New Book of Abraham illustrations

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Jason Abbott
Nursery

New Book of Abraham illustrations

Post by Jason Abbott »

I decided to beat a dead horse (apparently) and put together an essay on the Book of Abraham.

https://jason-abbott.medium.com/authent ... 41d5cf14e8

I don't think the arguments will be new to anyone here but I'm happy to share high resolution copies of any illustrations. I made quite a few. The originals are in Photoshop or Affinity Designer format. Or I can just export any common image format preferred.

Peace.

Jason Abbott
Last edited by Jason Abbott on Wed May 04, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A meant-to-be-member-friendly essay: Authenticating the Book of Abraham (updated May 18, 2022)
canpakes
God

Re: New Book of Abraham illustrations

Post by canpakes »

Welcome, Jason. This is quite extensive.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Jason Abbott wrote:Authenticating the Book of Abraham

It is not possible to authenticate the Book of Abraham. Nor can the Facsimile restorations and Facsimile explanations be authenticated.

Jason Abbott wrote:Images of ancient texts available directly from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints compared to their scriptural translations

The official spelling of the Church's name requires a capital "T" in the word "The". You need to correct that.
Jason Abbott
Nursery

Post by Jason Abbott »

Thanks for the welcome. I was going for short. I didn't do a good job of that. :)
A meant-to-be-member-friendly essay: Authenticating the Book of Abraham (updated May 18, 2022)
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Jason Abbott wrote:ImageBook of Abraham facsimile 1 papyrus said to depict Abraham on an altar (colorized)

No! The papyrus says no such thing. Joseph Smith *said* the papyrus depicts Abraham on an altar.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Welcome. It looks like you put a great deal of time and thought into your presentation. I'm by no means any kind of Book of Abraham expert, but we have some folks who have looked at the Book of Abraham extensively and who I'm sure will chime in.

In the meantime, I'm curious as to why do all that work and reach the conclusion that you do? It makes the analysis sound irrelevant to the conclusion.

Ah, I see Shulem has arrived. ;)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Jason Abbott wrote:All images and quotes are from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. No other sources are used.

Much of what was said and written about the Book of Abraham came from members of "The Church of the Latter Day Saints" which name was later changed in 1838. The modern Church today has no relation or bearing whatsoever with what members of the original Church said. They inherited their work and own the papers. The modern Church today cannot speak for Joseph Smith or the records for what is said. All they can do is observe and offer their opinions.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Jason Abbott wrote:What is the Book of Abraham?

The Book of Abraham is part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints official scriptures contained within the Pearl of Great Price.

It's more than just that. It was a *publication* given in three different installments in the Times and Seasons as a revelation given publicly to the entire WORLD. Later, in 1880, the Church took additional steps to canonize the work but kept the documents associated with its creation a secret, locked up in the First Presidency vault. There would be no study or declarations about how the Book of Abraham was formulated or translated.
Jason Abbott
Nursery

Post by Jason Abbott »

I think I can address a couple comments by saying I meant to write in terms that were friendly to Church members ("authenticating", "prophet", etc.) for as far as possible through the essay. I tried to hold that perspective until the evidence made it impossible.

Thank you Shulem for pointing out the capitalization mistake.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Jason Abbott wrote:It is divided into five chapters. The first half, verses 1:1–2:18, was originally published in the Church newspaper, Times and Seasons, on March 1, 1842. The second half was published shortly after, on March 15 (R4:303–327).

Most of the second half repeats passages in the book of Genesis with small changes. The end of chapter two (2:19–25) is a copy of Genesis 12:7–13. Chapters four and five are copies of Genesis chapters one and two.

• The first installment consisted of chapter text and Facsimile No. 1
  • The second installment consisted of chapter text and Facsimile No. 2
  • The third installment consisted of Facsimile No. 3.

*THAT* was the Book of Abraham.