Additional scriptures as a means of controlling people

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
Prophet

Additional scriptures as a means of controlling people

Post by msnobody »

I heard someone say today of the possibility of the extra laws the Jewish leaders imposed as a means of controlling people. Is it possible that the extra scriptures in Mormonism served as a means of controlling people? I haven’t thought this out much.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
drumdude
God

Re: Additional scriptures as a means of controlling people

Post by drumdude »

D&C 132 verse 54
And I command mine handmaid, Emma Smith, to abide and cleave unto my servant Joseph, and to none else. But if she will not abide this commandment she shall be destroyed, saith the Lord; for I am the Lord thy God, and will destroy her if she abide not in my law.
Yes. Q.E.D.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Could it be farther reaching than Emma?
Last edited by msnobody on Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:53 am
drumdude wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:38 am
D&C 132 verse 54

Yes. Q.E.D.
What is Q.E.D.?
"Q.E.D. or QED is an initialism of the Latin phrase quod erat demonstrandum, meaning "which was to be demonstrated". Literally it states "what was to be shown". Traditionally, the abbreviation is placed at the end of mathematical proofs and philosophical arguments in print publications, to indicate that the proof or the argument is complete."

In other words, I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's minds that Joseph Smith created scripture as a means of controlling others to meet his own ends.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:01 am
msnobody wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:53 am

What is Q.E.D.?
"Q.E.D. or QED is an initialism of the Latin phrase quod erat demonstrandum, meaning "which was to be demonstrated". Literally it states "what was to be shown". Traditionally, the abbreviation is placed at the end of mathematical proofs and philosophical arguments in print publications, to indicate that the proof or the argument is complete."

In other words, I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's minds that Joseph Smith created scripture as a means of controlling others to meet his own ends.
Sorry I edited my comment because I answered my own question. I thought I edited it fast enough before someone posted.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Women and girls were basically traded like baseball cards as rewards to Smith's associates in exchange for loyalty, power, favors - whatever Joseph needed from them. Joseph used scripture (D&C 132) as justification for the disgusting practice.

Without the influence of Smith's Mormonism, how many of those poor women would have wanted to share their husbands? Making women do something so awful is... well I can't think of a more powerful show of controlling people.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I think it would be more fair to say; "scriptures as a means of controlling people" and leave it at that. Yes, Joseph Smith used "additional scriptures" to control people, but plenty of other religious leaders if not all religious leaders use their extant scriptures to control people, if they don't make up their own. Of course, some churches are more controlling than others.

One way to control people with scripture is to say nobody has authority, only the Bible and the holy spirit, but then people are carefully groomed to know what the holy spirit is allowed to make them do and say, and what the Bible teaches. And somehow, so many of these people who are free in Christ Jesus end up freely in massive congregations that pull in a lot of money and look just like any other controlling religion.
2bizE
Nursery

Post by 2bizE »

What comes to mind is things the prophet says that immediately become commandments, even stronger than scripture…like when GBH mentioned women should only have one set of earrings…the next day all of the BYU schools were cracking down on female students with more than one piercing.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:45 am
I think it would be more fair to say; "scriptures as a means of controlling people" and leave it at that. Yes, Joseph Smith used "additional scriptures" to control people, but plenty of other religious leaders if not all religious leaders use their extant scriptures to control people, if they don't make up their own. Of course, some churches are more controlling than others.

One way to control people with scripture is to say nobody has authority, only the Bible and the holy spirit, but then people are carefully groomed to know what the holy spirit is allowed to make them do and say, and what the Bible teaches. And somehow, so many of these people who are free in Christ Jesus end up freely in massive congregations that pull in a lot of money and look just like any other controlling religion.
There can be a very fine line there, especially when one adds to scripture, or takes one and runs with it without comparison to other scriptures.