What Do People Here Believe?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: What Do People Here Believe?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Welcome back KevinSim. I’m BIC but parted ways with Mormonism at 19. Decades long transition from faithful Mormon to non-denominational Christian to agnostic to atheist - if I’m pressed to classify myself. Although, I have used Apatheist to label myself from time to time. I don’t label myself as spiritual, as the things that I hear people describe as spiritual seem to me to be just the part of the experience of being human. I’m not anti-religion, but I am anti some things that some religions do.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Binger wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:02 am

I am a fifth generation or something Mormon. My family joined the church in Switzerland, France, Scotland, Sweden and in Ohio and a few other states too. My people walked across the center of the country to Utah. They died. They had funny names. They developed lots of areas. My family donated the land for Utah State University and even recently did a land swap and took some land back from "the college."

I very much respect what my people did and what they did on the frontier and the adventures they had. I respect them a ton. The Weeping Woman, the famous weeping woman on the Utah State campus cemetery is my people. My dad is buried right behind her. We have some goddamn stories. We imported the red angus to Utah. We have done some crap. And we have done some crazy crap.

I am no longer a registered counted member of the Church - but I can still respect and own their gunslingin' and hardworkin' ways. I am not religious in the slightest, but my tolerance for your religion is wide, believe it or not. I may not go to church or believe that Jesus ever did a damn thing, but I respect my Mom's choice to kneel and pray and I would probably knock the everloving “F” out of anyone that said, to her face, the things that are said about people like her on this board.

I have my own angels. Funny, right? They are iron workers and cowboys. Gunslingers and welders. They are fishermen and builders. They drive old trucks, repair their own pipeliners and sling bandaliers. They ride horses and Harleys. I dispatch them at will and call on them. They are fixers and they are loyal. To me, that is what friends are about and that is what I would expect from an angel. I am committed, and have them tattooed from my wrist to my shoulder.

My Mum is in her 80s, she still goes to the Adelaide Australia temple regularly. She will for quite a bit longer. I would driver her there if I could. But I do not believe one damn thing about what she believes. And, that is okay. We roll like that, and share a non-alcoholic beer.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

K Graham wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:46 pm
Mormonism effectively killed my belief in God.
Mormonism did the same for me. Thank you, Mormonism. God is for me now in the same pile as the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus and the Great Pumpkin.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

sock puppet wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 1:21 pm
K Graham wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:46 pm
Mormonism effectively killed my belief in God.
Mormonism did the same for me. Thank you, Mormonism. God is for me now in the same pile as the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus and the Great Pumpkin.
While the same is true for me, it sparked a lifelong interest in studying religion itself. I still find religions endlessly fascinating, even if I think actually believing in them is incredibly misguided. The high demand religions like Mormonism are especially fun to study, as they involve a lot of the darker aspects of humanity - my favorite being the desire to be submissive to obvious frauds and charlatans in exchange for a promise of a reward in the afterlife. It's much easier to follow the herd than to think for yourself. Even easier to make money off the herd like Dan Patterson does.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Thanks for quoting Binger, dantana. If he confined himself to such material, I might take him off ignore, where he has been for a long time. That can wait. But just this once:
Binger wrote: I am no longer a registered counted member of the Church - but I can still respect and own their gunslingin' and hardworkin' ways. I am not religious in the slightest, but my tolerance for your religion is wide, believe it or not. I may not go to church or believe that Jesus ever did a damn thing, but I respect my Mom's choice to kneel and pray and I would probably knock the everloving “F” out of anyone that said, to her face, the things that are said about people like her on this board
Binger is free to enjoy his violence fantasy, which is all it is. However, I doubt whether he will ever face the challenge of having to cash it out.

Like pretty well all the atheists I know, I have not the slightest wish to go up to people and mock their religious belief. Why would one want to be so pointlessly unkind? It's not ordinary believers we are out to attack, but the doctrines of the religions in question. Oh yes, and the small number of apologists who make a bad use of their intellects by trying to find plausible but factually and logically flawed ways of trying to maintain the truth-claims of religions.
Binger wrote: I have my own angels. Funny, right? They are iron workers and cowboys. Gunslingers and welders. They are fishermen and builders. They drive old trucks, repair their own pipeliners and sling bandaliers. They ride horses and Harleys. I dispatch them at will and call on them. They are fixers and they are loyal. To me, that is what friends are about and that is what I would expect from an angel. I am committed, and have them tattooed from my wrist to my shoulder.
So: no hard-working nurses or midwives in overloaded and underfunded city hospitals? No doctors risking their lives to care for innocent civilians in war zones? No Moms and Dads working three menial jobs day after exhausting and degrading day to keep their kids fed, clothed and safe? All big muscled sweaty men who ride things that go BROOM BROOM very loudly (of course the horses make a different noise)?

I see.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Chap wrote:So: no hard-working nurses or midwives in overloaded and underfunded city hospitals? No doctors risking their lives to care for innocent civilians in war zones?
Unless they're driving their ambulances across the country honking their horns, blocking people's way, and yelling about conspiracies, what good are they?
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Chap wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:05 pm

So: no hard-working nurses or midwives in overloaded and underfunded city hospitals? No doctors risking their lives to care for innocent civilians in war zones? No Moms and Dads working three menial jobs day after exhausting and degrading day to keep their kids fed, clothed and safe? All big muscled sweaty men who ride things that go BROOM BROOM very loudly (of course the horses make a different noise)?

I see.
Typical, Chap. First, I have a limited amount of skin. Second, I am not obliged to champion every social justice cause. Third, I have 6 sons, including in-laws, and I am not afraid of men like you seem to be.

But mostly, and more importantly, your ignorance about The Weeping Woman, and her story, and her monument, and my skin, says a hell of a lot more about you than it does about me. You have not one damn clue what you are talking about, what you're suggesting, or what you are asking. As usual. Be sure and keep me on ignore.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:15 pm
Chap wrote:So: no hard-working nurses or midwives in overloaded and underfunded city hospitals? No doctors risking their lives to care for innocent civilians in war zones?
Unless they're driving their ambulances across the country honking their horns, blocking people's way, and yelling about conspiracies, what good are they?
Hello Res Ipsa, canpakes and Xeno. I hope you are all having a good weekend.

If you get a minute and want to share what you believe, that would be great.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

‘n if anyin’ tells mah mama ‘nything diff’rent Ah’d be fixin’ to give ‘em you knows whatfer right up side their purty lil lips!

* brought to you by the rootin’ tootin’ness internetter this side of the Mississippi!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:20 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:15 pm

Hello Res Ipsa, canpakes and Xeno. I hope you are all having a good weekend.

If you get a minute and want to share what you believe, that would be great.
viewtopic.php?p=2782420#p2782420
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.