Book- The Resurrection of The Son of God

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
Prophet

Book- The Resurrection of The Son of God

Post by msnobody »

... by N.T. Wright

Has anybody read this book? I want to read it, but I don't want to fork out 40 bucks. I can check it out at the public library, but not sure I can read all 848 pages in the allotted checkout/renewal time. Of course, if I like it, it would probably be worthy of buying one for the Msnobody bookshelf. What to do?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Physics Guy
God

Re: Book- The Resurrection of The Son of God

Post by Physics Guy »

I haven’t read this one, but I got Wright’s Jesus and the Victory of God as an e-Book a while ago … and apparently only got 17% through it.

I remember finding it disappointing, with a lot of teasing of topics that were then postponed for later discussion, in a way that could just have been bad academic writing of the pompously pedantic kind. It actually came off to me as cagey, though—the kind of shifty rhetorical dodge to which you resort when you’re setting up some baiting and switching, referring to a case as if you have made it, instead of actually making it.

Perhaps I stopped reading too soon, and it gets better later, but that first 17% seems to have killed my interest. I had heard good things about Wright and wanted to like the first book of his that I tried. I was disappointed.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I have read The New Testament and the People of God and Jesus and the Victory of God by New Testament Wright.I found both informative and thoughtful in ways that have influenced my understanding and shown how Jesus fits into history. I wish I could say he is a better writer. His plodding explorations can try ones patience. In truth it took me a couple of years to read the Victory of God. It got set aside for extended times. I purchased a copy of The Resurrection of the Son of God at about the same time. I have not yet done much more than peruse it. I can only promise that it is long winded and reviews all sorts of things which might have some sort of relevance.

I posted a very simplified (oversimplified?) point of view about Jesus in the thread about Jesus becoming savior which was influenced by Wrights views. In the Victory of God Wright develops the view that Jesus made use of apocalyptic themes common in the time in new ways to explore his own message and mission. He ends up making a thoroughgoing reading of the apocalyptic language in terms of events of the time. In some ways convincing or in some ways might be seen as overreaching. People can disagree with him, Bart Ehrman does.

///
adding, There are themes or ideas in the first book, that Jesus lived as Gods true intention of the righteousness of Israel and is a foundation for Gods relationship to Israel and the rest of the world. One might note that expands the idea of atonement well beyond blood sacrifice alone.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

msnobody wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:09 am
... by N.T. Wright
Louis Midgley, Curmudgeon Emeritus of FARMS, is enamored with that author.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:57 pm
msnobody wrote:
... by N.T. Wright
I cannot say for sure but it is possible that Louis Midgley enjoys a sunny spring day as well.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:57 pm
msnobody wrote:
... by N.T. Wright
Interesting
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Coming in May is a huge debate on the resurrection between two scholars Bart Ehrman and Mike Licona

https://www.bartehrman.com/did-the-resu ... emmathorne

I checked Jospeh Smith's inspired version (IV) and there are variations in the gospel accounts. Two angels are sitting on top of the rock Matt 28:2; Mark16:3; Luke 24:2; John 20:1; Two accounts in Mark and Luke (KJV) have in the first instance the women run into one angel inside and Luke two angels inside. This is ommitted in the IV. In John (KJV) 20 Mary sees the tomb open and leaves and gets peter and john. No mention of two angels.