DP claims you can’t criticize Mormonism without Mormon morality

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: DP claims you can’t criticize Mormonism without Mormon morality

Post by Gadianton »

drumdude wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 5:07 pm
He’s the only Mormon apologist that even attempts to engage with critics. The rest just bury their head in the sand.
That's a great point. I mean, if you have a question about the Church, or if you're angry about the Church, and you want escalate your Bishop will tell you to pound sand. It doesn't go past him. DCP is probably the most connected individual that a person can escalate a concern to directly. Now, the kind of response you can plan on getting...
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:38 am
Yep. I often see DCP defending a version of post-modernist relativism because of Mormonism’s schizophrenic mutually contradictory philosophical stances. He does this especially when talking about other religions, particularly Islam. Only when it comes to atheism does Dan throw away the postmodernist charity and decide that if there is any absolute truth in the world, it’s that atheists can’t be right.

He knows there’s a God, but I increasingly think that DCP has little conviction about what the hell that God is or what religion is true. He thinks Mormonism might be the best description of that God, but he knows deep down Mormonism is self contradictory and cannot be a complete picture of what’s actually going on.

He’s hoping that being a Mormon gets him a reward in the afterlife even if he’s wrong but I think he’s starting to have doubts about that. What kind of heaven is eating decadent meals with his wife and bumping into general authorities every night for eternity? Will everyone be doing this, and will that take away DCPs ability to brag about it? Might be his version of hell…
:lol:
I've thought rather often whenever I see that obviously posed and phony picture of all the big 15 in all their fancy white temple suits around a mahogany circular staircase all making sure the 1st Presidency is all grouped together and just a little more forward toward the camera to make sure that, yes, even though they are ONE, there is a hierarchy so you other 12 idjits stand back a little and don't block OUR light, WE really are the reason YOU are here, so stand down, that if that is what heaven is gonna be like, then, seriously, it just doesn't do a lot for me man... I mean please, they are so unimaginative that that is all they come up with?!
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 4:17 am
drumdude wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:38 am
Yep. I often see DCP defending a version of post-modernist relativism because of Mormonism’s schizophrenic mutually contradictory philosophical stances. He does this especially when talking about other religions, particularly Islam. Only when it comes to atheism does Dan throw away the postmodernist charity and decide that if there is any absolute truth in the world, it’s that atheists can’t be right.

He knows there’s a God, but I increasingly think that DCP has little conviction about what the hell that God is or what religion is true. He thinks Mormonism might be the best description of that God, but he knows deep down Mormonism is self contradictory and cannot be a complete picture of what’s actually going on.

He’s hoping that being a Mormon gets him a reward in the afterlife even if he’s wrong but I think he’s starting to have doubts about that. What kind of heaven is eating decadent meals with his wife and bumping into general authorities every night for eternity? Will everyone be doing this, and will that take away DCPs ability to brag about it? Might be his version of hell…
:lol:
I've thought rather often whenever I see that obviously posed and phony picture of all the big 15 in all their fancy white temple suits around a mahogany circular staircase all making sure the 1st Presidency is all grouped together and just a little more forward toward the camera to make sure that, yes, even though they are ONE, there is a hierarchy so you other 12 idjits stand back a little and don't block OUR light, WE really are the reason YOU are here, so stand down, that if that is what heaven is gonna be like, then, seriously, it just doesn't do a lot for me man... I mean please, they are so unimaginative that that is all they come up with?!
The 12 Apostles - another view:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X8an1N1tKgGe5ZNc6
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:33 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 5:07 pm
He’s the only Mormon apologist that even attempts to engage with critics. The rest just bury their head in the sand.
That's a great point. I mean, if you have a question about the Church, or if you're angry about the Church, and you want escalate your Bishop will tell you to pound sand. It doesn't go past him. DCP is probably the most connected individual that a person can escalate a concern to directly. Now, the kind of response you can plan on getting...

The response is the same thing on repeat. Every once and a while Dan has a new thought and it’s usually posted here for discussion. 9 times out of 10 it’s him putting his foot firmly in his mouth so we get a laugh out of it as well.