What Do People Here Believe?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: What Do People Here Believe?

Post by Chap »

Binger wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:18 pm
Chap wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:05 pm

So: no hard-working nurses or midwives in overloaded and underfunded city hospitals? No doctors risking their lives to care for innocent civilians in war zones? No Moms and Dads working three menial jobs day after exhausting and degrading day to keep their kids fed, clothed and safe? All big muscled sweaty men who ride things that go BROOM BROOM very loudly (of course the horses make a different noise)?

I see.
Typical, Chap. First, I have a limited amount of skin. Second, I am not obliged to champion every social justice cause. Third, I have 6 sons, including in-laws, and I am not afraid of men like you seem to be.

But mostly, and more importantly, your ignorance about The Weeping Woman, and her story, and her monument, and my skin, says a hell of a lot more about you than it does about me. You have not one damn clue what you are talking about, what you're suggesting, or what you are asking. As usual. Be sure and keep me on ignore.
Just for this thread, Binger is off ignore.

I am a man who has found his masculinity to be quite sufficient from the point of view of a reasonable number of very nice women. I can think of no better standard to be judged by in that regard. Men who are only really comfortable in the company of other men strike me as suffering from arrested development - stuck at some time in the earlier part of their teens, maybe.

Can someone kindly help me by explaining what that particular graveyard monument has to do with this thread, at least in Binger's eyes?

Oh, by the way: there are men who are nurses, midwives and doctors. And Dads too, of course.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:20 pm
Hello Res Ipsa, canpakes and Xeno. I hope you are all having a good weekend.

If you get a minute and want to share what you believe, that would be great.

You’ll find some of my own perspective in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155081&start=180

ETA: as our own family has an arts connection to LDS history, I am familiar with the Weeping Woman. It’s a beautiful sculpture with a poignant backstory.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

canpakes wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 6:48 pm
I am familiar with the Weeping Woman. It’s a beautiful sculpture with a poignant backstory.
Yup, I know what that statue is.

But how (at least in the eyes of someone like Binger) does it relate to this thread? I think he is the first to refer to it (or have I missed something?).

If we want a sad female figure, probably looking at a casualty list, I prefer this one (the goddess Athene) from c. 460 BC. No silly spooky stuff here; quiet and dignified mourning:

Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Chap wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:47 pm
canpakes wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 6:48 pm
I am familiar with the Weeping Woman. It’s a beautiful sculpture with a poignant backstory.
Yup, I know what that statue is.

But how (at least in the eyes of someone like Binger) does it relate to this thread? I think he is the first to refer to it (or have I missed something?).
This was adequately explained. The statue was commissioned by one of my Grandfathers. I was born with the name on that monument. My grandparents are a few steps behind the monument, and my dad a few steps behind and to the left. Many of the descendants of the woman represented by the monument and the few of her children that survived a plague are still in the church and many of us are well out.

The monument represents a lot, including the losses and sacrifices.

I respect our adventures. I respect the members of my family that got us here. I do not associate losing faith in the corporation or in a Jesus with losing an attachment to my homeland and heritage. I used to think I lost it all. But nah, we can honor what this frontier religion did. We can carry on with some of the great things that these people did, and not pay tithing. I have no obligation to believe the generalizations about Mormons and their ties to 4Chan if the Mormons don't do what someone on this board believes they should do. I am fine with my version of angels, my attachment to The Weeping Woman, and a colorful family history, some of which is complete BS.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

for what it's worth, I think the process of reclaiming parts of one's heritage formerly thrown out with the religion is an admirable endeavor.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 9:17 pm
for what it's worth, I think the process of reclaiming parts of one's heritage formerly thrown out with the religion is an admirable endeavor.
Me too. Me too.

And it is one that can be personal if we let it.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
This is a funny story.

Before I left my mission, I sold my bike and my camera to Kevin Rahm (Ted Chaugh of Mad Men.) Oh, damn, Aaron Echkart was also in my mission. Anyways. I used the money I got from Kevin to buy a watch in Lausanne, Switzerland. About 15 years later it stopped working. My wife took it to a shop to have it fixed a few years ago. They sent it to Switzerland and the manufacturer said it was too old and too far gone. The sent it back, broken. My wife refused to give up. We found someone this year that would rebuild it. It is kind of a big deal to her. And the watch has moon phase and weekday and date and month and all this crap on it which is unique and expensive AF to get on a watch now.

Anyways. We are getting dressed up today to go to town and get dinner and get the watch back. It is working again.

I wish I could call Kevin Rahm and tell him about it.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 9:28 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
This is a funny story.

Before I left my mission, I sold my bike and my camera to Kevin Rahm (Ted Chaugh of Mad Men.) Oh, damn, Aaron Echkart was also in my mission. Anyways. I used the money I got from Kevin to buy a watch in Lausanne, Switzerland. About 15 years later it stopped working. My wife took it to a shop to have it fixed a few years ago. They sent it to Switzerland and the manufacturer said it was too old and too far gone. The sent it back, broken. My wife refused to give up. We found someone this year that would rebuild it. It is kind of a big deal to her. And the watch has moon phase and weekday and date and month and all this crap on it which is unique and expensive AF to get on a watch now.

Anyways. We are getting dressed up today to go to town and get dinner and get the watch back. It is working again.

I wish I could call Kevin Rahm and tell him about it.
Neat story! I don't think anybody that I met in my mission became famous, except the mission president...
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Binger wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:02 am

I have my own angels. Funny, right? They are iron workers and cowboys. Gunslingers and welders. They are fishermen and builders. They drive old trucks, repair their own pipeliners and sling bandaliers. They ride horses and Harleys. I dispatch them at will and call on them. They are fixers and they are loyal. To me, that is what friends are about and that is what I would expect from an angel. I am committed, and have them tattooed from my wrist to my shoulder.
I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but this is one of the more homoerotic things I've read on this board. Good for you, Binger.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Morley wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:42 pm
Binger wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:02 am

I have my own angels. Funny, right? They are iron workers and cowboys. Gunslingers and welders. They are fishermen and builders. They drive old trucks, repair their own pipeliners and sling bandaliers. They ride horses and Harleys. I dispatch them at will and call on them. They are fixers and they are loyal. To me, that is what friends are about and that is what I would expect from an angel. I am committed, and have them tattooed from my wrist to my shoulder.
This is one of the more homoerotic things I've read on this board. Good for you, Binger.
Explain.