Midgley and the evolution of stories

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Midgley and the evolution of stories

Post by Marcus »

171 people spent two weeks on a ship with Book of Mormon Central. There were 171 Latter-day Saints on on that wonderful trip. The one time I got off the ship was to visit the Tulum Mayan ruins perched on beachside cliffs, in Mexico. And I took a fall and smashed my face.

Actually, I was pushed from behind.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed that trip,

http://disq.us/p/2omdlnh
I’m pretty sure Midgley has mentioned falling on this trip before, but this is the first time he added a… motive. :roll:

I’m thinking Midgley is doing his usual thing, exaggerating a story each time he tells it, but, suppose he is not. What kind of Latter-day Saint would push an old man from behind after spending 2 weeks with him on a ship? Midgley’s in a corner on this one, because it conflicts with his frequently expressed hard line between LDS (good) and the entire rest of the world (bad).
drumdude
God

Re: Midgley and the evolution of stories

Post by drumdude »

I found this recent remark by him also interesting:
At I have more than hinted, least one Latter-day Saint tour group peddles rubbish about Israel and makes innocent older people with some funds for travel as they reach retirement age hear things that are often bunk. Just telling the truth is all that is needed. Put more bluntly, there simply is no cave of Lehi in Israel.
One man’s rubbish peddler is another man’s Mormon apologist :lol:
Marcus
God

Re: Fall story year ago Re: Midgley and the evolution of stories

Post by Marcus »

Yes. Cruise Lady put out a tour of “Book of Mormon lands” to S America, how is that different from the other rubbish? :D

Midgley’s previous version of his story:
Louis Midgley
a year ago
Dan, and a host of others, know that I took a bad fall while trying to visit the 13th-century, walled Mayan archaeological site at Tulum in Mexico. I was with a group of over seventy other faithful Latter-day Saint who either work for or support Book of Mormon Central. Medics immediately arrived to try and patched me up. And there was also an MD with us on that ocean tour, who made his first ever "house call." My face was a bloody mess or two weeks.
At my age, I now think my urge to travel has now come to an end.

http://disq.us/p/2hm5g27
So, the “over 70 faithful lds” has become a boat of 171 with exactly “171 lds,” and the “bad fall” has become “pushed from behind.” :lol: He is a storyteller extraordinaire.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:58 pm
I found this recent remark by him also interesting:
At I have more than hinted, least one Latter-day Saint tour group peddles rubbish about Israel and makes innocent older people with some funds for travel as they reach retirement age hear things that are often bunk. Just telling the truth is all that is needed. Put more bluntly, there simply is no cave of Lehi in Israel.
One man’s rubbish peddler is another man’s Mormon apologist :lol:
I wonder if Midgley will man up and explain how the Book of Abraham translation and explanations of ALL 3 facsimiles is also pure rubbish... As there is no Cave of Lehi in Israel, nor is there any sacrifice of Abraham in Joseph Smith's Egyptian papyri or facsimiles, let alone woman discovering Egypt while under water or astronomy of Kolob and Oliblish and Jahoheh. Enish-go-on-dosh is utter pap and trash as well including the so-called "Egyptian" names of Shulem and Olimlah. Will Midgley pony up or not?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Using the Joseph Smith approach: "You see that darker indentation in the rocks over yonder? That there was the cave of Lehi which was visited by the dastard tax collector, Laban the untrustworthy. That cave had been occupied in earlier times by Abraham on his astronomy tour, as well as, Enkidu the wildman. You've seen it right here from the prophetic Mormons in Israel Tour Group. Tell your believing friends at the Provo and Orem senior centers."

-------------
That said, I am glad that Professor Midgley was able to save face after that unfortunate accident.
Lane Wolfley wrote:I've learned after a lifetime of devoted service, that when people have lots of extra un-accounted-for cash, there are only two possible explanations. So, you're either a meth dealer or a male prostitute, or perhaps both. It seems so obvious now...I'm now kicking back and enjoying that smug emotion that accompanies certainty!
Is Lane insinuating that BYU apologetics is a form of male prostitution?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Marcus wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:22 pm
171 people spent two weeks on a ship with Book of Mormon Central. There were 171 Latter-day Saints on on that wonderful trip. The one time I got off the ship was to visit the Tulum Mayan ruins perched on beachside cliffs, in Mexico. And I took a fall and smashed my face.

Actually, I was pushed from behind.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed that trip,

http://disq.us/p/2omdlnh
I’m pretty sure Midgley has mentioned falling on this trip before, but this is the first time he added a… motive. :roll:

I’m thinking Midgley is doing his usual thing, exaggerating a story each time he tells it, but, suppose he is not. What kind of Latter-day Saint would push an old man from behind after spending 2 weeks with him on a ship? Midgley’s in a corner on this one, because it conflicts with his frequently expressed hard line between LDS (good) and the entire rest of the world (bad).
Next thing will be adding his suspicion that Everybody Wang Chung was on the ship :lol:
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

malkie wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:20 pm
Marcus wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:22 pm

Next thing will be adding his suspicion that Everybody Wang Chung was on the ship :lol:
I certainly don't condone pushing an angry, old, homophobic, creepy stalker like Midgley. But, after spending two weeks on the ship with Midgley I can imagine that most people wanted to push him, the Captain included.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:28 pm
malkie wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:20 pm

I certainly don't condone pushing an angry, old, homophobic, creepy stalker like Midgley. But, after spending two weeks on the ship with Midgley I can imagine that most people wanted to push him, the Captain included.
Of course, I wasn't suggesting that you would push him - only that you might be unjustly accused of doing so.

by the way, how do you think a cruise with Midgley would compare with a cruise with Peterson?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

malkie wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:02 pm

by the way, how do you think a cruise with Midgley would compare with a cruise with Peterson?
They would both suck.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:17 am
malkie wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:02 pm

They would both suck.

Actually it would be delightful! You could point to reality and the Mayan archaeology and timescales and thwart their every testimony building effort of faith with actual facts of the real world like Jenkins did with Hamblin. Not that I think it would sober them up at all, they would then scream behind your back what an evil menace you are to their version of reality just like they now do to the Cave of Lehi in Israel. Amazing they don't see the handwriting on the wall, every single Mesoamerican "parallel" they have ever produced along with Sorenson is of the caliber and quality and verifiability of the Lehi Cave in Israel! :lol: