New Book of Abraham illustrations

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Jason Abbott
Nursery

Re: New Book of Abraham illustrations

Post by Jason Abbott »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:51 am
will be a great resource for many of us
That's great. I hope you're right. I was edified to work through it.
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:22 am
Welcome to the board, lookin forward to more discussion...
Thanks. I'll check out your live sessions!
A meant-to-be-member-friendly essay: Authenticating the Book of Abraham (updated May 18, 2022)
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Jason Abbott wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:32 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:51 am
will be a great resource for many of us
That's great. I hope you're right. I was edified to work through it.
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:22 am
Welcome to the board, lookin forward to more discussion...
Thanks. I'll check out your live sessions!
You can go to Mormon Discussion Inc in the middle is the "Playlists" click on that then "Backyard Professor" and it will give you the videos.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Jason Abbott wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 8:29 pm
I think I can address a couple of comments by saying I meant to write in terms that were friendly to Church members ("authenticating", "prophet", etc.) for as far as possible through the essay.
A friendly approach to give members a heads up about the Book of Abraham is always a good thing, much better than being further hoodwinked by apologists. Like telling members that Joseph practiced polygamy with a spiritual codpiece; it might sound good in Provo, but can it be proven?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Jason Abbott wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:18 pm
I decided to beat a dead horse (apparently) and put together an essay on the Book of Abraham.

https://jason-abbott.medium.com/authent ... 41d5cf14e8

I don't think the arguments will be new to anyone here but I'm happy to share high resolution copies of any illustrations. I made quite a few. The originals are in Photoshop or Affinity Designer format. Or I can just export any common image format preferred.

Peace.

Jason Abbott

Nice work Jason.

Just curious, what prompted you to delve into this issue?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Jason Abbott
Nursery

Post by Jason Abbott »

K Graham wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 1:10 pm
Hi K Graham. Thanks for the comment. I have an Author's Note to mostly answer your question (quite understandable if you didn't scroll that far :D ).

I can add a bit to that. I've never been LDS but grew up a devout Christian with a passion for study and writing. Years of loving and engaging in apologetics had the ironic (some here would say expected) effect of slowly convincing me that none of it was true. What seemed like palatial arguments were always, after enough footnotes were followed, revealed as no more than well-marketed houses of cards.

The experience also taught me that, although apologetics can be fun and gratifying ("I'm right!"), empathy is the real persuader, the real path to truth. So when I encountered the Book of Abraham with the friend I mention in the author's note, I was curious to learn it by writing as if I was talking to my friend from that place of empathy.

Maybe TMI there. :)
A meant-to-be-member-friendly essay: Authenticating the Book of Abraham (updated May 18, 2022)
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Jason Abbott wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 7:12 pm
K Graham wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 1:10 pm
Hi K Graham. Thanks for the comment. I have an Author's Note to mostly answer your question (quite understandable if you didn't scroll that far :D ).

I can add a bit to that. I've never been LDS but grew up a devout Christian with a passion for study and writing. Years of loving and engaging in apologetics had the ironic (some here would say expected) effect of slowly convincing me that none of it was true. What seemed like palatial arguments were always, after enough footnotes were followed, revealed as no more than well-marketed houses of cards.

The experience also taught me that, although apologetics can be fun and gratifying ("I'm right!"), empathy is the real persuader, the real path to truth. So when I encountered the Book of Abraham with the friend I mention in the author's note, I was curious to learn it by writing as if I was talking to my friend from that place of empathy.

Maybe TMI there. :)
While empathy has its place I think a good thrashing from the likes of Christopher Hitchens has merit in the market place of ideas.
Jason Abbott
Nursery

Post by Jason Abbott »

Rivendale wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 7:56 pm
While empathy has its place I think a good thrashing from the likes of Christopher Hitchens has merit in the market place of ideas.
I think you're right. Forceful arguments can be the right thing for someone already on the fence about their beliefs. And they're good fodder for apologist-to-apologist conversations where the point is less persuasion than battle testing ideas.

Most others experience force as hostility which leaves their biases in full effect, so even a perfectly reasoned argument will seem to them like rude nonsense. You can get the argument down to pure propositional logic and they'll still deny it.

If you've made ooblek with corn starch, you've seen a nice illustration of this. It's solid if you hit it with a fist. But if you gently press into it, it's a liquid.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

That Oooblek looks FUN!!! I am sooooooo going to do that.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Jason Abbott wrote:
I decided to beat a dead horse (apparently) and put together an essay on the Book of Abraham.

BUMP!

I just want to say that Jason's presentation and graphics seem stellar and a worthy reference. I've not read it all or covered all the content but it's bookmarked.

:!:
Jason Abbott
Nursery

Post by Jason Abbott »

Shulem wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:14 pm
Jason Abbott wrote:
BUMP!

I just want to say that Jason's presentation and graphics seem stellar and a worthy reference. I've not read it all or covered all the content but it's bookmarked.
:!:
Thanks Shulem! I've appreciated and been impressed to see all the additional details in your research.