Kerry Muhlestein's Brand New Article TODAY and My Take on it

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
User avatar
Shulem
God
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:40 am
Location: Facsimile No. 3

Re: Kerry Muhlestein's Brand New Article TODAY and My Take on it

Post by Shulem »

Marcus wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:01 am
Uncovering archeological evidence for the Book of Abraham is exhilarating. The confirmations are incontrovertible and positively verified by the evidence….
I assume he says that with a straight face, so what audience is he talking to? Are there really still people so gullible or isolated or uneducated that they take statements like this at face value?

I added an edit in the above post "Note -- This is just a spoof:" to allow readers to know it was not an actual quote from Muhlestein. I'm afraid my post was too literal looking and I should have done that in order that readers would be apprised of my intentions.
consiglieri
Area Authority
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:48 am

Re: Kerry Muhlestein's Brand New Article TODAY and My Take on it

Post by consiglieri »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:24 am
Shulem wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:09 am



Well, actually, that was my fake piece I added to mock him. I guess it seems pretty genuine.

;)
Well, he did say he found over 1,000,000 mummies... I mean, after all, that means a whole lot more hypocephali and greater chances to confirm Joseph Smith's interpretations. :roll:
The Million Mummy March?
Philo Sofee
God
Posts: 3007
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:18 am

Re: Kerry Muhlestein's Brand New Article TODAY and My Take on it

Post by Philo Sofee »

consiglieri wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:38 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:24 am


Well, he did say he found over 1,000,000 mummies... I mean, after all, that means a whole lot more hypocephali and greater chances to confirm Joseph Smith's interpretations. :roll:
The Million Mummy March?
:lol:
hauslern
Valiant A
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:36 am

Re: Kerry Muhlestein's Brand New Article TODAY and My Take on it

Post by hauslern »

Interesting apologetic article by Kerry Muhlestein
https://rsc.byu.edu/no-weapon-shall-pro ... ok-abraham

Testimony Testimony trumps all
Philo Sofee
God
Posts: 3007
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:18 am

Re: Kerry Muhlestein's Brand New Article TODAY and My Take on it

Post by Philo Sofee »

hauslern wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:11 am
Interesting apologetic article by Kerry Muhlestein
https://rsc.byu.edu/no-weapon-shall-pro ... ok-abraham

Testimony Testimony trumps all
Philo says
This sounds very similar to his digest version in "LDS Living Magazine" I reviewed, or at least noticed last week. His start here pretty much sums it all up,
we must realize that except for Joseph Smith, none of those who claimed to be interpreting Egyptian artifacts during that time were even close to correct in their conclusions.
Since Joseph Smith literally got nothing correct in any of the 3 facsimiles we can see we still have our work cut out for us. I shall mention this tonight on my Mormon Stories Live with John Dehlin and Gerardo as evidence the apologists are continuing to muddy up the waters and find the tooth fairy where she actually isn't.
User avatar
Shulem
God
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:40 am
Location: Facsimile No. 3

Re: Kerry Muhlestein's Brand New Article TODAY and My Take on it

Post by Shulem »

Kerry Muhlestein wrote:Many critics have claimed that Joseph Smith’s translation of Egyptian papyri and his interpretation of Egyptian drawings do not match with what Egyptologists would say about these things.

Many critics? Many?
For crying out loud, Kerry Muhlestein! Give me a break. Change that word from many to ALL!

The first word out of his mouth is nothing more than a trick to lesson the impact. That's apologetics. And it's completely inaccurate and false.

So says, Shulem.
Philo Sofee
God
Posts: 3007
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:18 am

Re: Kerry Muhlestein's Brand New Article TODAY and My Take on it

Post by Philo Sofee »

Shulem wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:24 pm
Kerry Muhlestein wrote:Many critics have claimed that Joseph Smith’s translation of Egyptian papyri and his interpretation of Egyptian drawings do not match with what Egyptologists would say about these things.

Many critics? Many?
For crying out loud, Kerry Muhlestein! Give me a break. Change that word from many to ALL!

The first word out of his mouth is nothing more than a trick to lesson the impact. That's apologetics. And it's completely inaccurate and false.

So says, Shulem.
:lol:
And, he still exempts Joseph Smith from being in the camp of being wrong. :roll:
User avatar
Shulem
God
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:40 am
Location: Facsimile No. 3

Re: Kerry Muhlestein's Brand New Article TODAY and My Take on it

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:22 pm
Since Joseph Smith literally got nothing correct in any of the 3 facsimiles we can see we still have our work cut out for us. I shall mention this tonight on my Mormon Stories Live with John Dehlin and Gerardo as evidence the apologists are continuing to muddy up the waters and find the tooth fairy where she actually isn't.

Be careful about using absolutes.

Remember, they can still throw the Four Sons of Horus at you with regard to cardinal directions and thus lesson the overall impact of your argument by showing how you made a small or technical error and thus they throw your whole argument out. Always use the absolutes in a very careful way and be conservative about it. I think RFM has mastered that as he mentioned in his last critcal thinking podcast. So have I. When using the absolutes correctly you really strengthen your argument in a powerful way. Smith got absolutely nothing right about Facsimile No. 3. All of his Explanations are false. See how that works?

Just saying. Anyway, you've been reading my materials and will become a Book of Abraham master critic before too long! Good job.

;)
Philo Sofee
God
Posts: 3007
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:18 am

Re: Kerry Muhlestein's Brand New Article TODAY and My Take on it

Post by Philo Sofee »

Shulem wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:34 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:22 pm
Since Joseph Smith literally got nothing correct in any of the 3 facsimiles we can see we still have our work cut out for us. I shall mention this tonight on my Mormon Stories Live with John Dehlin and Gerardo as evidence the apologists are continuing to muddy up the waters and find the tooth fairy where she actually isn't.

Be careful about using absolutes.

Remember, they can still throw the Four Sons of Horus at you with regard to cardinal directions and thus lesson the overall impact of your argument by showing how you made a small or technical error and thus they throw your whole argument out. Always use the absolutes in a very careful way and be conservative about it. I think RFM has mastered that as he mentioned in his last critcal thinking podcast. So have I. When using the absolutes correctly you really strengthen your argument in a powerful way. Smith got absolutely nothing right about Facsimile No. 3. All of his Explanations are false. See how that works?

Just saying. Anyway, you've been reading my materials and will become a Book of Abraham master critic before too long! Good job.

;)
Yes, I can correct my absolute by saying since Joseph Smith got well over 95% of his interpretations incorrect, would that make him at least a 95% false prophet? I suspect so. And that's just not good enough for me considering the claims being made about him.
User avatar
Shulem
God
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:40 am
Location: Facsimile No. 3

Re: Kerry Muhlestein's Brand New Article TODAY and My Take on it

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:42 pm
Yes, I can correct my absolute by saying since Joseph Smith got well over 95% of his interpretations incorrect, would that make him at least a 95% false prophet? I suspect so. And that's just not good enough for me considering the claims being made about him.

:D

And, another way of looking at it would be that he was only 5% a prophet when it came to translating and interpreting Egyptian materials and that is being very generous. I would rate him at below 1%.

See how it works?

:lol:
Post Reply