New Book of Abraham illustrations

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: New Book of Abraham illustrations

Post by Shulem »

Jason Abbott wrote:The non-Genesis portions describe Abraham’s travels in Egypt and explain astronomical and heavenly matters. Joseph Smith, first president and prophet of the Church, described it this way:

The most important aspect of the Book of Abraham is that it describes HOW and WHEN the nation state was founded by so called Egyptus. It follows the Jewish chronology and takes no consideration for the prehistoric and predynastic eras which occurred PRIOR to the Unification of Upper and Lower Egypt by Narmer/Menes in which the First Dynasty was founded.

The story of Egypt's making in chapter one of Joseph Smith's Book of Abraham is a farce!
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Jason Abbott wrote:Some Church scriptures, like those in Doctrine and Covenants, came to Joseph Smith directly “by the inspiration of God” (JSP, “Revelation Book 1”). There was no ancient text involved. They were not translations.

Have you forgotten about D&C 7? The parchment of John would NOT have been written in English and required translation through the Urim and Thummim.

SECTION 7 wrote:Revelation given to Joseph Smith the Prophet and Oliver Cowdery, at Harmony, Pennsylvania, April 1829, when they inquired through the Urim and Thummim as to whether John, the beloved disciple, tarried in the flesh or had died. The revelation is a translated version of the record made on parchment by John and hidden up by himself.

Thus, the statement "There was no ancient text involved. They were not translations" is false and does not universally describe the D&C.
Jason Abbott
Nursery

Post by Jason Abbott »

Shulem wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 8:37 pm
The story of Egypt's making in chapter one of Joseph Smith's Book of Abraham is a farce!
To be concise (ha), I didn't address the book's content at all. Now that I see your work, so thorough and well-illustrated, I'm glad I didn't. There's nothing I can add to that.
A meant-to-be-member-friendly essay: Authenticating the Book of Abraham (updated May 18, 2022)
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Jason Abbott wrote:For more than a hundred years, none of the ancient records Joseph Smith translated were thought to still exist.

That's not entirely true. Have you forgotten about the papyrus fragments discovered in the Church vault in 1935 that contain characters from Facsimile No. 2, Fig. 12? These characters are drawn on the paper backing (see bottom of this photo) in which the fragments are glued. But the Church hid them up. Kept it a secret!

Scraps of the Book of the Dead for TaSheritMin

Jason Abbott
Nursery

Post by Jason Abbott »

Shulem wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:02 pm
Have you forgotten about D&C 7?
I've never been a Church member so admit to knowing nothing. :) I only learned about the Book of Abraham stuff a couple months ago. So I'm grateful for your corrections. I have updated the wording to reflect the distinction you shared.

After I've accumulated your corrections (maybe that's all), I'll credit and link to you at the end (unless you'd prefer I didn't).
A meant-to-be-member-friendly essay: Authenticating the Book of Abraham (updated May 18, 2022)
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Jason Abbott wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:38 pm
Shulem wrote:
Have you forgotten about D&C 7?
I've never been a Church member so admit to knowing nothing. :) I only learned about the Book of Abraham stuff a couple months ago. So I'm grateful for your corrections. I have updated the wording to reflect the distinction you shared.

After I've accumulated your corrections (maybe that's all), I'll credit and link to you at the end (unless you'd prefer I didn't).

Glad to help out. Maybe I should take it easy and slow down. It's just I have an eye for false stuff when it comes to the Book of Abraham. I'm well trained in these matters. I'm sure you can understand.

Doctor Scratch on this board believes I am the greatest Book of Abraham critic to have ever lived and I agree with him.

;)
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Shulem wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:43 pm
Jason Abbott wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:38 pm

Glad to help out. Maybe I should take it easy and slow down. It's just I have an eye for false stuff when it comes to the Book of Abraham. I'm well trained in these matters. I'm sure you can understand.

Doctor Scratch on this board believes I am the greatest Book of Abraham critic to have ever lived and I agree with him.

;)
I think this board has the largest collection of Book of Abraham scholars anywhere. In terms of hours spent and understanding.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Have you forgotten about D&C 7? The parchment of John would NOT have been written in English and required translation through the Urim and Thummim.
SECTION 7 wrote:Revelation given to Joseph Smith the Prophet and Oliver Cowdery, at Harmony, Pennsylvania, April 1829, when they inquired through the Urim and Thummim as to whether John, the beloved disciple, tarried in the flesh or had died. The revelation is a translated version of the record made on parchment by John and hidden up by himself.
Calling the seer stone the "Urim and Thummin" seems wrong.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jason Abbott wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:18 pm
I decided to beat a dead horse (apparently) and put together an essay on the Book of Abraham.

https://medium.com/@jason-abbott/authen ... 41d5cf14e8

I don't think the arguments will be new to anyone here but I'm happy to share high resolution copies of any illustrations. I made quite a few. The originals are in Photoshop or Affinity Designer format. Or I can just export any common image format preferred.

Peace.

Jason Abbott
What a great job. This was an excellent read, and will be a great resource for many of us when a TBM family member wants to talk about the Book of Abraham. Basically, it reads and feels like a polite version of the CES Letter, but for the Book of Abraham. This is a positive since it’s tightly written, and the visuals are good aids in order to bring the reader along with regard to understanding what’s frankly a fairly unfamiliar part of the Mormon canon.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I am going to read your website tonight Jason Abbott. THANK YOU for the heads up man! Welcome to the board, lookin forward to more discussion...

EDIT: (ADD ON actually)
OK, I read your article. I am seriously impressed! VERY well done and I will recognize it and mention you in my upcoming live session with Mormon Stories. You have a very easy way and have done very good showing the clarity when looking at the evidence, something I finally decided several months ago to start doing something about as well! I have about 12 live sessions so far available on just this topic, I have called "Getting Clear on the Joseph Smith Papyri". I congratulate you on seeing the forest from the trees! Nicely done, BRAVO!!! Welcome to the board! I foresee a lot of really cool discussions here with your contributions amigo!