Missing Scroll Theory & Catalyst Theory in light of Mormonism Live

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Don Bradley
Star B

Re: Missing Scroll Theory & Catalyst Theory in light of Mormonism Live

Post by Don Bradley »

Marcus wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 5:59 am
Although seriously, finding imaginary patterns simply because you assumed the patterns were there beforehand sounds like a much bigger problem.
It depends on the context. A number of evolutionary psychologists think that our tendency to err on the side of finding patterns is baked into our cognition by natural selection. If so, this implies that it is this tendency that has been beneficial to our survival, as opposed to its opposite--how else could it have been selected for? So it may not actually be true that the tendency to err on the side of finding patterns is the more dangerous of the two.

What made Kish's observation so funny to me, and potentially profound, is precisely that warning against finding patterns where they are not is becoming so ubiquitous among our intelligentsia that the greater trend within a certain intellectual set (a set in which include myself and most on this board) may be to be skeptical of patterns even where they do exist.

In any case, the observation was delightfully unexpected.

Don
"People can find meaninglessness in just about anything if they convince themselves that there is no meaning in that thing." - The Rev. Dr. Lumen Kishkumen
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Marcus wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:38 pm
Human experience that is interpreted as interaction with other sentient entities may be pervasive, but there is also significant research and knowledge about how the brain works that explains these interpretations. There is no evidence that these experiences are explained by anything like sentient entities outside the brain. I grant it’s a belief, but the pervasiveness of brain activity only convinces me of the pervasiveness of brain activity. And of the incredible and amazingly wondrous expanse of the human imagination (a.k.a. brain activity).
Yes, I am aware of that. Have read some of these findings. Of course, to observe what is happening in the brain during an experience does not equal the brain being the definitive source of the experience itself….

I would disagree that the observation that the brain is the source of the experience is incomplete, in fact, the most recent research I’ve read points to exactly that. There simply is no reputable current research that concludes supernatural sentient entities exist.

I certainly agree people may believe they exist, which is certainly an acceptable belief to put forward, but there is simply no reliable, factual evidence that they do.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I’m loving tonight’s episode of Mormonism live. I can’t get enough of the email from Royal Skousen. It shows how far LDS apologists are willing to go to mold the Mormon Scriptures to fit their own modern scholarly interpretation.

I wish more Mormons in the pews knew how their scriptures are being tampered with by postmodern relativists like Dan Peterson. Is it any wonder that Mormons aren’t willing to follow Dan’s anti-Trump pro-vaccine “libtard” ideas either?

Despite decades of Dans efforts, the church members are not heading in the direction he wants…
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Marcus wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 5:16 pm
Maybe CruiseLady does a tour.
Dr. Peterson would make an excellent lecturer for Book of Mormon tours in Scotland. Give him a plate of haggis and a kilt... and he could do the cable toss just like the ancient Nephites.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Don Bradley
Star B

Post by Don Bradley »

drumdude wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:23 am
I’m loving tonight’s episode of Mormonism live. I can’t get enough of the email from Royal Skousen. It shows how far LDS apologists are willing to go to mold the Mormon Scriptures to fit their own modern scholarly interpretation.
daughter,

I didn't see the episode. What is the email?

Don
"People can find meaninglessness in just about anything if they convince themselves that there is no meaning in that thing." - The Rev. Dr. Lumen Kishkumen
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Don Bradley wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:00 am
drumdude wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:23 am
daughter,

I didn't see the episode. What is the email?

Don
https://youtu.be/axsGRq-bE14
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Marcus wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:08 am
I would disagree that the observation that the brain is the source of the experience is incomplete, in fact, the most recent research I’ve read points to exactly that. There simply is no reputable current research that concludes supernatural sentient entities exist.

I certainly agree people may believe they exist, which is certainly an acceptable belief to put forward, but there is simply no reliable, factual evidence that they do.
Yes, this is exactly the kind of circularity that results from the insistence that only material results count. Thank you for illustrating that point again. I don't know how to get past that block on either side. The current dominant conclusion is that whatever has insufficient material evidence backing it up does not exist. Hence your comments and beliefs.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 3:18 pm
Marcus wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:08 am

Yes, this is exactly the kind of circularity that results from the insistence that only material results count. Thank you for illustrating that point again. I don't know how to get past that block on either side. The current dominant conclusion is that whatever has insufficient material evidence backing it up does not exist. Hence your comments and beliefs.
Perhaps this should be instructive? Even so, possibilities are endless for just about anything and proof might be just around the corner, or not. We'll find out in at least 50 years or sooner for some of us. In the mean time, you do you like you told me to do.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 3:51 pm
In the mean time, you do you like you told me to do.
In case you haven't noticed, I live that advice. I'm just sharing it with you.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow