President Nelson announces a Temple in Russia…update

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Re: President Nelson announces a Temple in Russia…update

Post by IHAQ »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:10 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:54 am
April 2018
posting.php?mode=post&f=4

May 2022 - So how is it progressing?

Why wasn’t President Nelson inspired to delay the announcement until after the war with Ukraine?
IHAQ,
I guess I have a touch of curiosity. Why would you expect President Nelson to get this particular inspiration? (question exists assuming the proposal that he is a prophet of God who receives inspiration.)

My memory of Mormon ideas includes the idea that we all use our brains to make decisions and that has limitations even though we all may receive inspiration. Mistakes happen.
Can you remember an occasion where the Church admitted the President had made a mistake whilst that President was still alive?

Interestingly, Uchtdorf blames the Russian members for the lack of progress…
Indeed, a few weeks after Nelson’s startling announcement, apostle Dieter F. Uchtdorf flew to Russia to tamp down expectations and to deal with the Russian bureaucracy.

The temple announcement “is a historic one, and it’s a beautiful one,” Uchtdorf told Russian journalist and scholar Sergey Georgievich Antonenko, according to a church news release. “Up until now, if [members] wanted to go to the temple, they had to travel outside of Russia.”

Uchtdorf added: “We’re very grateful for Russia to be a country where religious freedom is established.”

The popular apostle assured the writer that Latter-day Saints are “law-abiding, wonderful citizens” who love the tradition and history of their country.

In talking about eventually erecting a temple in Russia, the charismatic German was upbeat. When the Latter-day Saints are ready, he said, “the temple will be ready.
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/09 ... le-russia/
Equality
CTR B

Post by Equality »

drumdude wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:12 pm
The only example of prophesy the church has held up for us to examine is that Rusty preemptively cancelled a few of his personal business trips a month before Covid hit.
What's so funny about that particular bit of "inspiration" is that the Brethren canceled all travel for church employees worldwide over New Year's 2000 because of fears about the "Y2K" bug. Weird how everyone forgets about that...
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:50 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:10 pm

IHAQ,
I guess I have a touch of curiosity. Why would you expect President Nelson to get this particular inspiration? (question exists assuming the proposal that he is a prophet of God who receives inspiration.)

My memory of Mormon ideas includes the idea that we all use our brains to make decisions and that has limitations even though we all may receive inspiration. Mistakes happen.
Can you remember an occasion where the Church admitted the President had made a mistake whilst that President was still alive?

Interestingly, Uchtdorf blames the Russian members for the lack of progress…

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/09 ... le-russia/
IHAQ, That Trib article is interesting. I was not aware that Russian religious control had gotten that extreme. approach Stalin. In that context a temple announcement appears long on wishful thinking for someday.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Equality wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 3:22 pm
drumdude wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:12 pm
The only example of prophesy the church has held up for us to examine is that Rusty preemptively cancelled a few of his personal business trips a month before Covid hit.
What's so funny about that particular bit of "inspiration" is that the Brethren canceled all travel for church employees worldwide over New Year's 2000 because of fears about the "Y2K" bug. Weird how everyone forgets about that...
I didn't even know this! Way before my time, I'm afraid.
Equality
CTR B

Post by Equality »

drumdude wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:45 pm
Equality wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 3:22 pm

I didn't even know this! Way before my time, I'm afraid.
I don't know how widely it was known. I was in law school at the time and two of my law professors independently offered up to our class that they had received instructions not to fly over New Year's because of concerns about the Y2K bug. One of those professors is now the President of BYU.