What Do People Here Believe?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
High Priest

Re: What Do People Here Believe?

Post by sock puppet »

Apatheist here.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

I'm Catholic.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Scientologist.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Mother’s paternal side of the family joined the Church in June 1831. Father’s paternal side in late 1830s in England.

Mother’s side had some polygamy, so any Mormon-type event, forum, etc., and I’m almost guaranteed to find a 3rd cousin in the mix.

I can’t really point to a “I don’t believe any more” moment, or a thing that finally toppled my shelf. Nowadays I tend to find myself usually planted firmly in agnostic soils. Every once in a while, a wind will pick up and I’ll float amongst the clouds of a kind of pantheistic deism of sorts. I’m an Aries, and like burritos.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Agnostic wanderer here as well (I see you Steuss). Wife was BIC from two parents that joined in their college years and 1 has since left the church and 1 should have been excommunicated years ago... but patriarchy. I converted at 20 because I'd met the love of my life, and what else can you do. Raised Episcopalian but was earnestly barely a believer in the divinity of Christ but was a huge fan of high service which likely explains my love of the temple.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I grew up in the church. I had some periods of enthusiastic belief but belief came to an end during my 17th year. Was atheist in belief for a number of years but 17 is too young to make a decision not to be reviewed. I have not returned to LDS belief but in my thirties became a Christian believer. For a narrower box, neo-orthodox would work. I believe the Bible is inspired and used by the Holy Spirit as an ongoing guide. I believe the Bible is written by fallible men with limited knowledge and is not infallible, especially in terms of historical data.

////////a later addition,
Due to reactions I could add caution about my mention of the term neo orthodox. I meant it to refer to liberal Christian thinking that holds the basics of the creeds as still valuable.
Last edited by huckelberry on Sat May 14, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:11 pm
I grew up in the church. I had some periods of enthusiastic belief but belief came to an end during my 17th year. Was atheist in belief for a number of years but 17 is too young to make a decision not to be reviewed. I have not returned to LDS belief but in my thirties became a Christian believer. For a narrower box, neo-orthodox would work. I believe the Bible is inspired and used by the Holy Spirit as an ongoing guide. I believe the Bible is written by fallible men with limited knowledge and is not infallible, especially in terms of historical data.
Neo-orthodoxy.

I used to think such a thing was absurd, what in this day and age of, you know, of science n’ crap. I read a book a long time ago called The Mote in God’s Eye -> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mote_in_God%27s_Eye . Long story short, 31st century, space faring Catholics (the hardcore kind), aliens, lasers, and conflict. The Catholics won, but that wasn’t the absurd part. The idea that space-faring Catholics could even exist in the 31st century was incomprehensible to me.

Then 9/11 happened, and later when whatever the “F” happened with Trump and appointing three Catholics to the Supreme Court.

And, yet. Here we are. 2022. Neo-orthodoxy. Well, at least you’re in good company with millions embracing the same view of Real SinTM and Space Jesus who’ll extend His grace to the Motties (<- read the linked wiki article to get the sick reference).

Neo-orthodoxy.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doc, I think you have a different idea of neo orthodox than I do. It does not normally refer to catholics and it certainly does not refer to conservative evangelicals. I do not see millions jumping on board and I view Trump and Trumpers as the opposite of everything I hold dear. I detest the idea of Christian nationalism.

I think Trump moves close to being the man of sin. He does not tell the truth. There are very very few people who do not believe sin is real. I think people say they do not believe in sin because they are thinking of something relatively harmless somebody said was a sin.

Or perhaps some people prefer a different word for destructive actions.
I think it would be a poor choice to cheat on your spouse just because you do not believe in sin.

/////
I checked your link and was puzzled as to relevance. Well it sounds a bit like neo orthodox science fiction. OK.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

BIC. RM. I started divorce proceedings from the church in about '88. Pre-internet, so, not because I learned the dirt, but because I finally let my long held intuition have some rein. Intuition as to logic problems I see in Deity based existence theory. I lean an 'ism' that allows consciousness to be not entirely dependent on particles. Whatever that means.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

The five solas pretty much describes my beliefs. Was raised in the United Methodist Church. Unchurched for several years. The Lord left the 99 and came after me so to speak. Moved across town and joined a Southern Baptist Church. Was introduced to expository teaching by an interim pastor at the Baptist church and moved to the PCA church because, I/we longed for expository teaching after the interim pastor left. LDS missionaries came knocking and the Lord turned my world upside down, giving me a love for Latter-Day Saints. The two years passed and they left, that is when I started posting on an LDS-related discussion board, and 20+ years later, I am answering your question. ;)
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7