What Do People Here Believe?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: What Do People Here Believe?

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 2:54 pm
I just have to laugh at the 1980s idea that atheists are the “worst.” I know Mormonism still holds atheism next to Satan worship, but come on.

It’s the year 2022, being atheist is not at all stigmatized anymore outside of fundamentalist Christianity.
Unless you want to run for congress.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Rivendale wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:33 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 2:54 pm
I just have to laugh at the 1980s idea that atheists are the “worst.” I know Mormonism still holds atheism next to Satan worship, but come on.

It’s the year 2022, being atheist is not at all stigmatized anymore outside of fundamentalist Christianity.
Unless you want to run for congress.
That will be a watershed moment when it doesn’t matter politically anymore. It’s coming faster than we know.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jeff wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 5:05 pm
As members of …
Did you read all the posts prior to posting your testimony?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jeff wrote:
As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we are blessed to be led by living prophets- inspired men called to speak for the Lord just as Moses, Isaiah, Peter, Paul, Nephi, Mormon, and other prophets of the scriptures. Like the prophets of old, prophets today testify of Jesus Christ and teach his gospel. They make known God's will and true character. They speak boldly and clearly, denouncing sin and warning of its consequences.
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. What sayest thou?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Jeff wrote:
As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we are blessed to be led by living prophets- inspired men called to speak for the Lord just as Moses, Isaiah, Peter, Paul, Nephi, Mormon, and other prophets of the scriptures. Like the prophets of old, prophets today testify of Jesus Christ and teach his gospel. They make known God's will and true character. They speak boldly and clearly, denouncing sin and warning of its consequences. At times, they may be inspired to prophesy of future events for our benefit. You can always trust the living prophets. Their teachings reflect the will of the Lord, who declared, "what I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself, and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same."
That phrase is interesting, because many past prophets have been shown to say things that should not have been trusted as being correct. If Prophets can get things wrong, why should they be trusted automatically?
Last edited by IHAQ on Mon May 23, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

You go to war with the Prophet you have, not the Prophet you might want or wish you had at a later time.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

dot
Last edited by dantana on Tue May 24, 2022 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
High Spy
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

drumdude wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:47 pm
You go to war with the Prophet you have, not the Prophet you might want or wish you had at a later time.
Better still go to was when the Davidic Servant doth stand.
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Jeff wrote:
As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we are blessed to be led by living prophets- inspired men called to speak for the Lord just as Moses, Isaiah, Peter, Paul, Nephi, Mormon, and other prophets of the scriptures. Like the prophets of old, prophets today testify of Jesus Christ and teach his gospel. They make known God's will and true character. They speak boldly and clearly, denouncing sin and warning of its consequences. At times, they may be inspired to prophesy of future events for our benefit. You can always trust the living prophets. Their teachings reflect the will of the Lord, who declared, "what I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself, and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same."
Back in the old days, Jesus instructed his followers to spread the word throughout the world. Well, I'd say, mission accomplished. The world has heard the word. So, can that be enough now?
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Don Bradley
Star B

Post by Don Bradley »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:54 am

Ditto w/my mother and father. I was a BIC, TBM, RM, TM, but then apostatized @ 30 when I happened upon RFM and my shelf collapsed. I’m a soft atheist who inclines toward Buddhist philosophy and the simulation theory. But that could just be the drugs speaking, ;)

- Doc
Oh, wow, Doc - just reading this - I didn't know any of that about you! It's funny how little I know about some of the posters, I guess. I've practiced loving-kindness meditation for years and there may have been an entheogen or two somewhere back in my personal history that has had an effect on my outlook. Regarding the simulation theory, I can't say I embrace it, but as a transhumanist I've certainly engaged with it a good deal.

Don
"People can find meaninglessness in just about anything if they convince themselves that there is no meaning in that thing." - The Rev. Dr. Lumen Kishkumen