Are mind-altering drugs "bad"?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Are mind-altering drugs "bad"?

Post by KevinSim »

sock puppet wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:47 pm
Just because your dopamine rush followed your praying, it does not logically follow that your dopamine rush was triggered by "God".
I didn't say my dopamine rush was triggered by God; I said my dopamine rush was the answer God wanted me to have to my question.
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:29 pm
sock puppet wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:47 pm
Just because your dopamine rush followed your praying, it does not logically follow that your dopamine rush was triggered by "God".
I didn't say my dopamine rush was triggered by God; I said my dopamine rush was the answer God wanted me to have to my question.
and you know that because...?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

sock puppet wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:16 am
and you know that because...?
That's a fair question, Sock Puppet. I get up in Fast and Testimony Meetings sometimes and claim I know things based on the truth of such statements. I confess I do not have a step by step series of statements proceeding from generally accepted axioms to the conclusion I expressed. When I say I know that I got the answer God wanted me to have, I meant that I am certain someone conscious has existed in this universe from the moment of the Big Bang until today, that I would find it very hard to believe anybody but a good God could stay sane after 13 billion such years, and that I would also find it very hard to believe that a good God would let someone ask in desperation a foundational question about Her/Him and not insure that that someone got a helpful answer.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Tator wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 11:22 pm
I don't want to live in a model past, present or future, I want reality.
Tator, my point was that just as there were some improvements in forms of government between 1600 and 1800, there might also be improvements with religious group's ability to reflect reality between 2000 and some future point.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

High Spy wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:07 am
For every good drug there are dozens of bad ones.
Can you name me some "good" drugs?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:17 am
Zyprexa, Effexor, and Adderall. They changed my life for the better!
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:17 am
High Spy wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:07 am
For every good drug there are dozens of bad ones.
Provigil once gave me my life back from 5 years of clinical depression-- it saved my life. Bosulif (not a mind-altering drug) is keeping me alive.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

My apologies. I thought he was referring to illegal drugs.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 10:57 am
My apologies. I thought he was referring to illegal drugs.
You’re right he was. I can’t think of any good reason to use illegal drugs. I suppose depending on the person, the use of illegal drugs often becomes a habit, and habits often become lifestyles. I am reminded of the phrase, “You are a slave to whatever masters you.” I’d say the risk outweighs the benefit.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7