Don Bradley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Don Bradley

Post by Rivendale »

In reference to the RFM/Bill Reel podcast some might find this interesting on the heuristics of Don's transformation back to believer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvYNCxvyqxc
Fifth Columnist
Nursery

Re: Don Bradley

Post by Fifth Columnist »

Don also explained this in a long thread on Mormondiscussions.com back when it happened. Maybe someone more ambitious than me can search through the archives and find it.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I enjoyed Don Bradley mentioning the report compiled by BH Roberts. Elder Roberts initially requested to present it to the Brethren, but they voted not to hear his findings and to table the report indefinitely. He then compiled his own think tank of private LDS scholars, but they were unable to provide any answers to assuage the doubts uncovered by Roberts. It would take another 50 years for BYU to produce a group of men willing to fudge the truth and make up their own apologetics.

Anyway, there was an excellent series of Mormon Stories podcasts on this forgotten story. It was called, The Secret Mormon Meetings of 1922, based on the research of Shannon Montez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HivE1b5KLuc
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Rivendale wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:18 am
In reference to the RFM/Bill Reel podcast some might find this interesting on the heuristics of Don's transformation back to believer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvYNCxvyqxc
Thanks for sharing that. Although I have had a kind of front row seat to the entire process, I had not seen this version of the story. It was quite a walk down memory lane. I kept filling in the missing parts of the story that I knew about, wondering what he would include or not in this telling. This makes me curious to see all of his appearances on this show.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I do not know a lot about Don Bradley but found this interview interesting. I respect his curiosity and desire to pursue understanding. I agree with his proposal that thankfulness is important.(a cornerstone of my sometimes wobbly faith) He may well have a valuable point thinking that happiness wideness one field of vision mentally as well as visually.

I think he is correct to observe that more is going on with Joseph Smith than opportunistic con. He shows signs of genuine involvement in his project. I think Brodie makes a reasonable attempt to understand that but in detail that remains speculative with uncertainties. It is hard to reconstruct other peoples thought processes.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:45 pm
I do not know a lot about Don Bradley but found this interview interesting. I respect his curiosity and desire to pursue understanding. I agree with his proposal that thankfulness is important.(a cornerstone of my sometimes wobbly faith) He may well have a valuable point thinking that happiness wideness one field of vision mentally as well as visually.

I think he is correct to observe that more is going on with Joseph Smith than opportunistic con. He shows signs of genuine involvement in his project. I think Brodie makes a reasonable attempt to understand that but in detail that remains speculative with uncertainties. It is hard to reconstruct other peoples thought processes.
Yes! It is hard enough to know what is on the minds of people we live around and interact with daily. Reconstructing the thoughts of those who lived two centuries ago is really a challenge.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow