Joseph Smith's Denial of the Peace Maker pamphlet

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
High Priest

Joseph Smith's Denial of the Peace Maker pamphlet

Post by sock puppet »

"The Peace Maker" is a two chapter pamphlet written by Udney Hay Jacob and published in 1842 in Nauvoo, bearing also the name of Joseph Smith as a co-author. It "deals in substantial part with Biblical marriage laws. The text offers several defenses of polygamy that were later used extensively by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), the Latter Day Saint sect which later migrated to Utah and defended the practice, arguing that polygamy produces greater marital unity than monogamy. The pamphlet also argues vigorously that male authority over females should be absolute and is of divine origin." wikipedia entry.

What I find interesting is Joseph Smith's denial of authorship, and involvement in publication. In the December 1, 1842, issue of Times and Seasons, the official church newspaper, Joseph Smith wrote (italices added):
There was a book printed at my office, a short time since, written by Udney H. Jacobs, on marriage, without my knowledge; and had I been apprised of it, I should not have printed it; not that I am opposed to any man enjoying his privileges; but I do not wish to have my name associated with the authors, in such an unmeaning rigmarole of nonsence [nonsense], folly, and trash.
While Smith denied authorship and also of having given any editorial approval, regarding the substance about polygamy, which specified a man needs three wives in order to get into the Celestial Kingdom, Smith was not "opposed to any many enjoying his privileges."
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
IHAQ
God

Re: Joseph Smith's Denial of the Peace Maker pamphlet

Post by IHAQ »

Perhaps he was seeking to distance himself from scrutiny of his extra curricular activities? Smith was known to deny things that were subsequently demonstrated to be correct. For instance:
What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one.
https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/ans ... e_practice

He had multiple wives at the point he claimed to have only one wife.

More interestingly FAIR still seeks to mislead honest seekers into believing Joseph’s denial to be about auditory, not numbers of wives…
Joseph was refuting the charge of adultery, not the fact that he had "seven wives"
Which clearly falls on its face as an argument when one reads the actual words used by Smith. He’s clearly denying having more than one wife and FAIR is being deliberately dishonest.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Joseph Smith certainly was a hypocrite. Too bad FAIR still thinks it necessary to continue with the myth surrounding him. But it is part of what bothered me about Mormonism prior to leaving. It seems that everyone knew at least some of the truth about the history but kept up the lie for the supposed "innocents" that might not be in the know. It was a silly hypocrisy that was continually perpetuated and probably has its origins with how Smith selectively told people things and was obsessed with secrets. The folks at FAIR know the truth yet lie because the supposed meat is too much to bear for the supposed others they look down on.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Cool stuff, sock puppet. Thanks for sharing this.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow