggle to sit still during Sacrament Meeting. Their mom "shush"es them, tells them to fold their arms, etc. Eventually, they settle down and behave. The Mopologists are like those restless kids, except there is nothing anyone can do to get them to calm down and respect the Easter Sabbath. They would happily tell Jesus Christ himself to go suck eggs if he tried to get them to lay off Gemli for a day.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

The crusade continues, I see, with over 20 aggressive retorts aimed at Gemli on this Orthodox Easter Weekend. Prof. P. claims that he only responds because Gemli is "attacking [his] religion." Well, then: ban him. Or just don't respond. It seems to me that there are a lot of options that aren't being pursued. Going back and forth, over and over and over and over again, on the Sabbath, no less, seems ill-advised for a disciple of Christ, no? Then again, I gather than Sacrament Meetings can be mind-numbingly boring, and sure: while you're supposed to actually sit reflectively and think about Christ and the Gospel, flinging mud at Gemli and surfing the Internet on your phone is probably a lot more entertaining.