Backyard Professor on Dehlin's Mormon Stories May 10th

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Backyard Professor on Dehlin's Mormon Stories May 2nd

Post by Philo Sofee »

Rollo Redux wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:12 pm
Looking forward to it, Professor!
Looking forward to having you in the audience Rollo!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:53 am
Wow, that will be in only one week!

Does the audience need to make any extra preparations like having plenty of diet soda on hand?
I shall set the example by guzzling it on the show myself... :lol:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Symmachus wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:13 pm
I have only listened to one Mormon Stories episode in the past decade (Ritner's, although RFM really carried that series). Yours will be my second, Philo, and I'm really looking forward to it.
RFM was on today.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:18 am
Symmachus wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:13 pm
I have only listened to one Mormon Stories episode in the past decade (Ritner's, although RFM really carried that series). Yours will be my second, Philo, and I'm really looking forward to it.
RFM was on today.
Aw man....I had to work dang it!
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:06 am
I had Gerardo at my house for 3 hours today photographing all my visuals . . . It is truly going to be a unique presentation and Gerardo was amazed and thrilled as I was explaining what my visuals were showing. It's going to be spectacular (according to Gerardo). . . I have a short video with Gerardo on my Backyard Professor #15 on my live I did tonight in the opening 5 minutes on Mormon Discussion Inc website.
Who the Hell is "Gerardo?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:44 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:06 am
I had Gerardo at my house for 3 hours today photographing all my visuals . . . It is truly going to be a unique presentation and Gerardo was amazed and thrilled as I was explaining what my visuals were showing. It's going to be spectacular (according to Gerardo). . . I have a short video with Gerardo on my Backyard Professor #15 on my live I did tonight in the opening 5 minutes on Mormon Discussion Inc website.
In the last couple of years John has hired several new co-hosts and behind the scenes helpers. He’s one of them.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:02 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:44 am
In the last couple of years John has hired several new co-hosts and behind the scenes helpers. He’s one of them.
Oh.

Am I the only one who didn't know that?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:15 am
Am I the only one who didn't know that?
5,678,249,701 people also did not know that.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Who'd a thought a little old piece of scripture Joseph had people pen nearly 200 years ago would be getting such play in our day? Yes, Joseph put it in his newspaper but one must wonder if he ever thought people 200 years later would be so intrigued with it? He either was in the sack with the devil or a prophet of God...no in between. :roll:

It goes without saying many a former Mormon really enjoys the topic of the Book of Abraham. Most Mormons either don't know it's being talked about, or think the level of interest from the ex's demonstrates it's endorsement from God. Many of the other Mormons who seem to be at least somewhat aware of the criticisms also seem to be content that God knows what he's doing while continuing to ignore the text and the pictures in their daily religious moves. I can't believe how much time I've spent over the years trying to care about the topic.

I hope the episode goes well. As much as we like all the other ex-Mormon content sharers, Dehlin ranks the highest. Putting yourself on that show speaks the loudest. It'll likely be one of those times where i bite the bullet and give it a listen.

ETA: My goodness I see I already saw this yesterday and made a smarmy joke of sorts. Ah well...must be getting old.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:51 pm
Who'd a thought a little old piece of scripture Joseph had people pen nearly 200 years ago would be getting such play in our day? Yes, Joseph put it in his newspaper but one must wonder if he ever thought people 200 years later would be so intrigued with it? He either was in the sack with the devil or a prophet of God...no in between. :roll:

It goes without saying many a former Mormon really enjoys the topic of the Book of Abraham. Most Mormons either don't know it's being talked about, or think the level of interest from the ex's demonstrates it's endorsement from God. Many of the other Mormons who seem to be at least somewhat aware of the criticisms also seem to be content that God knows what he's doing while continuing to ignore the text and the pictures in their daily religious moves. I can't believe how much time I've spent over the years trying to care about the topic.

I hope the episode goes well. As much as we like all the other ex-Mormon content sharers, Dehlin ranks the highest. Putting yourself on that show speaks the loudest. It'll likely be one of those times where i bite the bullet and give it a listen.

ETA: My goodness I see I already saw this yesterday and made a smarmy joke of sorts. Ah well...must be getting old.
I can promise one and all, barring any unforseen circumstances, I will not disappoint you at all. I have a visual context that is 2nd to NONE. It seriously has shown me the context, the connections, the reasons Joseph did and said what he did, and WHY he is just wrong. No one I am aware of anywhere in the world, in print, or online or the You Tube has put together then entire visual context of all the manuscripts (4 folios - think of them like computer files) which logically connects fundamentally everything in one grand package of understanding including the hieroglyphics and WHY and HOW Joseph Smith translated. We have the method! Sincerely he left the evidence of WHAT he was doing and HOW he was doing it, and we even have the actual hieroglyphs and WHERE they are IN the Book of Abraham both in the translation document and in the English book of Abraham. It all fits. I am excited to share this clarifying information. Sure a bit complex, but not confusing. Just complexity, e.g. we have to work with 4 folios, not just 2 of them, but this isn't a cause of confusion as apologists have been doing and saying. I look forward to seeing you there amigo.